de-goggling a lens ??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

being a bit odd, I like to use old lenses with my new CL...I love the (original CL) lenses 40mm and 90mm and have had excellent results...I have  just acquired a mint 135 Elmarit M f2.8 with goggles.  Is there a way to remove the goggles easily as clearly no use on the CL.. The resulting Fast 200mm equiv should be fun! 

This One  :-

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Depends on the version of your lens. V1 has removable goggles but not v2 or v3. Another solution is to use the optical cell of the lens, which can be unscrewed easily from the focusing mount, together with the 16462 focusing adapter for Visoflex (pic) and another adapter for Visoflex lenses to M cameras. Novoflex makes one if i remember well. Or you could trade your lens for its affordable R version (11211) and use it with an R to M or L adapter.

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

Yes all 135mm M lenses have screws at the back of the goggles, there is also a type of slitted nut at the front you will have to secure that before they can be removed totally, I spent a fair amount of time figuring out why the screw was not coming out.. a finger pressed tightly against it should work. Yours, I believe, is the Mk1 version because of the red paint markings. However, I could be wrong. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Yes all 135mm M lenses have screws at the back of the goggles, there is also a type of slitted nut at the front you will have to secure that before they can be removed totally, I spent a fair amount of time figuring out why the screw was not coming out.. a finger pressed tightly against it should work. Yours, I believe, is the Mk1 version because of the red paint markings. However, I could be wrong. Enjoy.

Exactly as you said, now degoggled and working really well on the CL Many thanks indeed.

• Like 1

Depends on the version of your lens. V1 has removable goggles but not v2 or v3. Another solution is to use the optical cell of the lens, which can be unscrewed easily from the focusing mount, together with the 16462 focusing adapter for Visoflex (pic) and another adapter for Visoflex lenses to M cameras. Novoflex makes one if i remember well. Or you could trade your lens for its affordable R version (11211) and use it with an R to M or L adapter.

LeicaM_16462.jpg

We had a discussion about this lens a few years ago in this same connection. As I remember its not as simple as v1 is removable and later versions not. My v1 has removable goggles but others came up with examples which were different.

I have followed the 16462 route once I managed to find one, and used the lens head plus 16462 on Nikon film & dslr, Panasonic m4/3, Sony A7 and now Fuji in turn. Its good but rather heavy!

Gerry

• Like 1

Depends on the version of your lens. V1 has removable goggles but not v2 or v3. [...]

[...] As I remember its not as simple as v1 is removable and later versions not. [...]

That's what i tried to say above. The goggles of my v3 are not removable contrary to v1's.

• Like 1

I think we cane to the conclusion that it wasn't consistant within versions. And the way the goggles are removed varied even when they were removable.

The thread is probably on the old forum stuff before the changes so I'm not sure if a search would find it. I'm away from home and I'm not going to try on my phone!

Gerry

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2018 at 3:18 PM, Marac said:

On 6/29/2018 at 3:49 PM, johntobias said:

Thanks Marac, mine has been delivered and I'll have a look when I get home!

I know it's an old threat, but out of quarantine boredom I tried exactly the same thing. I want to use it comfortably on a digital M with handgrip and a CL and adapt it to other digital bodies. 

I removed the goggles part and now seem to be stuck... the two parts (ring and goggles) seem to be glued together (I see a tiny layer of glue shining through).

Has this been the same for you two? Any idea how to weaken the glue and remove the goggles from the ring?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Marac said:

As ICT said above, there are different versions of the lens, the mkIII version you cannot remove the goggles apparently, never owned one so didn't realise this.

It's the Mk I Version. The goggles look like they are removable, I thought they would just come off, but there is an extra layer of glue. Since you also had the Mk I Version, I thought it might have been similar for you. 

I think mine must of been taken apart a few times because there was no glue holding it on, only the screws.

Must be fun on a CL or even a FF body too, on my M camera it was always difficult to focus and usually resulted in a poor image, hence I sold it.