Color cast issue: Leica SL vs. S?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My SL just came back from a minor repair for the SD card holder, which was not locking the card into its slot. Supposedly, it involved Leica taking the camera apart and putting in a whole new card holder, which was labor intensive. Leica also added the latest firmware upgrade at the same time.

Since receiving the camera, it seems that the color cast has changed and it is tinted to green/blue. 

Some examples are below, along with the last one which is a snap of the blue sky taken with the S 006 at the same time.  These were all taken with Auto white balance and are straight out of the camera jpegs, with no processing.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on, or what may have happened?  I have cross-posted on the SL thread.

Thanks,

Rob

Attached Images
  • post-43259-0-65615600-1530458574.jpg
  • post-43259-0-09774200-1530458580.jpg
  • post-43259-0-83558400-1530458630.jpg
  • post-43259-0-64992700-1530458637.jpg
Edited by ropo54

Shoot raw and see what happens, much less in-camera processing...

john

Raw images:  The files are a bit closer. The SL image adjusted. I did not see much change in the S image.

SL on top

S on bottom

Adan commented on the SL forum that it may be due to Leica's recent firmware upgrade.

Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54

I haven’t noticed a shift in rendering by AWB of the DNG files. That is based on shoots including white studio background. I will shoot some comparison frames shortly S (Typ 007) and SL

• Like 1

Thanks, Geoff. I just cannot figure out why the files seem so discrepant. My pre-repair SL files seem so different in terms of the hue/tint.  

JaapV: I just cannot figure out what Leica could have done when they disassembled whatever they had to do to replace the card reader. (They did the firmware upgrade too). I know it was surprisingly complicated in terms of labor. Here's the repair receipt. The files are definitely different from how they looked before in terms of green and blue.

The 2 photos attached were taken this afternoon. The first with the SL and the next with the Leica T. Both DNG files.

Rob

Edited by ropo54

Take it off AWB and set a specific color temp to compare apples to apples.

Jeff

I am going to reinstall the firmware. I did shoot at some different WB settings and I'll post those shortly. In the interim, here's a pre-repair snap (top) with the SL. Granted, different time of day, different lighting, etc . . . but the hue or color cast is just different. This was AWB and DNG file. Some minimal post processing, but, again, the color cast is just different to my eyes. (Look at the skin tones, for instance).

Edited by ropo54

Yep, not close.

Jeff

Camera will not let me install the new firmware. I get the message that the "update file is same version as current firmware". Do not know how to override that to do a reinstall. 

Camera will not let me install the new firmware. I get the message that the "update file is same version as current firmware". Do not know how to override that to do a reinstall.

Maybe it will let you downgrade first.

A good point in raised in your parallel thread is to make sure you’ve eliminated any import presets, and tried the alternative profiles in the LR camera calibration panel.

Jeff

"necessary materials main board"? they changed the main motherboard ?

I do not know what they did, nor whether it was the motherboard, or whether that is a reference to the card holder.  

Funny thing is, I did nothing untoward, ever, with removing my cards. Leica says that 'I must have tried pulling the card out', which is why the holder broke (which I did not).  They did end up discounting their bill to 50% due to the unusualness of the failure and Leica Miami's assistance.

I was explained that there was a lot of disassembly and assembly to get the card holder replaced.

Maybe it will let you downgrade first.

A good point in raised in your parallel thread is to make sure you’ve eliminated any import presets, and tried the alternative profiles in the LR camera calibration panel.

Jeff

No . . . the photos have simply been opened up in Photos on my iMac.  Not a pre-set in LR.

Or critical color comparisons, I hope?

Jeff

I'm convinced there is a problem. My next step is to the Leica store for some comparisons shots tomorrow; that should answer whether there's an issue.

Rob

I'm convinced there is a problem. My next step is to the Leica store for some comparisons shots tomorrow; that should answer whether there's an issue.

Rob

But you’ve missed a simple opportunity to provide them with pics that have taken advantage of built in camera profiles, which Adobe LR provides. Especially when using and comparing two different cameras. Easy to import files into LR and click on profiles.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S