Leica CL/TL2 and TL Firmware Update with Improvements, New Features and Bug Fixes

I just now got around to updating my M10 with the latest firmware release.  Before doing the update, I saved all my settings as user profile 1.  Saved them to the card just in case.  Did the update, using my current card, which, since this is an M and very wesentlich, has only one folder full of files, and has all the files labelled L800xyzw (my 8th digital M).  The update takes a very long time on the M, about 10 minutes, much longer than on the SL or CL.  But when it was done, nothing about file numbering or directory structure was changed, and my user profile was active and unchanged, even though I did not reload it from the card.

There has always been speculation that the part of the L-mount firmware that does such strange things to the file organization must come from somewhere that Leica doesn't control.  Panasonic?  Jaapv, I think you use Panasonic equipment.  Do their updates do this?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I had several rounds of Panasonic cameras (FZ10, L1, G1, GF1, G2 and at least one more that I don't remember the name) and dutifully updated their firmware as various updates became available. 

I never noticed anything particularly unusual about the file system when I did the updates. The cameras worked exactly as they were intended to, based on the instruction manual description of the file numbering behavior. My Leicas also work as their instruction manuals suggest they ought to. I see no reason to make an association between Leica and Panasonic with respect to how their different cameras manage the file system and exposure numbering, or to say that something is a bug with the Leica file numbering. 

No - I never use touch AF, so I'd have noticed if it did

OK - I did not express myself properly. What happens is that even though I have the CL set to single field AF, it sometimes switches back to touch AF, when the camera is being switched on again. I never use touch AF myself as well. That is how I noticed it. I thought it was also mentioned somewhere before as a defect, but I cannot recall, where it was. Slightly annoying but no deal breaker, of course.

OK - I did not express myself properly. What happens is that even though I have the CL set to single field AF, it sometimes switches back to touch AF, when the camera is being switched on again. I never use touch AF myself as well. That is how I noticed it. I thought it was also mentioned somewhere before as a defect, but I cannot recall, where it was. Slightly annoying but no deal breaker, of course.

The camera does this (or at least did do before the FW update) when you connect it to the phone app through WiFi - the simple act of pairing the two flips the focus to touchscreen and it doesn't change back once the connection is ended. Does that fit with your findings?

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The camera does this (or at least did do before the FW update) when you connect it to the phone app through WiFi - the simple act of pairing the two flips the focus to touchscreen and it doesn't change back once the connection is ended. Does that fit with your findings?

I will check this - never thought about it, but it can well be true.

While the CL's new power saving option is helpful, it would be even better if the camera could be awakened from standby mode using buttons other than the shutter button.  Particularly in aperture priority mode there are times when I want to change ISO or EV before making a shot. 

The CL is already a nimble camera when using manual focus lenses.  Enabling each dial's center button to wake it up from standby mode, thereby enabling faster setting changes, would make it even more so. 

While the CL's new power saving option is helpful, it would be even better if the camera could be awakened from standby mode using buttons other than the shutter button. [...]

With a risk of unintended wake-up though. I prefer half pressing the shutter button personally. YMMV.

• Like 3

Since the update of my CL i experience a strange thing. Sometimes when i shoot a picture and after that i want to look at it on the backscreen of the camera, the picture appears, but the red dot right of the screen keeps burning red and everything is blocked.

I can not return to the photography mode anymore. Even when i switch off the camera, the picture stay’s on the screen and the red dot keeps burning as if the camera is still working to process the picture.

The only was to stop this, is to remove my battery. After remplacement of the battery everything works fine again.

Am i the only one? Or how long do i have to wait behoren this “processing” is ready?

Since the update of my CL i experience a strange thing. Sometimes when i shoot a picture and after that i want to look at it on the backscreen of the camera, the picture appears, but the red dot right of the screen keeps burning red and everything is blocked.

I can not return to the photography mode anymore. Even when i switch off the camera, the picture stay’s on the screen and the red dot keeps burning as if the camera is still working to process the picture.

The only was to stop this, is to remove my battery. After remplacement of the battery everything works fine again.

Am i the only one? Or how long do i have to wait behoren this “processing” is ready?

I had exactly this. Turned out it was the SD card, swapping it fixed the issue.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Did you make a backup of your SETTINGS.LCS file before formatting the SD card? 

Where in the instructions does it say to back up settings? The original post as well as the instructions from Leica failed to mention this. 

1. The camera will guide you through the backup process of your personal settings.

No. It didn't. 

Not sure what happened, but all my preferences were deleted. I followed the instructions. I have a new camera now which requires complete reconfiguration. 

Thanks. 

Where in the instructions does it say to back up settings? The original post as well as the instructions from Leica failed to mention this. 

1. The camera will guide you through the backup process of your personal settings.

No. It didn't. 

Sorry, but backing up something like settings before you overwrite the firmware appears to be rather basic to me.

• Like 1

Sorry, but backing up something like settings before you overwrite the firmware appears to be rather basic to me.

As a moderator, thanks for such a productive and useful post. BTW, you might want to edit the OP to include bugs in the installation and correct faulty instructions. That would be the moderator thing to do. 

Edited by Jake

You may wish to use a different card for firmware updates as well. This way your normal card will not be formatted and your SETTINGS.LCS file won't be erased accordingly. That is always what i'm doing personally. YMMV.

Edited by lct