Firmware Update 2.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see, that does not sound good...  it is very difficult to do the update then?   how do you know it is a current firmware or not?

It's easy. The instructions are in the owners manual for how to check current firmware version, and loading the new firmware is a simple procedure detailed in the info sheet that accompanies the firmware update. Should take five minutes.

• Like 2

I see, that does not sound good...  it is very difficult to do the update then?   how do you know it is a current firmware or not? 

I think when I updated my firmware it took less than ten minutes. 2-5 minutes to download the new version to my laptop, a moment to transfer that to a SD card, place the SD card in the CL, turn the CL on and activate the update, which was less than five minutes. Easy process.

• Like 1

Another question... : 

If you get a new CL without the newest firmware, and do not update it... what would be the bad effect or consequence in the application of this CL?  

You wouldn't have the ability to reassign the left and right dial functions. And you wouldn't have whatever other unlisted bug fixes and imaging improvements Leica has incorporated into fw 2.0. 

Say if there is a Firmware 3.0 in the future, without upgrading to 2.0, can you go from 1.0 to 3.0 update?

Of course. But why? 

Perhaps you misunderstood: What's difficult for a manufacturer is to update all the already packaged cameras and to revise the production line to incorporate the new firmware when building a package. There is no difficulty whatever in doing the firmware update to a user's camera on a one at a time basis, after the for-sale package has been opened. :)

• Like 3

None whatsoever.  Firmware 2.0 only contains very minor changes

In the future new firmware might contain more substantial improvements.  It might also provide support for new lenses.  Without upgrading you would not be able to shoot those new lenses then.  Up till that happens you could happily shoot version 1.0 of the firmware though if you wanted.  

Depends on your wants.

Being able to decide which wheel does what by default is a pretty major step up in functionality for me. Now I know that whether I am in A-mode or S-mode, Exposure Compensation is always on the right wheel. 

YMMV

There is no harm done by not taking the update, but you're missing out on functionality.

But anyone capable of using a CL should have the minimal skills needed to update the firmware.

• Like 2

Depends on your wants.

Being able to decide which wheel does what by default is a pretty major step up in functionality for me. Now I know that whether I am in A-mode or S-mode, Exposure Compensation is always on the right wheel. 

YMMV

My mileage actually does not vary.  I still have the T and the TL2 and having the wheels operate in the same way over the 3 cameras is very much welcomed.

I always shoot Manual with Auto ISO and the fact that the wheels operated exactly the opposite was driving me insane (to put it mildly).

That being said, all in all and in the whole scheme of things I believe it is still fair to say that these are minor improvements although very welcomed.  

• Like 1

Proof that minor improvements can help keeping one's sanity. Just kidding. I found the weels perfectly implemented from scratch personally but the new stand-by mode after 10 seconds works fine with less than one second wake up time which is also perfect for me. Kudos to Leica for that.

• Like 1

Another question... : 

If you get a new CL without the newest firmware, and do not update it... what would be the bad effect or consequence in the application of this CL?  

Of course you could. But why would you want to do so? It's not brain surgery - not even in a digital sense.