Broken links with Flickr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is the first time this has happened but today an image in one of my posts showed up as a broken link (embedded image from Flickr). It took me a while to figure out what happened but here's the story. I made the post with the image and everything's fine. Suddenly a short time later the image doesn't work. Clicking on the link it still goes to the image on Flickr perfectly fine. I checked some of my other images and no problems there. Then it hit me! I was experimenting with Flickr's editor on the mentioned image assuming the embedded path would not change.  Wrong! Checking the embed code on Flickr vs. the code on my post and yep, they are different. So, editing an image in Flickr will break any current embed codes you have used in posts.

I had posted the same image over on the Rangefinder Forum and saw the same problem. Fortunately they have a edit feature and I was able to update the link and everything back working. I don't see an edit feature on my post on the Leica Forum. Am I missing something? Is there a way to get the linked fixed in my post? Thanks for the help! John

Why don't you use the Forum uploader?

Embedded links are quick and easy. Flickr auto generates an embed code for whatever size you want which saves you from having to create different sizes for different uses. It also generates the link code back to the original file and to your Flickr album in case someone whats to see more related images. The only downside is you can't edit the images in Flickr and expect the link to stay the same. Not a problem for me, I don't plan on editing in Flickr, I was just experimenting to see how it worked.

Back to my original question, as a moderator can you tell me how to fix my current problem with the broken link or delete the post.  Thanks, John

you can edit an image again in LR/C1 etc and "replace" it in flickr quite easily ? or did you mean edit in some other way?

Embedded links are quick and easy. Flickr auto generates an embed code for whatever size you want which saves you from having to create different sizes for different uses. It also generates the link code back to the original file and to your Flickr album in case someone whats to see more related images. The only downside is you can't edit the images in Flickr and expect the link to stay the same. Not a problem for me, I don't plan on editing in Flickr, I was just experimenting to see how it worked.

Back to my original question, as a moderator can you tell me how to fix my current problem with the broken link or delete the post.  Thanks, John

you can edit an image again in LR/C1 etc and "replace" it in flickr quite easily ? or did you mean edit in some other way?

Correct and typically this is what I do. I was just experimenting with the Flickr editor to see what it was capable of not realizing that it would change the embed code. Of course I'll never do that again but seems odd that I can't edit my post to correct the link like I can in other forums. jc 

This is the first time this has happened but today an image in one of my posts showed up as a broken link (embedded image from Flickr). It took me a while to figure out what happened but here's the story. I made the post with the image and everything's fine. Suddenly a short time later the image doesn't work. Clicking on the link it still goes to the image on Flickr perfectly fine. I checked some of my other images and no problems there. Then it hit me! I was experimenting with Flickr's editor on the mentioned image assuming the embedded path would not change.  Wrong! Checking the embed code on Flickr vs. the code on my post and yep, they are different. So, editing an image in Flickr will break any current embed codes you have used in posts.

I had posted the same image over on the Rangefinder Forum and saw the same problem. Fortunately they have a edit feature and I was able to update the link and everything back working. I don't see an edit feature on my post on the Leica Forum. Am I missing something? Is there a way to get the linked fixed in my post? Thanks for the help! John

I use the LR Flickr plug-in to publish photos into Flickr. It is a very useful feature because one can control what is published, including title, comment and tags.

The problem is that any change you make in LR, it is transferred to Flickr, the target JPG URL is changed, breaking the link.

I agree that it is odd that we can't fix our own posts in this forum.

To fix an old post would require the same operations as to change the meaning of an old post. This could cause chaos and require the admins to constantly reevaluate treads.

Yes, and I do agree on preserving threads so posters don't go back and rewrite history but it would be nice to have the ability to at least fix a broken link. jc