28mm Cron or 24mm Elmar?

agencal

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My e-mail limits will not allow DNG, if you look at some of these 267 shots; https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=52616306%40N05&sort=date-taken-desc&text=summicron%2028mm&view_all=1

all are available in download at original uploaded size which is pretty big, certainly I can pick out my poor lenses ;)

I think all are 28mm VI Asph but take care tagging is manual so look at EXIF to be certain. Some early work will be on the M8, if you pick a recent one I can send an untampered jpeg as big as post will allow.

None will be on a tripod but I will tend to shoot at minumum 1/250th also some will be on film :o

I can not even find a unshaky and well focused photo in this flickr files.Maybe this is what this lens can do which is really far from 50 apo and even 24 elmar ☹️

I can not even find a unshaky and well focused photo in this flickr files.Maybe this is what this lens can do which is really far from 50 apo and even 24 elmar ☹️

I can not even find a shaky and badly focused photo in this flicker files.  (Okay, I looked at a couple of photos on top of the page and only browsed through the rest, but still.)  Isn't it weird how perception can differ between people?

• Like 1

I can not even find a shaky and badly focused photo in this flicker files. (Okay, I looked at a couple of photos on top of the page and only browsed through the rest, but still.) Isn't it weird how perception can differ between people?

I think so.Is it possible for you to give a link which you liked most in full size?

Edited by agencal

I sent you by personal e-mail two Jpegs around 8MB and a DNG, I wonder if you could post a link to some of your obviously superior work for me to marvel at?

I sent you by personal e-mail two Jpegs around 8MB and a DNG, I wonder if you could post a link to some of your obviously superior work for me to marvel at?

Thank you and sorry for the delay.I am not a good photographer as you my friend :) Let's say just a pixelpeeper.

Here you are.Some of my old photos with 24mm elmar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahmedgencal/29339257678/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ahmedgencal/42492387294/in/dateposted-public/

Nothing special but at least shows what i am seeking for :)

• Like 1

So what are you waiting for then, or why do you ask?

I just bought 24mm Elmar today.I loved 28mm angle and tried to find a lens which is technically as good as 24mm elmar so i asked.And i must thank everyone here for their information.But i could not find the punch i see at 24mm elmar in any 28mm including 28mm lux.

• Like 1

You will be very happy with the 24 Elmar.

Now time to post some photos.

Give it a month or two and you'll start thinking about your next lens.

Mark

Already started thinking  :D  :D

So with 24 Elmar and 50mm Apo what is needed ?

You’ll need a 75 Noctilux I think. You’ve got nothing special in the selective focus area at the moment.

• Like 1

I'd still think about getting a 2.8/28 Elmarit

If you shoot wide and had bought the 28 to accompany the 50 I'd say get the 21 SEM.  

With 50 and now 24 I guess you would space it further and go to the 18?

If you're going in the other direction then a 90 Summicron.

Just get all of them.  GAS is a terrible disease: you buy a new lens and temporarily decompress, but that pressure just builds up again and again requiring repeated lens purchases for transient symptom control. There is no cure, just palliation  :-)

• Like 2

Just get all of them.  GAS is a terrible disease: you buy a new lens and temporarily decompress, but that pressure just builds up again and again requiring repeated lens purchases for transient symptom control. There is no cure, just palliation  :-)

+2...and then spend WEEKS trying to figure out which setup to travel with, LOL...

21-35-75?

18-24-35-75?

18-28-50-90?

Those are the three I constantly shuffle between locally, then try to decide on when travelling.

For the super-wide end I tend to either use a 21mm f3.4 Super Elmar with my 35mmf1.4 and 75mm f2.4, or instead use the 24/3.8 and 18mm f3.8 combination as a more dynamic wide to super-wide option compared to just the 21mm f3.4.

When I travel with my other system and standard 24-xxx zoom, that lens tends to stay at the wide end a large percentage of the time, so 24mm works really well for me as a standard travel prime, even over any 28mm or 35mm prime.

As good as the 21mm f3.4 is, the 24mm f3.8 may be the sharpest lens I own, and the 18mm Super Elmar is where I'd rather be at the super-wide end for most travels away from home where I know I'll have few return trip options and maybe no second/multiple chances at subjects like I do locally. Last Fall I carried just the 21/3.4 to the Canadian Rockies and regretted not having the 18mm on multiple occasions. I won't be making that mistake in a couple of weeks when I travel to the Napa Valley/San Francisco area.

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I will be buying a wide angle to complement my 50mm Apo on M10.I will be using it for travel photography mostly.

I have tried and compaired 24 Elmar with 28 Elmarit(new one) and found Elmar more crisp,more clearence and micro contrast and life like corner to corner comparing 28mm elmarit.

I could not have a chance to try 28 cron and if it is better than elmar it would be good to have some more stops of light.

When i look at the mtf graphs of cron they look great but i could not find a full size sample which shows that.They all look soft and contrastless.Look is no where near 24 Elmar.

Some people say it is a razor sharp lens corner to corner but sone says bad focus shift and soft lens(even the newest one) .I am a bit confiused.

I can even go for 28mm lux if it is beter macth for 50mm apo for clearence and micro contrast and modern look.

Please help me

I am a previous owner of a 2003 birth date 28mm Summicron ASPH  #11604 (the  one with the goofy looking plastic lens hood) and cannot agree with the above. 

I shot with the 28 'cron on both film and digital M cameras (MP, M4-P and M240) and found it to be an outstanding lens in terms of image  quality and rendering.  My copy was very sharp; I had no complaints regarding sharpness. 

At f/2,  it was sharp but somehow still managed to give my Fuji Velvia 50 chromes a velvety rendering.  Some may say, "Aha!  Velvety!  That's not sharp!!"  but my RVP chromes were both sharp and velvety at f/2.  I can't really explain it, but that is the term that best fits the rendering of my copy of this lens.  Stopped down to f/5.6 to f/8, my 28 'cron was razor sharp.

If the images you have seen that were shot with a 28 'cron #11604 were soft and contrastless, all I can figure is that there was something wrong with that particular lens or the person who made the images was doing something very wrong technique wise.

• Like 2