Never in a million years....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

.... did I dare to dream I would be here!

My name is Ian, I"m a nearly 60 year old severely disabled guy who is bed bound 24/7 and only in my dreams did I become the owner of a Leica camera and even then it was an older film camera.

I'd better explain myself...

About 2 months ago now I had a small heart attack, enough to scare both myself and those around me, but recovered ok and am currently doing well, well out of the blue last Tuesday night my only remaining younger brother rang me for a chat enquiring how I was doing and asking if I'd been using my Sony A7RM3, he then second guessed me by stating that I wasn't really happy with it and had always wanted a Leica hadn't I? to which I replied yes. It turns out he had recently come into some money via cashing in one of his pensions and as he had bought his dream camera (Nikon D850) he felt it was time I had mine.

"There'll be £5,000 in your bank account next Monday, sort out the rest and go buy your dream camera" - I didn't believe him for a minute and thought he was having a bit of fun with me, but every night last week he rang me and teased "nearly there", I was actually getting annoyed at his "prank" when on Monday he just text'd me " check your bank" and there was the five grand!! 

So thanks to the kindness and generosity of my youngest and only remaining brother I am now the proud owner of a Leica M10

Now its just a case of waiting, I have an older Voigtlander 75mm F2.5 from when I used M mount glass with an old Fuji X-Pro1 but thats it at present, not that it worries me now.

And the camera? its everything I hoped it would be, I'm loving it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing your story. I also got my M10 by a lucky event. This fantastic camera would normally be completely out of reach for me. But it was the only camera I wanted, and suddenly my dream came true.

• Like 1

Welcome :) I wish I had such a brother (not that I'm complaining ;) )

I hope you'll be able to get up and about in due course, and enjoy your camera to the full. Get a Voigtlánder 35 with your other lens and you are completely set to go!