Leica Q: Firmware Update v3.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My first lockup today after taking some macro photos and switching back to normal. Nothing would clear it except removing the battery. No change in the Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card. It's approaching three years since I bought the Q. I've been lucky and never had a lockup. I assume this one is related to the latest firmware update.

I am extremely disappointed with Leica. I upgraded to that firmware just before I left to a hiking trip to the Olympic Peninsula and I had to remove the battery twice just to make it work again and I lost in the process a couple of good pictures. Also all my settings got lost, another point of frustration. All the previous firmware updates worked smoothly but that one is a nightmare for me.

again, thinking it's a buffer problem. Leica claims dngs now write faster, but maybe it's something to do with that....and somehow the camera at times flips into video mode on its own and without my noticing, and that, too, might mess up the buffering. 

....and somehow the camera at times flips into video mode on its own and without my noticing, and that, too, might mess up the buffering. 

Interesting to hear that. My Q sometimes flips into the picture viewmode and vice versa. I'm looking at the taken pictures and all of a sudden I'm thrown back into live view.

But I have to admit this was already a problem with firmware 2.0.

Interesting to hear that. My Q sometimes flips into the picture viewmode and vice versa. I'm looking at the taken pictures and all of a sudden I'm thrown back into live view.

But I have to admit this was already a problem with firmware 2.0.

I've noticed this, too. Hadn't noticed it in 2.0, but maybe I wasn't paying so close attention.

My first lockup today after taking some macro photos and switching back to normal. Nothing would clear it except removing the battery. No change in the Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card. It's approaching three years since I bought the Q. I've been lucky and never had a lockup. I assume this one is related to the latest firmware update.

I think the lockups appear randomly. Nothing to do with the firmware version nor the way the camera is used. In daily use freezes may appear twice an hour or once every two months. I've experienced them with all three firmware versions. I bought the Q in 2016. Following your previous post I've put my SanDisk Extreme 80 Mb/s and Lexar Professional 95 Mb/s SD-cards aside and started using SanDisk Extreme PRO-cards exclusively. No freezes yet, but it's been just a week or so. This is apparently something the Leica testing procedure does not reveal. My camera was in Wetzlar and was returned with 'in perfect condition'.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the lockups appear randomly. Nothing to do with the firmware version nor the way the camera is used. In daily use freezes may appear twice an hour or once every two months. I've experienced them with all three firmware versions. I bought the Q in 2016. Following your previous post I've put my SanDisk Extreme 80 Mb/s and Lexar Professional 95 Mb/s SD-cards aside and started using SanDisk Extreme PRO-cards exclusively. No freezes yet, but it's been just a week or so. This is apparently something the Leica testing procedure does not reveal. My camera was in Wetzlar and was returned with 'in perfect condition'.

sorry to say that I have only been using the SanDisk Extreme PROs, and have experienced lock-up--and only since v. 3.0.

Guest tofu_man

sorry to say that I have only been using the SanDisk Extreme PROs, and have experienced lock-up--and only since v. 3.0.

Me too...never had lock-ups before the latest firmware, and I only use SanDisk Extreme PRO cards.

Well, I'd say that 3.0 isn't perfect, but I do believe that even with a possible bug of very infrequent locking up, and a couple of other things that individuals don't like for their own particular reasons, 3.0 is a noticeable improvement. It significantly simplifies an already simple menu and gives the FN button a lot more power. 

• Like 1

I agree with bags27. The improvements far outweigh the negatives IMHO. Even though some have found it very frustrating, I don’t have a big issue with the auto-review. I pretty much never look at it. The improvements with the Fn button and adding the Favorites menu works very well. A fine camera is now better.

• Like 1

I agree with bags27. The improvements far outweigh the negatives IMHO. Even though some have found it very frustrating, I don’t have a big issue with the auto-review. I pretty much never look at it. The improvements with the Fn button and adding the Favorites menu works very well. A fine camera is now better.

auto-preview also doesn`t make sense to me... and please ISO on the display when in EVF mode. still missing it.

improvements are welcome, some of those really comfortable like the favorites menu. Unfortunately (I do not understand why) they forced us to review every time the photo taken has ruined everything.

Well, I'm glad I procrastinated. I've been busy, and not had the time to do the update. Knowing that when you do a firmware update on most cameras, all of the settings return to defaults, I always take the time to go through all the menus and settings and write down all my settings before I do the update, and I haven't had the time.

I'm not too alarmed by the freezes I've read about - but the ones happening to people that didn't have them before the update do worry me - too much of a coincidence. Since I use the camera professionally, having it freeze is anathema to me for the kind of shooting I do. And the Q has been positively bulletproof since the day I bought it, and never had a freeze. I've also standardized on SanDisk ExtremePro 32 and 64GB cards for a long time. Since none of the upgrades are essential to how I shoot, I'll keep it as-is for now, and see how things shake out.

Thank you to everyone who has posted their experiences with the update, it's much appreciated.

Edited by beez
  • Like 1

improvements are welcome, some of those really comfortable like the favorites menu. Unfortunately (I do not understand why) they forced us to review every time the photo taken has ruined everything.

Still don't get this complaint. Set the review time to 0, then either lift off after each shot (which I do naturally anyway), or keep the shutter button half-pressed if you want to see what you've captured.

• Like 3

Still don't get this complaint. Set the review time to 0, then either lift off after each shot (which I do naturally anyway), or keep the shutter button half-pressed if you want to see what you've captured.

In words it seems easy. I do not know how you use the camera, I work with this camera, and if I tell you that after the firmware I can not work, something is changed.

Try to continuously shoot more photos to the same subject, you'll see that there will always be a small fraction of a second in which you'll see the previous photo, this is enough to the vision in EVF is NOT AS FLUID AS BEFORE. Again, if you use slow shutter speeds, you can not immediately raise the shutter, because blur. I can not always think to rease immediately the shutter release to not review the photo. The problem does not happen on a single photo, but when taking multiple pictures.

Leica removed a function that first was there, it exists on every camere in the market, my iPhone too,  AUTO REVIEW OFF.  It should be enough keep it and join this new feature. 

Sorry for my English.

Edited by benpisati
  • Like 3

> this is enough to the vision in EVF is NOT AS FLUID AS BEFORE.

Yep. with FW 2.0  and a luckily chosen memory card Leica Q has been nothing but a premium experience. Now with this occasional review image flashing in the EVF takes away from that once-every-day experience. Suddenly I'm reminded that this is indeed a digital camera, a gadget with faults, and not a transparent extension of my arm that takes great pics.

Edited by mike3996
  • Like 2