Leica Servicing Problems

GregTRU

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone else having problems with Leica's turnaround time?

I've had continous problems with my bodies with cameras taking 3-4 months to be returned, or replaced, to deal with faults.

No replacement camera, no explanation for the extreme delays.

It's so bad that I've stopped using the bodies.

I've bought a Sony A7ii and am using the lenses on it. Great results. When I eventually get the current M back from Germany I'm probably going to sell it.

Given the great cost of the system and the fact that I now have been deprived the use of the camera for about a year in the period that I have owned Leicas I've realised that I cant work with the system anymore.

Eight months for a non-repair of a 280/4 APO; customer service was useless.  For an R8/DMR, one year of sending it to Leica NJ multiple times before they fixed the problem.  I've had enough of this 'service'.

When I inquired about getting a recently-acquired 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt-R repaired,  the response I got was:

"This lens can only be repaired to a limited extent and at your own risk because we don´t have all spare parts on stock anymore." I consider that to be a fair response, as the serial number dates the lens to 1989, almost thirty years old. 

One of the issues is a missing screw in the mount, and I was heartened to receive an email a week or so later from someone in Leica's parts department offering to send replacement screws free of charge. To me, that's better than "good service."

A few years back I sent in my 180mm APO-Elmarit-R to be converted so that it could be used with the 1.4X extender.  That took just over two months, about the time frame I'd been told beforehand, and I've been enjoying the spectacular result on a near-daily basis ever since.  

I give Leica service in Germany two thumbs up, with an additional plus for their help with another issue earlier this year.

Eight months for a non-repair of a 280/4 APO; customer service was useless.  For an R8/DMR, one year of sending it to Leica NJ multiple times before they fixed the problem.  I've had enough of this 'service'.

I'm really surprised that they fixed the DMR at all. It has been out of service for a number of years.

I'm really surprised that they fixed the DMR at all. It has been out of service for a number of years.

The problem was the R8's mirror box; the camera would not stop the lens down to working aperture consistently.  Several times I explained the problem on the telephone, sent sample photos, sent a lens along with the camera so they could see that the lens wasn't the problem and it still took several round trips between Sacramento and New Jersey before they fixed it.

When I inquired about getting a recently-acquired 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt-R repaired,  the response I got was:

"This lens can only be repaired to a limited extent and at your own risk because we don´t have all spare parts on stock anymore." I consider that to be a fair response, as the serial number dates the lens to 1989, almost thirty years old. 

One of the issues is a missing screw in the mount, and I was heartened to receive an email a week or so later from someone in Leica's parts department offering to send replacement screws free of charge. To me, that's better than "good service."

A few years back I sent in my 180mm APO-Elmarit-R to be converted so that it could be used with the 1.4X extender.  That took just over two months, about the time frame I'd been told beforehand, and I've been enjoying the spectacular result on a near-daily basis ever since.  

I give Leica service in Germany two thumbs up, with an additional plus for their help with another issue earlier this year.

My 280 was in Germany for most of the eight months it was gone and was eventually returned after my dealer leaned on Leica (the 'customer service' voice mailbox was full most of the 8 months).  Not only was the lens not repaired ("lack of spare parts") but was returned with a smashed rear cap.

I sent the lens to DAG and it was returned in a few weeks in perfect condition.  Parts required?  Three screws.  My opinion of Leica's customer service in the USA isn't printable on a public forum.

Edited by wildlightphoto

I sent the lens to DAG and it was returned in a few weeks in perfect condition. Parts required? Three screws. My opinion of Leica's customer service in the USA isn't printable on a public forum.

I reported some time ago a similar experience with Leica NJ regarding sticky focus action with my 50 Summilux M ASPH. The technician explained to me over the phone that the lens was as good as it could get and that further adjustment risked more problems. After returning the lens to me, I sent it to DAG and he had it back to me in a week with perfectly smooth focus action, and a mere $90 charge, including shipping. His supply of older Leitz grease solved the problem.

Jeff