Summarit 75mm

kengai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So they have identical size, weight, focus action, ergonomics, build quality, hood design...?

Did Sean test for flare control?

Jeff

Would you expect two lenses made by two manufacturers to be 'identical'? Why should they even be 'identical? They aren't 'identical' in image rendering either, or the price. They are close enough for most people. Can't remember if Reid did a 'flare control' test, and I'm not wading through the article again to find out, but I'm sure the Summarit wasn't far behind the Voigtlander.

Would you expect two lenses made by two manufacturers to be 'identical'? Why should they even be 'identical? They aren't 'identical' in image rendering either, or the price. They are close enough for most people. Can't remember if Reid did a 'flare control' test, and I'm not wading through the article again to find out, but I'm sure the Summarit wasn't far behind the Voigtlander.

Of course I wouldn’t expect any of these factors to be identical, which is why I mentioned them. You wrote that only finer, subtle differences in rendering (or price) should enter the purchase decision. Yet people make purchase decisions while considering many other small, subtle differences in lens characteristics, as evidenced by countless comments here regarding all sorts of lenses. And I failed to mention minimum focus distance, which Andy added.

I mentioned flare control specifically since it’s a key characteristic of the Summarits, and one that enters the buying equation for some (especially compared to the Summicrons), so wondered how The Voigtlander fared.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

It is certainly possible that a manufacturer has much more costs to gain half a stop while at the same time maintaining a more or less equal IQ.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 75 Summarit is one of my favourite Leica lenses.

I wrote a review on it back in 2012! (f/2.5 version of course) that is still regularly accessed via Google searches:

https://prosophos.com/2012/01/26/the-leica-75mm-summarit-f2-5/

I’ve owned the 75 Summicron and 75 Summilux as well, but in many ways prefer the little 75mm Summarit.

—Peter.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2018 at 10:19 PM, Prosophos said:

I wrote a review on it back in 2012! (f/2.5 version of course) that is still regularly accessed via Google searches:

I’ve owned the 75 Summicron and 75 Summilux as well, but in many ways prefer the little 75mm Summarit.

—Peter.

Hi Peter - just wanted to say thank you for providing a link to your excellent and well-considered lens review - much appreciated. I've had the 75 Summarit (2.5) version since it was first introduced and particularly enjoyed using as a portrait lens on the CCD version of the MM. I no longer have the MM but still have the 75 Summarit - which reminds- me I really should whack it on the SL ort the M10 and make some photos - has been a while.! -:)

atb

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2018 at 2:19 PM, Prosophos said:

—Peter.

Nice review indeed.... And how well they perform on the M9...

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
vor 5 Minuten schrieb Keith (M):

But not once the lens hood is screwed on, which increase the 60.5mm length to circa 87mm - unfortunately. 

You do not have to take the original Lens Hood (I do not like them either, I use a foldable rubber Lens Hood.) Fully extended total length maximal = 90mm

p.s.: And disturbs much less in the viewfinder.

Edited by Reini

4 hours ago, Wolusylvester said:

The main advantage of the Summarit 75mm 2.4 ( to 75 mm 2.5.) is the shorter minimum distance of 70 cm. The high Quality is undisputed.

Wolu

The one reason I went for a used (very well priced( Summicron 75 and sold my 2.5. At that time, the 2.4 version was not available. I loved the Summarit - fortunately, the Summicron is excellent, too.

14 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Or no hood, given flare resistance noted earlier.

Jeff

As Jeff says. Both the 75 and 90 are very flare resistant. Mechanical protection in some circumstances is a different matter. Maybe there a screw-on hood works better, as it does not slide in and the occasional ding is then part of the hood and not part of the lens ...