Leica Q: Firmware Update v3.0

I see that to exit  menu one has to half-press shutter reease and not press MENU again.Was this always the case with the Q?

MAROG

To set the horizontal go tp MENU>MAIN MENU> (4) Photo Live View Setup>Level Gauge ON. But when looking through viewfinder you need press centre button of 4-pad until it shows (disappears with two other viewing options).  :)  

Microview, V. 3.0 of the firmware does feature a change to the exit the menu function in that you can no longer exit the menu by pressing on the menu button while in menu. The half-press shutter release exit continues to work same way in 3.0 as it did in prior firmware versions.

• Like 1

I’m with SonomaBear wanting to know the advantages and disadvantages of electronic shutter all the time. I suppose one disadvsntage of rolling shutter that would show up photographing a fast moving object like a airplane propeller. Others?

That and artificial lights.

Microview, V. 3.0 of the firmware does feature a change to the exit the menu function in that you can no longer exit the menu by pressing on the menu button while in menu. The half-press shutter release exit continues to work same way in 3.0 as it did in prior firmware versions.

Pressing menu once brings up the favorites, another press goes to main menu and subsequent presses cycle the pages.  Seems pretty convenient..

• Like 2

Pressing menu once brings up the favorites, another press goes to main menu and subsequent presses cycle the pages. Seems pretty convenient..

If you have more than one page of Favorites pressing the menu cycles to Favorites page 1, then Favorites page 2, etc. then to the Main menu page 1, then Main menu page 2, etc. eventually it circles back around to Main menu page 1. It never returns to the Favorites menu.

I’ve tried to limit to have one page of Favorites.

How do I disarm the RED VIDEO BUTTON??

you can't unless you want to glue it (!don't do that!), but now you can disarm the video screen (the one with the motion picture instead of a still camera on it) which inadvertently makes you shoot video. Turn OFF the Mode Lock Photo/Video under customize control.

Edited by bags27

I just talked with Miami Leica they said it should be ON, I did that and that does it...turns off the video button if accidentally pressed.

Thanks for checking! That's true. But the other danger is to toggle to the video screen and when you press the regular shoot button, it turns on the video. Either on or off, you have only one protection, and I accidentally toggle the screen far more often than I accidentally hit the red button. So, mine stays off.

I'm playing with various settings as I usually do with new firmware.   So far I've had 3 hard crashes in an hour of play.  Hard as in "you have to remove the battery" to reset the camera.   When this happens recent profile changes may be lost.   It happens when switching between profiles.

• Like 1

I'm playing with various settings as I usually do with new firmware.   So far I've had 3 hard crashes in an hour of play.  Hard as in "you have to remove the battery" to reset the camera.   When this happens recent profile changes may be lost.   It happens when switching between profiles.

That's very bad; I sense 3.1 is forthcoming. I only have one profile so far and it's working perfectly. No longer incentivized to establish multiple ones. Truthfully, the upgrade has made changing functions so simple that I'm doing it on the fly.

For measuring grey cards, for what else?

It lets you store two settings. For example, if on tour I visit an indoor market, I can store custom WB for indoors. When I resume my tour outside, I have still retained my WB for daylight outdoors in the other WB MEMORY slot. Two memories are better than one..

• Like 1

That's very bad; I sense 3.1 is forthcoming.

I can't confirm that. With two cameras I didn't have any crashes in 3 months, with intensive use of the user profiles.

Freezing or crashing of the camera is usually caused by the SD card.

I'm sorry but the corrected instructions don't seem to be working for me. When I turn the camera on while also pushing the video button it takes me to the normal screen for taking pictures, not a firmware update screen. I've tried multiple times and even had to recharge the battery for a few minutes because I was trying so many times. Any suggestions?

How did you guys find the Q V3 firmware file to download? The link for me only shows the Instruction PDF but no file. I am going crazy looking for it...

This had me guessing for a while too. All of the files look the same - and almost all of them are (the PDF downloads). If you look at the file at the bottom of the page, it is MUCH bigger and is the actual firmware rather than the PDF instructions. 

i still miss the option in "EVF erweitert" to show ISO on the display like menu or play.... this does not make any sense. i could change aperture, shutterspeed, distance without putting the camera to my eye... so how about ISO?

anyone else missing this feature?

Thank you everybody for the helpful tips and suggestions.

Any experimentations with the image quality of the files? I saw that one of the improvements is faster RAW saving times... This probably means changes on the way the files are rendered to make the process more efficient. So I would expect that there is a chance for the look of the files in firmware 3 to be slightly different than the 2?

What about the JPGs? There was definitely a huge improvement on colour rendering between the 1 and 2 firmware versions. Any changes here?

Looking forward for impressions!

Edited by zampelis