Help? Color cast of SL images

ropo54

Am I right to assume that the malfunctioning WB sensor would only affect photos taken using Auto White Balance ?

Good question . . . I do not know, but would assume that the custom WB settings might be off as well. Just an assumption, though. First, the colors from my SL images could be tweaked in LR to render the images without the biased color cast. And, it seemed to show as being off only with certain colors. (I believe greens, blues) .We did not do extensive enough testing to confirm any further sensor misreadings.

Rob

Edited by ropo54

Good question . . . I do not know, but would assume that the custom WB settings might be off as well. Just an assumption, though. First, the colors from my SL images could be tweaked in LR to render the images without the biased color cast. And, it seemed to show as being off only with certain colors. (I believe greens, blues) .We did not do extensive enough testing to confirm any further sensor misreadings.

Rob

This is part of the reason why I recommended your testing at fixed temp settings, and not introducing another uncontrollable variable with AWB. That’s the way to better ensure apples to apples camera comparisons. You need “one foot on a rock,” as one photo instructor wisely advised when it came to any tests involving multiple variables.

Jeff

• Like 2

This is part of the reason why I recommended your testing at fixed temp settings, and not introducing another uncontrollable variable with AWB. That’s the way to better ensure apples to apples camera comparisons. You need “one foot on a rock,” as one photo instructor wisely advised when it came to any tests involving multiple variables.

Jeff

You are correct, but as things stand now Leica Miami is now aware that there's a sensor issue. They were not concerned with doing more extensive testing at different temperatures when we field tested it. I'm going to just let Leica fix any and all issues with it, and Leica Germany can do any necessary testing to make it right.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

You are correct, but as things stand now Leica Miami is now aware that there's a sensor issue. They were not concerned with doing more extensive testing at different temperatures when we field tested it. I'm going to just let Leica fix any and all issues with it, and Leica Germany can do any necessary testing to make it right.

Rob

I get it. My only point was that would have been the better test for you AND for them. Of course Leica will sort.... now that they apparently screwed it up.

Jeff

• Like 1

Perhaps so, but the point I am trying to make is that there is a noticeable difference between AWB files from pre-repair to post repair, and also between different Leica cameras - the S, T, and the SL 601, with the 601 looking to be most "off" to me.

But it would be interesting to learn if AWB gives a noticeably different WB than Daylight when shooting in bright sun. If this happens consistently, then there may be something wrong with the AWB sensor or firmware.

Addendum: I see that the problem has been identified as a sensor issue. So never mind.

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions.  

So here's the update: I went to Leica Miami today and we shot comparable DNG files with one of their SLs and mine. Apparently there is an issue with my WB sensor. The comparative DNG files are being sent to Germany Leica for their suggestions on either a fix, or a return of the camera for repair.

Rob

There is definitely an issue. And, if I recall correctly, you had earlier posted similar pics taken with SL and S, and there was no colour cast.

Nobody knows your camera better than you. If you find there is a problem, then rest assured there is a problem. Ask Leica shop to resolve it, if you don't find solutions elsewhere.

I had (still have) a similar issue with magenta tint. Took it to the Leica shop, the guy said he also noticed a difference in all SLs. Only solution was to make a new profile. However, the magenta tint is only on the DNG import in LR/PS, and not on jpgs, not with C1 either. 

• Like 2

After reviewing the sample comparison photos, Leica Germany says that the SL needs a "sensor calibration", a simple procedure, so I'm told, but one that must go back to them. Should be a fairly quick fix and turnaround. Leica Miami has given me a loaner in the interim.  

Rob

so possibly a fresh calibration after replacing the main board.

After reviewing the sample comparison photos, Leica Germany says that the SL needs a "sensor calibration", a simple procedure, so I'm told, but one that must go back to them. Should be a fairly quick fix and turnaround. Leica Miami has given me a loaner in the interim.  

Rob

Maybe that is the secret to Leica colors, etc. Maybe they calibrate each sensor to a known color target before it leaves the factory (except in your case where the wrong calibration was loaded).

The other question is if you got an upgraded motherboard like a TL vs T, or the S AF motors which were upgraded before the announcement....

so basically they forgot to calibrate the sensor AWB after replacing the main board.....hopefully they accidentally installed the new 42MP SL2 sensor as well :lol:

I suppose one might conclude that. :)

so basically they forgot to calibrate the sensor AWB after replacing the main board.....hopefully they accidentally installed the new 42MP SL2 sensor as well :lol:

....or the tech cut him/herself, and left a drip of blood on the WB sensor, biasing its sensing towards red and overcorrecting to cyan. ;)

Eeeeew!

• Like 2

What version of LR do you use? Some later versions of LR (mainly LR 7.2) have shown off jpegs like yours on import. It was a bug in the Adobe software. If you load an image an hit the reset button and the colours change then it's an LR issue not a camera one.

Gordon

Gordon:

LR 6.

I was able to adjust/correct the color cast in LR, but, rather, my concern was that there was something that had gone awry in the sensor mechanism.  The issue was on Leica, as the WB sensor's renderings had changed following their service replacing my SD card holder. 

Rob

• Like 1