R lens image thread.

jaapv

Also the Elmarit R 15mm with lens booster, together giving an around 16mm view in FF. So I could come very near to the opening (of the letter "O"), giving the Matterhorn with surroundings. Being at home I cropped the picture strongly.

The Matterhorn is firmly anchored in the marketing of Zermatt. For my feeling a little too much. Here a beer advertising in the underground train to Sunegga.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jankap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just to see how the Telyt 560/6.8 (here at f/11-16) works. TL on tripod.

• Like 5

Hi, ... (SONY A7R2 - LEITZ Elmarit-R 2,8/135 f 4 ; massive crop) :

• Like 6

Wheat, taken with the macro function of the Vario-Elmar 4/35-70.

Leica R5 and Fuji Superia 400.  As others have commented, this Vario-Elmar is a remarkably useful lens.

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another macro example from the same combination.

• Like 7

Same lens, camera, film stock but taking the longer view.  Not a lot of winching going on here any more.

Edited by John Robinson
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Since we seem to be having a zoom-fest, I have been trying to capture this (slight) oddity that has been frequenting our house surrounds. It's a fantail ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_fantail )

They do NOT sit still, and if they do, it is very fleetingly. And they are not normally light coloured like this, this one is quite white.

My only real equipment suitable amounts to an SL (Typ601), and a selection of R primes, 90 Summicron being the longest. I recently sourced a cheap R zoom, too cheap to pass up, a nice 70-210 f4.

Then it was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, and shooting until I got something. Not perfect, but happy. The shot on the hedge is a significant crop, the shot in the Wisteria vine is full frame, about 6 feet away (too close almost). You takes what you gets............

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, gbealnz said:

Since we seem to be having a zoom-fest, I have been trying to capture this (slight) oddity that has been frequenting our house surrounds. It's a fantail ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_fantail ) ... And they are not normally light coloured like this, this one is quite white.

I agree that it is an unusual colouring for a fantail, Gary.  It's a rare fantail that has Leucism, which is a genetic condition that causes complete or partial loss of pigmentation but is different from Albinism.  I think I prefer the leucistic colouring of 'your' fantail to a normal one.

As it happens a chap in Taranaki befriended and photographed a leucistic fantail too last year.

Pete.

Cheers Pete, and I've just read the Taranaki article, very interesting. Great to have this wide and interesting knowledge on this forum.

This one is similar, it is past the verandah all day, back and forth. On this occasion I simply sat outside, in the sun, waiting.

Wonderful to just see it, let alone get a pic........

Edited by gbealnz
Added text
  • Like 1

Sony A7RII with (I think) the R 75-200mm,  1/4000 and ISO of 3200 but didn't note the f#.  A shot from the hip and image heavily cropped, maybe 20% of image.

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, pridbor said:

Sony A7RII with (I think) the R 75-200mm,  1/4000 and ISO of 3200 but didn't note the f#.  A shot from the hip and image heavily cropped, maybe 20% of image.

beautiful shot..can you please also post the uncropped version?

1 hour ago, pridbor said:

Mighty fine shot from the hip, I doubt I could achieve that looking through the finder. Awesome.

So here's the full image. I had more luck than talent :)  and it could also have been taken with my 35mm Elmarit;  I'm not good at remembering my setups.  I was about 10-12ft from the birds, so if someone with a bit of trigonometry capability can figure out the right angle etc. then we will know what lens I used :)from this full (approx. 1.5m wide) image.  I also normally only use the eye finder, not the LCD screen.

Some of these hummingbirds are very aggressive/protective of their food source, which is just out of the photo, chasing all other hummingbirds away, like the bomb-diving bird to the right, and the other putting on the brakes :)

• Like 4

On 8/21/2021 at 7:10 PM, pridbor said:

So here's the full image. I had more luck than talent :)  and it could also have been taken with my 35mm Elmarit;  I'm not good at remembering my setups.  I was about 10-12ft from the birds, so if someone with a bit of trigonometry capability can figure out the right angle etc. then we will know what lens I used :)from this full (approx. 1.5m wide) image.  I also normally only use the eye finder, not the LCD screen.

Some of these hummingbirds are very aggressive/protective of their food source, which is just out of the photo, chasing all other hummingbirds away, like the bomb-diving bird to the right, and the other putting on the brakes :)

Between the 75-200 zoom or the 35 Elmarit, I would say this came from the Elmarit and if shot from the hip, I would say the plane of focus was a very lucky choice.  

Of course, if it had been taken on a Leica using the R-Adapter L then the focal length could be recorded in the Exif data.  In the case of the ROM lenses, this is automatic and in the case of ROM zooms the lens will tell the camera the focal length at which the shot was taken.  A great argument in favour of Leica R lenses on Leica cameras.

Edited by John Robinson

Hi, a bar (bird at rest (😁 )) ... (SONY A7R2 - LEITZ Elmarit-R 2,8/135 f 4 ; crop) :

• Like 6

R 28:

• Like 13

R 28:

• Like 13

20 hours ago, John Robinson said:

Of course, if it had been taken on a Leica using the R-Adapter L then the focal length could be recorded in the Exif data.  In the case of the ROM lenses, this is automatic and in the case of ROM zooms the lens will tell the camera the focal length at which the shot was taken.  A great argument in favour of Leica R lenses on Leica cameras.

It also works on Panasonic DC-S1(R) cameras.   😉