2/50mm Summicron-SL

Linford

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I first heard about the possibility of an 2/50mm Summicron in the lineup I was actually a little annoyed. Of course, I got one of the first 1.4/50mm Summilux lenses on release. I love the way it renders--even at 85mm. However, after finally getting my hands on the 2/90mm Summicron at it's demure 67mm size; I have to admit I am intrigued at the idea of a similarly sized 50mm option. I have always preferred the perceived softer rendering of the the Summilux line to the hyper-sharp rendering of the Summicron. However, owning the 50mm APO (M) changed my perception after a long and continued love affair with the 50mm Noctilux. I am intrigued by the idea of this 50mm Summicron for the SL. Is this something we can look for in 2019? Cheers--lt

The only reason to buy the 50 Summicron SL over the 50 Summilux SL is size and weight.

It won’t have blazing AF speed... and certainly won’t be sharper.

I love the 50 Summilux SL... and shoot most of the time at 1.4

I got a great deal on my 50... pretty sure cheaper than the new 50 F2 SL.

• Like 1

the 75/2 had insane focusing speed when I tried it out, wouldn't the 50 be the same?

I am hoping for the 35/2 to come out ….. some......yawn......time....this …...year.....where is it?

The 35mm-SL will start to ship by the end of the year, at least based on my memory from reading reports from the recent Wetzlar inauguration. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While I love my 50 SL Lux, I would gladly give up the extra stop for the expected size and weight of the Cron.

....... particularly if it follows the rendering of the 50/2 apo ...... which in my book is the best M series lens Leica has ever produced ..... and by a fair margin at that ..... Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I also own the 50/1.4SL and while for me the SL are ok size-wise in regards of handling on the camera, I have a problem with the weight/size because it limits me how many lenses I can carry.

So if I had to do it again I would probably rather buy a Summicron (when it gets available) and not the Summilux.

• Like 2

If you already have the zoom, remember that it has OIS, so the Summicron will only buy you weight saving and a bit of narrower depth of field, and a different rendering at the expense of a loss of flexibility.

To an artist, shallow depth of field means allot, else the zoom covers the rest of the quality.

I have both the Summicron-R 50 and Summilux-R 50 to use with both my Leicaflex SL and Leica CL. They have rather different imaging character and, it turns out, the Summicron performs amazingly well for high magnification macro work. And the Summicron-M 50mm is pretty much my standard lens on the M-D and M4-2 bodies. :)

If the Summicron-SL 50mm had been available when I bought the SL, that's the lens I would have bought with the camera. I only bought the SL24-90 because I wanted at least one native lens with all the features, but I have never been a fan of these "normal zoom" lenses. I wasn't interested in the Summilux-SL 50 when it was released because it was simply too big and heavy for my interest ... I wouldn't carry it, just like I wouldn't carry the SL24-90 very often... 

Over the past couple months I have been enjoying the 2/90 Summicron-SL. The size is perfect! I have owned the 1.4/50 Summilux--SL since it's release. While I love the way the lens renders, the size makes it a bit of a challenge. It is simply huge. I am very enthusiastic about the coming of the 2/50 Summicron--SL. I certainly hope it makes it here soon than later. Cheers!--lt

• Like 1

I really don’t understand what the plan is in regards to the SL Summilux. I was in the Leica store playing with the 75 and 90 summicrons and they just feel so perfect on the camera. You can walk around with it. The coming 35 is the lens I’ve been waiting for. The 50 SL APO will also be perfect- but I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do with two 50’s. We’re too early in the release of lenses for redundancy. I can only assume the 50SL summilux being non apo is designed for portrait and still life. Regardless- the summicrons seem perfect.

• Like 2

I really don’t understand what the plan is in regards to the SL Summilux. I was in the Leica store playing with the 75 and 90 summicrons and they just feel so perfect on the camera. You can walk around with it. The coming 35 is the lens I’ve been waiting for. The 50 SL APO will also be perfect- but I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do with two 50’s. We’re too early in the release of lenses for redundancy. I can only assume the 50SL summilux being non apo is designed for portrait and still life. Regardless- the summicrons seem perfect.

The SL Summicrons are staggeringly good, and I find their size a joy compared to the initial larger and heavier lenses.

With regards to 50SL Summilux vs upcoming 50SL Summicron, it will be intriguing to see just how close the depth of field really is at f1.4 (Summilux) versus f2 (new Summicron)? That in itself might help answer your question .....ie, if the new SL 50 Summicron at f2 really looks similar to f1.4 AND it’s sharper, more compact, lower weight etc ....indeed, as Leica noted for the SL 75mm, given its very high contrast , “With an initial aperture of f/2, the SL-Summicron lenses are significantly more compact than faster lenses, but still allow photographers to work with similar depth of field“.

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 2

Leica's position on depth of field with the new Summicron-SLs seems to be that they are so sharp and so contrasty at the plane of focus that objects slightly further away or nearer are easily distinguished by lower contrast as well as resolution.  Remember that DOF is a subjective effect -- you'll just have to try it.  But Leica has been working with these lenses for several years now, so I tend to believe them.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Could be. To some the 50 Summicron-SL may “subjectively” appear to have the same shallow depth of field at f/2.0 as the 50 Summilux-SL at f/1.4. But not when looking closely. In theory, the 90 Summicron-SL should appear to have a shallower DOF than the 50 Summilux-SL wide open because of bigger total aperture, i.e. it has a higher ratio between focal length and aperture. Yet, it doesn’t. See comparisons here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-MgRZZ2/ To my eyes the 50 Summilux-SL clearly blurs the background more and appears to have a shallower depth of field than the 90 Summicron-SL wide open. There is no way that the 50 Summicron-SL will beat the 90 at f/2.0 in this respect because of its much shorter focal length but same aperture.

• Like 1