Leica Q: Firmware Update v3.0

Thank you everybody for the helpful tips and suggestions.

Any experimentations with the image quality of the files? I saw that one of the improvements is faster RAW saving times... This probably means changes on the way the files are rendered to make the process more efficient. So I would expect that there is a chance for the look of the files in firmware 3 to be slightly different than the 2?

What about the JPGs? There was definitely a huge improvement on colour rendering between the 1 and 2 firmware versions. Any changes here?

Looking forward for impressions!

Great questions. Just checked my first files and the DNG's are the same size as before. Is there a way they could simply affect the buffering mechanism without affecting the actual file? They didn't announce anything about the JPGs so maybe nothing there? (I don't shoot them.)

Very welcome improvements in this update. I haven't had many complaints about Q but for example, toggling OIS on and off has been a slight hassle as it's located "deep" in the menu. Now they have two ways to remedy this issue. Either the AUTO OIS (sounds like a very nice solution to the problem) or the favorites menu. :wub:

But I'll let you test it out first for a bit :ph34r:

• Like 1

Yes, I really admire the changes as well, and am quite impressed that Leica is still thinking about improving the Q so late in its product cycle--or maybe Leica doesn't see it as late for this particular camera. And that would be a relief, as the insane arms race in digital camera technology doesn't produce better photographs and certainly isn't making photographers happier--just poorer! 

What Leica has done is completely aligned with its basic philosophy: simplify, simplify, simplify. In just a partial day of using the new firmware I was so happy with how quickly I could make changes and how even less distracted I was by the manipulation of hardware. Bravo!

• Like 3

I too am thrilled with the changes. For some reason and I can’t tell if its subtle improvements or me finally learning, but the Fn button functions work really well for me now. Very intuitive. I like that I can easily switch between focus modes. Naming of user profiles only helps. I’ve chosen electronic shutter always on. So silent. I love it. The customizable Favorites menu works great for me. Finally I like the gray card WB addition. I’ll use that for portrait shots. Good on you Leica!

• Like 4

I'm sorry but the corrected instructions don't seem to be working for me. When I turn the camera on while also pushing the video button it takes me to the normal screen for taking pictures, not a firmware update screen. I've tried multiple times and even had to recharge the battery for a few minutes because I was trying so many times. Any suggestions?

Yes - insert the card with the update file first.

i still miss the option in "EVF erweitert" to show ISO on the display like menu or play.... this does not make any sense. i could change aperture, shutterspeed, distance without putting the camera to my eye... so how about ISO?

anyone else missing this feature?

I do not understand. I see shutter speed, aperture and iso in my viewfinder and I know that it can be easily changed by pressing the second button from the bottom of the camera. I always hold the camera so, that my left thumb touches the second (ISO) and the third (fn) button of the camera. Because these are the only ones I need to use while I am shooting with the camera. There is no need to remove the camera from my eye... 

• Like 2

Slightly off topic, but somewhere within the recent firmware update discussions, someone outlined a very viable way of connecting the Q to the app.

I've never really managed much success with this, and while I don't see it ruining the Q experience, it might be handy to finally crack it.

Point me to the discussion if you can please. I tried a search with little success, most "hits" being months/years ago. This discussion was a few days ago. Via PM if this is better.

Gary

That's very bad; I sense 3.1 is forthcoming. I only have one profile so far and it's working perfectly. No longer incentivized to establish multiple ones. Truthfully, the upgrade has made changing functions so simple that I'm doing it on the fly.

I've given my Q to someone to take a picture maybe three times.   Each of those times I forgot to change something that resulted in unusable images. Now I have a profile for "guest" users that makes sure I'm not using back button focus, that the focus mode is for faces, that the LCD is in auto mode, etc.

Everything else I change on the fly starting from my "normal" profile.

Somewhere down this thread Mike mentioned that he was unable to see the firmware download and could only see the "Instructions" PDF.  I had exactly the same issue....  4 hrs later I saw. it right there where it had been hiding in plain sight!!  

Can you see it (enclosed)?  Yes of course its the 3rd one down, the one without the words "Instructions" in it

i understand your point. but so you could pre-dial? the iso without looking through the evf. 

so don‘t you set the shutter speed and aperture maxbe even focus before you look through the evf?

ahh i understand. Yes, i do prefocussing a lot at the streets, that means time is A, but i set aperture and focus without the camera on my eye. But if you want to do the same with iso, then you would need a ISO wheel as the M10 has. That is one point which i sometimes miss at the Q and this would be an improvement for the Q2.

• Like 1

ahh i understand. Yes, i do prefocussing a lot at the streets, that means time is A, but i set aperture and focus without the camera on my eye. But if you want to do the same with iso, then you would need a ISO wheel as the M10 has. That is one point which i sometimes miss at the Q and this would be an improvement for the Q2.

absolutely right :) play and menu shows up in the evf extended mode. so it should be easy to implement iso on the screen/display in evf extended mode. 

• Like 1

absolutely right :) play and menu shows up in the evf extended mode. so it should be easy to implement iso on the screen/display in evf extended mode. 

The thing why i didnt understand your question is: I use Screen (Display) / EVF in Auto-Mode, that means when the cam is not on my eye, it shows everything on the touchscreen. 

What i miss is: Normally i would prefer the EVF-Mode only, but there is no easy way to activate the screen. I miss a feature like this: In EVF-Only mode there should be a setting so that with just one tap on the touchscreen it will be activated. Then you can activate the screen again without the cam on your eye... Or does anybody know how to activate the screen very fast in "EVF only" mode

The thing why i didnt understand your question is: I use Screen (Display) / EVF in Auto-Mode, that means when the cam is not on my eye, it shows everything on the touchscreen. 

What i miss is: Normally i would prefer the EVF-Mode only, but there is no easy way to activate the screen. I miss a feature like this: In EVF-Only mode there should be a setting so that with just one tap on the touchscreen it will be activated. Then you can activate the screen again without the cam on your eye... Or does anybody know how to activate the screen very fast in "EVF only" mode

You can assign the Fn button to LCD/EVF settings, it’s not exactly what you are asking for but it’s better than before.