Leica Q: Firmware Update v3.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I encountered this same issue too. It looks like the camera freezes when I'm taking pics of the same subject in rapid succession with S-AF, no burst. But it can very well be the forced review you've been talking about. Very nasty and would indeed prefer to go back to FW 2.0 because the new menu niceties are not worth the very fluid shooting experience of 2.0.

I'll be paying attention to how I press the shutter release and hopefully I can learn to deal with this.

Edited by mike3996

I don’t want pay attention how press shutter release, this camera cost 4200€, just to offer same OFF auto play like 2 weeks ago. If not I will sell it. I can’t work I’m this way, today marriage, it was a hell. I’m very disappointed.

Edited by benpisati

I’m of the opinion when you select Auto Review - OFF, It should provide NO review. It’s inconsistent with what the menu says. Keep the UI and menu system simple and clean. The camera should operate exactly as the menu describes.

Its in the way if you are trying to rapidly: shoot - recompose - shoot.

Its also an unnecessary waste of already limited battery energy.

It’s very frustrating and annoying to some users and is an undocumented change from Version 2.0.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 2

Some might consider this change a "feature".  I actually like it since I normally have preview off.  This allows my to leave it off, but preview a shot if I want to my simply keeping the shutter-button pressed.  I have tested my shooting technique and I don't normally hold the button down after a shot, so the feature is otherwise unobtrusive for me.

It is an undocumented change, and they probably should have this as one of the preview options rather than forcing it on those who don't like it.

• Like 2

Guess: Action shots in continuous mode where you want to follow a moving target.

Exactly. Leica added this bug in the last FW (3.2) for the SL; it's a pain in the ass if you're shooting anything that's moving. And it's not a "preview," it's an auto-review of what you just shot. I was shooting some marathon runners coming at me a few weeks ago, and instead of framing the next shot I had to look at my last shot (even though Auto Review was switched off).

Exactly. Leica added this bug in the last FW (3.2) for the SL; it's a pain in the ass if you're shooting anything that's moving. And it's not a "preview," it's an auto-review of what you just shot. I was shooting some marathon runners coming at me a few weeks ago, and instead of framing the next shot I had to look at my last shot (even though Auto Review was switched off).

Is it the same now for the SL? They didn’t fix?

Edited by benpisati

Not yet. Leica are aware of objections to this bug, though I'm surprised they didn't check for it before releasing FW for other cameras.

The firmware for the SL was released in April, although they had noticed the problem, they have released the firmware for the Q with this bug of autoplay? Maybe they do not believe it's a bug, or at least something to solve, this scares me.

Some might consider this change a "feature".  I actually like it since I normally have preview off.  This allows my to leave it off, but preview a shot if I want to my simply keeping the shutter-button pressed.  I have tested my shooting technique and I don't normally hold the button down after a shot, so the feature is otherwise unobtrusive for me.

It is an undocumented change, and they probably should have this as one of the preview options rather than forcing it on those who don't like it.

I also like this « feature » for the same reasons, but I understand it can be very annoying to some people.

It’s very surprising they force this behaviour when it would be very easy to add a new menu option for it.

• Like 1

A function that allows you to view a picture that anyway we just saw in the digital viewfinder at the time of trigger (what I like more than Reflex ...) is nonsense. If you absolutely want to see his picture, the Play button is not there for nothing ! :angry:

absolutely

• Like 1

A function that allows you to view a picture that anyway we just saw in the digital viewfinder at the time of trigger (what I like more than Reflex ...) is nonsense. If you absolutely want to see his picture, the Play button is not there for nothing ! :angry:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/286472-picture-preview-automatische-wiedergabe-after-fw-update-3-complete-off/

• Like 1

The function was introduced because many of the M owners knew it from the M10 and wanted it on the Q as well.

I don't even know what the problem is. Just release the shutter button. That can't be that difficult. You have to release it anyway if you want to restart the AF or take another photo.

Why make it such a big problem when you can just release the shutter button and then nothing is displayed?

After five photos I understood the principle. It's a no-brainer.

The function was introduced because many of the M owners knew it from the M10 and wanted it on the Q as well.

I don't even know what the problem is. Just release the shutter button. That can't be that difficult. You have to release it anyway if you want to restart the AF or take another photo.

Why make it such a big problem when you can just release the shutter button and then nothing is displayed?

often you don`t release the button quick enough and then it shows the preview... it is a problem to many of us. if i buy a camera in this price range and use it for professional work i want to customize the camera the way i want and not what the manufacturer thinks is the best for me.

often you don`t release the button quick enough and then it shows the preview... it is a problem to many of us. if i buy a camera in this price range and use it for professional work i want to customize the camera the way i want and not what the manufacturer thinks is the best for me.

in my 240 i can switch it off completely and i think it`s the same in the m10.

- many of the M owners knew it from the M10 and wanted it on the Q as well -

so this is not the same

often you don`t release the button quick enough and then it shows the preview... it is a problem to many of us.

It doesn't happen to me, and I'm really not fast. 

But: You can't take a new picture anyway, if you don't let go of the shutter release button, what's the problem?

Is this about a problem "I want, I want, I want", because I don't see how this supposed problem keeps you from taking new photos?

It doesn't happen to me, and I'm really not fast. 

But: You can't take a new picture anyway, if you don't let go of the shutter release button, what's the problem?

Is this about a problem "I want, I want, I want", because I don't see how this supposed problem keeps you from taking new photos?

it is not about "i want...." so be happy if it is not a problem for you

This is not a whim ... I use the Q for 2 years Daily professional and we do not change his habits so easily, I already work at Canon 5 d MK3 and leica Q in the first place ... Change functions in the menus, ok! There are always good things but changing the operation of a device after several years is incomprehensible. I want, I want, I want to find my Q from before, point!

• Like 2