Leica Q: Firmware Update v3.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has released a major firmware update (v3.0) for the Leica Q (Type 116) which was introduced three years ago.

Leica Forum members were involved as beta testers to provide you the best possible result!

Download the update from the Leica website:

Leica Q Firmware Update v.3.0 Download

All improvements at a glance

• Favourites Menu: Users can now enter and save up to 15 settings for faster access in a Favourites Menu.
  • Power Saving Mode: If required, the camera can now be set to switch to Stand-By Mode after 10 seconds.
  • Extended functions for the Fn button: Even more options can now be selected for programming the multi-function button.
  • User Profiles: Profiles can now be imported from and exported to a memory card.
  • OIS – optional ‘Auto’ setting: This setting enables automatic activation of optical image stabilisation at shutter speeds of 1/60 s and slower.
  • EVF/LCD setting options: This menu item can now be assigned to the Fn button.
  • Settings for the electronic shutter: The electronic shutter can now be set to permanently active.
  • DNG files: The processing speed of DNG files in the camera has been increased.
  • Autofocus fields: The last AF field used is now memorised and recalled when switching the camera off and on again.
  • Self-timer: The setting is now memorised and recalled when switching the camera off and on again.
  • Exposure preview deactivation option: Exposure preview can now be deactivated in manual mode (especially useful when shooting in the studio with flash systems, underexposed settings or in dark environments).
  • Image review: Automatic image review remains active as long as the shutter release button is pressed.

To install the update you should consider the following steps:

• Download the updated version of the firmware.
  • Copy the firmware file onto a SD Memory Card in its top level folder.
  • Make sure to turn off the power switch on the camera.
  • Insert the fully charged battery to the body. If the battery is not fully charged, the update process screen will not appear.
  • Insert the SD Memory Card into the camera.
  • Turn the camera – while simultaneously pressing the video release button – on.
  • The firmware update screen will appear. Press OK.
  • The LEICA Q will start the update process. The firmware update will take about 90 seconds.
  • After the update process please restart the camera (if necessary remove and reinsert the battery).
  • Like 12

Not sure what the usefulness of exporting or importing user profiles is, but does anyone know whether you can now name the user profiles (as in the M10)? This would be a useful update that I hope they included.

Also, given the many requests for an ability to re-purpose the video button that few owners even use, I'm disappointed that they didn't do this.  It would be so easy to give us another Fn button by allowing this.

My guess is that video button is somehow special so can't be re-purposed. The fact that it is used during firmware update process to start the camera in that special firmware upgrade mode may be a hint about some special hardware function of that button.

I think exporiting and importing profiles is a great idea (so after next firmware update you can just import the saved profiles back from the SD card).

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure what the usefulness of exporting or importing user profiles is, but does anyone know whether you can now name the user profiles (as in the M10)? This would be a useful update that I hope they included.

Also, given the many requests for an ability to re-purpose the video button that few owners even use, I'm disappointed that they didn't do this.  It would be so easy to give us another Fn button by allowing this.

yes, you can rename profiles. just keep moving the arrow to the right and a keyboard appears.

instead of another FN button--which the red button may or may not have been able to be so repurposed--they gave us a "main menu" of favorites, and far easier navigation between the screens.

this is not a major upgrade: it doesn't really help me much, nor should it. the CL and TL2 got the major upgrades to the way they work, because they're pretty new and they got essentially a debugging. We can't expect more more refinement for the Q--not that it needs it.

Yes, thank you for giving us the correct instructions.

I understand that Leica keeps a close eye on this forum so they better know that providing incorrect instructions on their website is pretty shoddy work.

I'm sure there will be lots of other customers who spent a lot of time formatting and reformatting their SD cards, changing the SD card, downloading the update several times in case it was corrupt before eventually coming onto this forum to see if anyone else had a similar problem.

Bravo Leica.

Now maybe somebody can remind me how to get the artificial horizon back onto the screen.

Thanks

• Like 2

Now maybe somebody can remind me how to get the artificial horizon back onto the screen.

Thanks

Right. I DID NOT first save my existing profiles and now need to reconstruct them. Oh well, change is good, heh?

• Like 2

Would be interested to hear, with the two new firmware changes below, if you can now set the FN button to cycle through display modes (evf, lcd, auto switch)?

Extended functions for the Fn button: Even more options can now be selected for programming the multi-function button.

EVF/LCD setting options: This menu item can now be assigned to the Fn button.

What do I need to open a quf file on my Mac?

don't open it on the computer; copy it to your SD memory card. follow the instructions above and it should work fine. remember to hold down the red button when you finally do turn on the camera.

yes you can rename as I just did it

Hi. I think I'm being spectacularly stupid here. But every time I go to the Firmware v3 downloads page, all I get when I click download is the PDF of the instructions of how to download. ie: I can't get to the QUF file anywhere.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MikeTaylor

I was hoping that the manual would be updated for the new release.  Doesn't look like that happened.

I'm happy that they hire engineers rather than writers...

If I could get the current Q manual (English) as a PDF or Word or Text file, I'd rewrite it for version 3.0

If not, it would take months to write one from scratch...  But then I could sell it on Amazon!

Hi. I think I'm being spectacularly stupid here. But every time I go to the Firmware v3 downloads page, all I get when I click download is the PDF of the instructions of how to download. ie: I can't get to the QUF file anywhere.

there are Three download options. 2 of these are pdfs and the other is the actual file. Look for that to download
  • Like 1

Its the last item in the list, after the instruction PDF for all languages

• Like 1