Summarit 75mm

kengai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Timely thread as I'm thinking about picking up a 75mm lens in the near future and have been weighing the pros and cons of the Summarit and the Summicron. I have the 35mm/2.4 ASPH Summarit and think it's a great lens so naturally I've been leaning towards the 75mm Summarit.

I was a bit concerned about the rubber focusing ring on the Summarit since that seems to be called out as a negative in every review of the lens I've read, but I checked out the lens at my local Leica store on the weekend and I don't see what the fuss is about - the ring didn't feel like rubber to me and I would have never guessed that it was if I hadn't been told. It really didn't feel any different than the ring on the Summicron IMO. Is it possible that Leica has changed it in the latest production runs of the lens? I'm curious and will drop an email to Leica to find out for sure.

The only other thing I'm curious about is the lack of an Aspherical element in the Summarit. I haven't heard anyone complain about spherical abberation with the lens so I'm going to assume it's a non-issue.

The only other thing I'm curious about is the lack of an Aspherical element in the Summarit. I haven't heard anyone complain about spherical abberation with the lens so I'm going to assume it's a non-issue.

ASPHerical elements and Spherical aberration are not directly connected. A lens can have very low SA with all-spherical elements (e.g. 75 Summarit), and a lens with an Aspherical element may still have some SA (e.g. 35 f/1.4 ASPH v.1).

It just depends on how the lens designer chooses to use the ASPH surface as a tool (maybe to correct SA, but perhaps to correct chromatic or some other aberration, or simply reduce size/number of elements without losing performance).

• Like 3

ASPHerical elements and Spherical aberration are not directly connected. A lens can have very low SA with all-spherical elements (e.g. 75 Summarit), and a lens with an Aspherical element may still have some SA (e.g. 35 f/1.4 ASPH v.1).

It just depends on how the lens designer chooses to use the ASPH surface as a tool (maybe to correct SA, but perhaps to correct chromatic or some other aberration, or simply reduce size/number of elements without losing performance).

Thanks for the clarification.

I have the Summarit 75/2.5. Tested it against the APO once - and my eyes couldn't see a meaningful IQ difference that could justify the APO.

However, it's fair to say that the APO feels more solid and better built. As a matter of fact, my Summarit had to be returned to Solms under warranty after the aperture ring started to spin freely within weeks of very moderate use. It's been fine ever since and is a great alternative to my 75/1.4 for travels or when I want a more modern rendering.

Today, I'd probably get the 75/2.4 because of the shorter MFD.

• Like 2

I have the Summarit 75/2.5. Tested it against the APO once - and my eyes couldn't see a meaningful IQ difference that could justify the APO.

However, it's fair to say that the APO feels more solid and better built. As a matter of fact, my Summarit had to be returned to Solms under warranty after the aperture ring started to spin freely within weeks of very moderate use. It's been fine ever since and is a great alternative to my 75/1.4 for travels or when I want a more modern rendering.

Today, I'd probably get the 75/2.4 because of the shorter MFD.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I'm probably going to go for the Summarit 2.4 and put the difference towards another M-A body :)

Edited by logan2z

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't use 75 all that often, but have been happy with the Voightlander f2.5 when I do - & super value considering low usage.  Crisp images

I use 75mm often, beside my 35mm ...

Thought about a Summicron 2/75 or a Summarit 75.

But after viewing several examples I decided to keep my tiny Voigtländer 2,5/75 as it's Bokeh is simply great :wub:

My most exciting Heliar example is still this photo:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

I was a bit concerned about the rubber focusing ring on the Summarit since that seems to be called out as a negative in every review of the lens I've read, but I checked out the lens at my local Leica store on the weekend and I don't see what the fuss is about - the ring didn't feel like rubber to me and I would have never guessed that it was if I hadn't been told. It really didn't feel any different than the ring on the Summicron IMO. Is it possible that Leica has changed it in the latest production runs of the lens? I'm curious and will drop an email to Leica to find out for sure.

I emailed Leica USA and got a response about the rubber focusing ring.  It is, in fact, still rubber in the latest production .  They said that in the event that it does discolor (for example, it if comes into contact with a harsh chemical) then it can usually be restored using Armor All.  In the worst case, it is apparently a very easy part to replace.  Doesn't sound like a big issue to me.

The 75mm f2.4 is one impressive lens. Right up there at the top of Leica lenses in terms of sharpness and build quality per dollar spent. Fits in perfectly with my standard M outfit with the 21mm f3.4 SEM, 35mm f1.4 FLE ad 135/3.4 APO.

• Like 1

As it happens, I just the other day shot an impromptu test of my 75 Summarit f/2.4 against another Leica lens, on the M10.

I think it is the single best 75/90 Leica has ever made, optically. Especially wide-open. And that includes the 75 Summicron at most distances, although I'm willing to look at others' examples, and of course it is not the fastest, and that doesn't include "unquantifiables" such as bokeh. I'd even put it up against any Leica 50mm except perhaps the Summicron APO (never tried that).

I like the f/2.4 for the 0.7m close-focus, but other than that, the f/2.5 performs identically (I happily used the f/2.5 for 4 years).

attachicon.gif75Sum2-4.jpg

This is a great thread - I did not realize that the 75 Summarit is such a stellar performer.  Of all the 75s, I would add the 75/2.4 to my kit before any of the others, even though the 75 Summilux has always been an interesting lens.

Edited by Herr Barnack

I don't use 75 all that often, but have been happy with the Voightlander f2.5 when I do - & super value considering low usage.  Crisp images

The only reason to chose a Summarit over a Voigtlander 2.5 are down to individual preferences in the finer subtleties of rendering. But the reason to chose a Voigtlander over a Summarit is the price. Sean Reid has a side by side test of the two lenses.

The only reason to chose a Summarit over a Voigtlander 2.5 are down to individual preferences in the finer subtleties of rendering. But the reason to chose a Voigtlander over a Summarit is the price. Sean Reid has a side by side test of the two lenses.

So they have identical size, weight, focus action, ergonomics, build quality, hood design...?

Did Sean test for flare control?

Jeff

This is a great thread - I did not realize that the 75 Summarit is such a stellar performer......

All the Summarits are superb, especially the 35 and 75, according to many users reporting here over the years, as well as tests by Puts and others. Better performance in some respects than same focal length Summicrons. Build quality and materials is more typically the concern, although many feel that’s not an issue.

Jeff

Build quality and materials is more typically the concern, although many feel that’s not an issue.

I really haven't heard much in the way of negatives re: materials/build quality - aside from the rubber focusing ring which doesn't seem to really be an issue.

I really haven't heard much in the way of negatives re: materials/build quality - aside from the rubber focusing ring which doesn't seem to really be an issue.

A search will bring up discussions, including prior hood design. But most negative comments seem to be from folks who never owned the lenses. Leica fans aren’t used to relatively low prices, and Leica itself has never really hyped the line.

I’ve never been a fan of 75mm frame lines, but the improved VF of the M10 has prompted me to consider adding the 75 Summarit. I have no qualms about its quality, build or IQ.

Jeff

The only reason to chose a Summarit over a Voigtlander 2.5 are down to individual preferences in the finer subtleties of rendering.......

- and close-focus range, especially with the f/2.4. And 6-bit coding, for those who care.

I tried the 75 C/V f/2.8 way back when. A bit "portraity" wide-open, plenty sharp stopped down. A great competitor against the 90 Tele-Elmarits for size and price, but even then still falls behind in getting close and tight.

Agree, but hardly possible to get anymore