Color cast issue: Leica SL vs. S?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Top photo - through LR

Bottom photo - original 

Color in LR photo is certainly more natural with more red

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Top photo - through LR

Bottom photo - original

Try different profiles in calibration panel.

Obviously even better if you create your own for different lighting conditions.

Jeff

And of course there are many other possible tweaks using different color balance LR settings (daylight, etc), manual temp/tint tweaks, slider adjustments, etc.

I have my own profiles and presets, by camera, often to reduce red bias.

That’s not to say that there’s no issue with your camera, but that still might not inhibit the ability to achieve the look you want.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Thanks, Jeff. Your help is appreciated.  

I want to get to the bottom of the WB issue with my SL.

It was not this way before and it is now.  So . . . what has changed?  

Rob

Actually, I think the original RAW look more natural....

The LR look like a HDR photo.... where as the original has a natural warm hue to it.... not too red.... maybe bit of colder blue tint like most Leica files....

Top photo - through LR

Bottom photo - original 

• Like 1

I think that its really difficult to conclude much here. I always have AWB set and always only shoot DNG. I regard what the AWB suggests as a starting point. You might shoot 50 frames in a similar scene but not have the same default AWB applied. Because I shoot mostly in studio, I typically sample from a test frame including a colour swatch and or a Whibal target and then apply the same WB to a series of frames. But it's all so subjective. If I sample from each of those and perhaps white background paper the answers will vary anyway. Plus what is "correct"? and "accurate" doesn't always mean best. There are just so many variables. In some of your samples you have large areas of similar colour tone too. I wouldn't expect any of my cameras to get that right consistently . I don't have any experience in what the default JPEG renderings are with any of the mentioned cameras though.

If the main board of your SL has been replaced, I would think its entirely possible that the default rendering will differ. a mainboard replacement is effectively a heart transplant and not associated with a card latch. Something significant else has happened to require that remedy I would think,

By the way if it makes you feel better, I sent my S when the CF card latch failed at the end of the warranty and the quote and bill was worse than yours with the back of the camera replaced, shock and liquid damage suspected (not ever to my knowledge) and more

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 1

Rob - it's ironic that the very evident colour cast you're seeing, is the same one I tend to introduce deliberately when I post process. I'm almost tempted to ask whether this modification is available as an after market option!

But of course what you're seeing is a problem, as what you want is a neutral position to work from, not one with a cast. The weather here in the UK is currently ridiculously hot and clear. How about I provide you with a reference image from my SL? If we align the settings then we can create a pretty good comparisson for you to talk to Leica about.

• Like 1

That would be great, Greg.  (By the way, your work with the SL is just terrific!)

Perhaps the new firmware has changed the color cast? I'm going to test shoot some other SLs, along with mine, at Leica Miami today, to see whether whether there is an issue.

Rob

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions.  

I went to Leica Miami today and we shot comparable DNG files with one of their SLs and mine. Apparently there is an issue with my WB sensor. The comparative DNG files are being sent to Germany Leica for their suggestions on either a fix, or a return of the camera for repair.

Rob

• Like 3

I'm convinced there is a problem. My next step is to the Leica store for some comparisons shots tomorrow; that should answer whether there's an issue.

Rob

There is definitely an issue, that’s not for the store to decide, you have demonstrated it clearly. We can’t overrule that with ‘make your own ICC-profile’ in LR as jaapv did here or use RAW as another one stated. Jpeg’s out of camera have to have a minimum level of quality. We’re talking about a renowned brand here, come on. Send it back und mail them a link to this thread. Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

There is definitely an issue, that’s not for the store to decide, you have demonstrated it clearly. We can’t overrule that with ‘make your own ICC-profile’ in LR as jaapv did here or use RAW as another one stated. Jpeg’s out of camera have to have a minimum level of quality. We’re talking about a renowned brand here, come on. Send it back und mail them a link to this thread.

Leica Miami is in agreement that there is an issue that needs to be fixed.

They are contacting Leica Germany to see about the repair process. I have no reason to think that Leica Germany will not deal with this in the proper way.  

Thanks, Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

That would be great, Greg.  (By the way, your work with the SL is just terrific!)

Perhaps the new firmware has changed the color cast? I'm going to test shoot some other SLs, along with mine, at Leica Miami today, to see whether whether there is an issue.

Rob

Looks like you've got a resolution at least in determining that there is a problem. (And thanks as always for the vote of confidence!)

• Like 1

Rob - it's ironic that the very evident colour cast you're seeing, is the same one I tend to introduce deliberately when I post process. I'm almost tempted to ask whether this modification is available as an after market option!

Good point! Your colour palette, Greg, reminds me strongly about 75mm Summilux-M shoot wide open. Beautiful tonal rendering...!

After reviewing the sample comparison photos, Leica Germany says that the SL needs a "sensor calibration", a simple procedure, so I'm told, but one that must go back to them. Should be a fairly quick fix and turnaround. Leica Miami has given me a loaner in the interim.  

Rob

• Like 3