Summarit 75mm

kengai

My one was excellent on M8, so as on M240... don't see reason for it isn't as good on M10 : only minor defect : quality of the rubber which tends to un-uniform graying (there have even been discussions on remedies about, in the Forum)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

While do not have M10, on M9 and M240, the summarit 75mm was the backdoor to acquiring the Summicron 75mm APO. It was very good, and an excellent introduction to this focal length. Enjoy, but be careful, you may take that route too. Regards.

Given the outstanding high ISO of the M10, it's almost as no-brainer to buy the Summarit today. I bought the 75mm Summilux in my film days.

Edited by pico

Given the outstanding high ISO of the M10, it's almost as no-brainer to buy the Summarit today. I bought the 75mm Summilux in my film days.

I had the 75 Summilux back in my film days as well. I struggled to love it, but it was fairly big and heavy and hard to get consistent focus accuracy. It was one of the lenses I really don't miss and don't regret selling. I loved the idea of the Summilux, but in practice it was not ideal. I know, heresy. As you say, with the M10, the Summarit is almost a no-brainer.

As it happens, I just the other day shot an impromptu test of my 75 Summarit f/2.4 against another Leica lens, on the M10.

I think it is the single best 75/90 Leica has ever made, optically. Especially wide-open. And that includes the 75 Summicron at most distances, although I'm willing to look at others' examples, and of course it is not the fastest, and that doesn't include "unquantifiables" such as bokeh. I'd even put it up against any Leica 50mm except perhaps the Summicron APO (never tried that).

I like the f/2.4 for the 0.7m close-focus, but other than that, the f/2.5 performs identically (I happily used the f/2.5 for 4 years).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by adan
  • Like 4

Another couple with the 75mm f/2.4, showing its softer side.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Good question.

I go without, to keep the short size, and because the slighly rounded nose with the hood threads exposed "feels" even smaller and gentler (I didn't receive the cover-up ring when I bought mine used anyway).

I haven't done any real-world shots that really test the flare-resistance - I do know it passes my "dining-room chandelier acid test" that starkly reveals the barrel flare of the 90TE and 135 APO.

Flare test of the 75/2.5 w/o hood (Sony A7s mod).

No problem when the sun is into the frame:
Usual issue when the sun is just outside the frame:

I think it is the single best 75/90 Leica has ever made, optically. Especially wide-open. And that includes the 75 Summicron at most distances ...

Indeed. In my tests, the Summarit-M 75 mm is even sharper than the Apo-Summicron-M 75 mm Asph, at the frame's center. However, the Apo-Summicron's performance is more even across the field and hence, slightly better than the Summarit's at the edges (at or near full aperture). And albeit the Summarit has beautiful bokeh, the Apo-Summicron's is even nicer (by a small margin). On the other hand, the Summarit has significantly less inclination to flare and is easier to focus.

I prefer the Summarit-M 75 mm over the Apo-Summicron-M 75 mm Asph any day.

Assuming it is working right, the 75 f/2 probably does better at 0.7 meters than the f/2.4 - floating element. I haven't really checked that, since most of my 0.7m shots are at smaller apertures anyway (studio, flash, f/11). I just know they both are razor sharp at that aperture and distance.

The moment we introduce value for money this discussion stops. Summarit wins any day. If money is no object then the list of pros and cons is elegantly outlined by adan and 01af in particular. I use 75 a good deal and currently have the Summarit 2.5 and the Summicron. The Summarit will be sold because of the lovely OOF and 70cm focusing of the Summicron. But this is heart over head - whoever buys the Summarit gets a bargain and a damned fine lens. For the record, recently I have trended to using it without hood.

• Like 1