Has the new firmware changed the AF speed?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering whether the new TL2 firmware increased the AF speed so that it is comparable to the CL (not that there was a big difference).

I have not seen any comments about it so presume not, but thought I would ask nonetheless.

I'm in the minority but I never really warmed up to the CL, even though the EVF and fast AF were terrific upgrades (and the jpegs were great) compared to the TL2, so looking for an excuse to buy back into the TL2. 

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2

Interestingly, the press release didn’t mention an increase in autofocus speed, but the instructions PDF did! It states that one of new features in the firmware is an “Improvement of the AFc precision and AF speed”

So I’d love to hear from someone with both cameras if they’re on par now; I haven’t had a chance to really test the AF on my TL2 yet, so I can’t speak to an increase in speed on that camera.

• Like 1

Rob,

I updated to 1.4 on my TL2 -

I am  really pleased with -

1...  Enable zoom-in while playback in EVF Viewing images in playback in EVF user can zoom-in with right top dial.  I always wanted this.

2 ..  Improvement of Color Aberration for all TL lenses  - although I am quite sure I can not see the improvements, they must have tweaked it a bit.

3 .. Improvement of the AFc precision and AF speed - I most often shoot manual focus lenses, however, I did try out my 18-56 and it seemed to focus quite rapidly.. it was never an issue for me anyways, but I would dare to say it is a tad faster???

Rick

Hi Rick:

Are the  jpeg files better?  I always found the dng to be much superior out of the camera. (With the CL it was not so apparent).

I'm thinking of reacquiring the TL2. I miss shooting with it.

Rob

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have vacation and will try out improvements. I have "only" 35 TL and leica M optics. (24-35-90) But I think there is a slight improvement with the speed of 35 TL. When I put the obituary on, it made a little update on the lens as well.

Edited by Kim Dahl
  • Like 1

Rob, You peaked my interest, so I took both the 18-56 as well as the 55-135 out today for an extended tour. 

My  conclusions:

the TL2 is  certainly fast enough for my use. 

The auto focus accuracy is definitely better with the new firmware.

The colors are perhaps a bit truer, but hard to confirm..

I never shoot Jpegs unless I want a B&W  view /sample, so I have no idea if they are improved.  

TL2 is still my favorite camera.

Rick

Hot Kitty - TL2 - 55-135

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

TL2 - 18-56

• Like 5

TL2 -55-135

Cat bird

• Like 6

For me it was not so much the AF speed that was the problem.  It was the hunting and the failure to lock AF altogether (mostly in not so good light).

I have a few spots in my apartment where I could not achieve focus with the T and the TL2 and with the CL it was instantaneous.  

I have the impression that has improved a (fair) bit.  Similarly I have the impression that AF is slightly faster.  Not that it leapfrogged to the same level as the CL, certainly not, but there is a noticeable improvement.

I will try to do some more shooting during the 4th of July weekend to get a better feel for the improvements.  

• Like 2

TL2 - 18-56

Great pictures, Rick!

I took out my T today with uploaded firmware. Jpegs are still lagging.  The DNGs are superb. Could not comment on AF as it seems fast "enough".  

Rob

• Like 2

Jaap,

I am sure I  'over-cooked' it in Lightroom - going for detail in feathers . absence of colors in an  all grey bird makes for a dull photo...

also .. in my defense, those rainbow colors in the feathers are actually there, but have to be amped up a bit to see.

Rick

Edited by RickP

Far be it from me to argue with the man on the spot, Rick, but these artefacts are typical for this kind of subject on an AA filterless sensor.Nothing in your postprocessing caused them. You can accept the colour aliasing -I agree that it suits the bird- or paint it out, but the change in structure of the feathers is irreversible.