Help? Color cast of SL images

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My SL just came back from a minor repair for the SD card holder, which was not locking the card into its slot. Supposedly, it involved Leica taking the camera apart and putting in a whole new card holder, which was labor intensive. Leica also added the latest firmware upgrade at the same time.

Since receiving the camera, it seems that the color cast has changed and it is tinted to green/blue. 

Some examples are below, along with the last one which is a snap of the blue sky taken with the S 006 at the same time.  These were all taken with Auto white balance and are straight out of the camera jpegs, with no processing.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on, or what may have happened?

Thanks,

Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54

There is some change with DNG, but the cast is still a bit off. I have shot these with both dng and jpeg settings.  Here's a DNG file.

I just do not recall it being so pronounced before hand.

Edited by ropo54

Just change the default profile for the camera to your taste.

Thanks, but something changed while in Leica's hands, so I was wondering whether there might be something amiss.

Rob

The newest SL firmware (3.2) notes do mention the following:

Additional features....

• Improved image colour for JPG under some light conditions
• Manual colour temperature preset was optimized (Setting changed from 6600K to 6500K [slightly cooler - ed.]

Leica has historically favored "cooler" images (really historical - pre-1990) - one of the key reasons I switched from the Contax G (Zeiss/Japan jest luvved magenta red casts) to Leica's 1980's Mandler lenses (greener). I'm guessing the change puts the SL more in line with the M10's default color palette/profile, which also emphasizes greens and blues and tames reds/purples, compared to the M240 series.

Of course, "improved" and simply "different" is a matter of taste. And sometimes the philosphy is "anything worth doing is worth overdoing." ;)

Right off the bat, I like your "new SL" colors more than the S's purplish sky. But as Jaap says, the "calibration" panel in LR or other raw-capable software is there exactly so you can calibrate your blues more magenta or more cyan, etc. - to suit your own taste, or match a standard such as the X-Rite/Macbeth ColorChecker. (Jpegs are stuck with the color as "baked in" by the camera firmware).

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

Rob... had you updated to 3.2 FW before you sent it in??

No, the camera was in Leica's possession at the time the update came out. It had actually gone to NJ and they returned it to Leica Miami after 7 weeks with no explanation as to why they had done nothing to repair it. Leica Miami just sent it out to Germany and after 6 weeks it came back, with the repair accomplished.  Since then - I got it back about a week ago - the color has been off. Leica did the update while in their possession.

Rob

That actually looks broken. The white balance sensor is the self timer led window. Try cleaning that ?

I think something is definitely off.  I've gone into settings and double checked that the AWB is selected.  I'm hesitant to touch anything till Leica tells me it is "broken" or does not look right.

Taken a few hours ago. DNG file.  Do the skin tones look off?  Perhaps a bit sallow or too yellowish? 

And, here's a DNG file from the Leica T from this afternoon.

If you’re going to set WB in camera, AWB will give less control than choosing a specific WB setting like ‘daylight’ or a specific color temp. Comparisons are more difficult with variable parameters.

Jeff

• Like 1

If you’re going to set WB in camera, AWB will give less control than choosing a specific WB setting like ‘daylight’ or a specific color temp. Comparisons are more difficult with variable parameters.

Jeff

Perhaps so, but the point I am trying to make is that there is a noticeable difference between AWB files from pre-repair to post repair, and also between different Leica cameras - the S, T, and the SL 601, with the 601 looking to be most "off" to me.

Perhaps so, but the point I am trying to make is that there is a noticeable difference between AWB files from pre-repair to post repair, and also between different Leica cameras - the S, T, and the SL 601, with the 601 looking to be most "off" to me.

So you have same picture comparisons pre- update? Or your recollection?

Jeff

you should send the camera back with some example shots...if AWB was fine earlier, why should it be so radically different now? feels like the Red Channel response is muted

i too have the latest FW on my SL and have never seen this kind of dramatic color shift

• Like 1

So you have same picture comparisons pre- update? Or your recollection?

Jeff

Jeff: No, it is recollection. I just have a sense when looking at the "repair" camera photos that something is off. I have not tried the firmware install again. I think I'll give that a try now. Good suggestion, thanks.