Leica CL/TL2 and TL Firmware Update with Improvements, New Features and Bug Fixes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New firmware versions for the Leica CL (v.2.0), Leica TL2 (v1.4) and Leica T(v1.8)/TL(v2.3) are available for download now. The update is offering improvements, new features and bug fixes.

A special thanks goes out to our Leica Forum beta testers!

Firmware Downloads:
Leica CL FW V 2.0   |   Leica TL2 (v1.4)    |   Leica TL(v2.3)    |   Leica T(v1.8)

Leica CL Improvements

• Programming of setting dial functions: The programming of the two setting dials can now be swapped from one to the other.
  • Button lock: Pressing and holding the left-hand setting dial activates button lock (this does not lock the on/off switch, the shutter release or the left-hand setting dial).
  • Power Saving Mode: If required, the camera can now be set to switch to Stand-By Mode after 10 seconds.
  • Touchscreen autofocus: The AF metering points can now also be shifted with the joystick control in Touch AF mode when using the electronic viewfinder.

Leica TL2 Improvements

• Selection of LCD / viewfinder settings: It is now possible to select when and where the content is displayed (up until now, display was simultaneous).
  • Customisable left function menu: The items of the left function menu can now be customised by the assignment of up to six of a total of thirteen functions.
  • Extended functions for the Fn button: Now, one of a total of six different functions can be assigned to the Fn button.
  • Settings for the electronic shutter: The electronic shutter can be deactivated, permanently activated or set to complement the mechanical shutter.
  • Focus Peaking in AF Mode: Manual focus corrections can now be applied in AF Mode with the MF-ring. In the meantime, Focus Peaking is available from FW 1.4.
  • Focus Peaking with M-/R-Lenses: Focus Peaking is now also available when using M- R-Lenses with the M-Adapter L.
  • Exposure correction during video recording: The left-hand setting dial can now be used to apply exposure correction during video recording.
  • Zoom-in when reviewing images in the EVF: The right-hand setting dial allows users to zoom in while viewing images in the EVF.

Leica T/TL Improvements

• Simpler connection between the camera and a smartphone by app
  • Reduction of chromatic aberration for all TL-Lenses
  • Support and auto-update for the Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH.

Installation
Preparation camera

• Recharge the battery to 100% and insert the battery into the camera
  • Prepare the SD card for installation
    • It is recommended to format the card inside the camera
    • Please make sure that the card contains at least 200 MB of free disk space
    • Download the new firmware file to your computer
    • Copy the firmware file to the root directory of the SD card

Installation new camera firmware

• Insert the SD card into SD slot of the camera
  • Switch on the camera
  • Go to MENU / SETUP / Camera Information / Firmware
  • Press “Start Update” and confirm to start the process
    • The camera will guide you through the backup process of your current settings
    • Please confirm to save your current settings to SD card before proceeding with the update
    • Wait until the update installation is completed
    • Restart the camera; do not eject the SD card
    • Please confirm to load your last settings from SD card during the first startup

The update process is completed.

• Like 6

Hello

The link above for the CL appears to be incorrect - it takes you to the SL category.  In order to find the CL firmware, you need to choose the APS-C Category. 

Also - question - is the purple hue on the LCD correction still planned as a firmware update at some point - or was it addressed in this version?

thanks!

Michael

Edited by mikbau

Go to your country's leica-camera.com site, and click thru photography>APS-C portfolia.cl.downlods and you will find the new firmware.  The wheel setting flexibility is nice.  And this time I installed it without losing my file numbering and directory setting even though the chip I am using has only a C1060yyy.dng directory for raw files.  This hasn't always happened with L mount firmware.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I just installed it and made the mistake of reformatting the SD card before I reloaded the user profiles I had. The update doesn't prompt you to reload the user profiles. You need to go to manage profiles and import what you have saved to the SD card. Really like the ability to change the wheel settings but doesn't give you a lot of options, I would have thought more user settings for the left and right wheel would be desirable

The update prompted me to save profiles, but I used my current card and did not reformat.  It also saved my directories and continued from the current file number.

It seems the update process is not very consistent then.  For me it did reset the file number even though I had a recent picture on the card...  Awkward.

Edited by JorisV

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can now assign the shutter speed to the right button and the aperture to the left button.  

Finally!  This makes the user interface consistent with the T and TL2.  The inconsistency was driving me insane.

• Like 1

I was prompted to save my settings to the SD card and so did but I need not have bothered as the firmware update still lost them all - Ugh!

As above-mentioned you should be able to reload them though via Manage Profiles and Import Profiles.

Being able to swap the wheels' functions is a nice capability. The other new capabilities look useful too, depending on what you're doing and what you prefer. 

Being able to export and import the user configurations using the SD card is a Leica feature that I really, really wish all my cameras had. The only other camera I had that allowed this was my Ricoh GXR, and it was brilliant on that camera too. I really wish my Olympus E-M1 with its 196 customization settings had the feature...! 

Looks like a good update. I'm looking forward to working with the CL body! 

Are you sure? :(

At least for me yes. I don't understand what makes you and your CL camera became frustrated?

About profiles storing, I could advise you to save your profiles on a memory card (Why not the one used to update the camera?). This way, if some mess arrises, you can always restore your settings without pain.

Anyway, a French (?) sentence says " you can't please everybody and its father" :)

Hope you can recover the pleasure to use your CL camera.

Edited by papimuzo

[...] I could advise you to save your profiles on a memory card [...]

+1. All my user profiles are saved to hard disks personally. As far as the CL is concerned suffice it to copy to the hard disk (or any other volume) the "SETTINGS.LCS" file of the SD card that's all. 

• Like 1

Sorry Leica but I think the latest so called firmware improvements have only served to make the most frustrating camera I have ever used even more complex and frustrating. :(

What about the CL makes it "... the most frustrating camera I have ever used..."? I just finished reading the instruction manual and I find it to be a refreshingly simple camera to configure and use based on the instructions. I'm perplexed... I don't have a CL body yet to work with, but it really does seem pretty darn straightforward.

I was prompted to save my settings to the SD card and so did but I need not have bothered as the firmware update still lost them all - Ugh!

Leica has figured out that it is a good idea to remind you to save your profiles, but they don't tell you that your "current settings" are not in a profile unless you make them a profile.  So to have your settings survive a firmware upgrade you have to set them as a profile.  Then save them before the upgrade.  Then restore your profiles after the upgrade. Leica should remind you to restore your profiles, too, but don't seem to do that.  I guess "If you saved them like we told you to, now restore them" is not Wesentlich.  But actually it's simple and it works in the CL now.  

But not the file numbering.

IMO it would be helpful if you were given a direct offer to restore them: User Profiles is on my Favourites screen, so under normal circumstances I know where to go to load them. When your current settings have been wiped out, you have to dig deeper in the menu system to find that menu item again. 

I can't remember to be sure, but I think I recall that in some previous updates the user profiles were not deleted during during firmware update. As a beta tester for this firmware, perhaps it was beta firmware that behaved that way. Or was it firmware with non-whole number versions?