Leica Servicing Problems

GregTRU

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone else having problems with Leica's turnaround time?

I've had continous problems with my bodies with cameras taking 3-4 months to be returned, or replaced, to deal with faults.

No replacement camera, no explanation for the extreme delays.

It's so bad that I've stopped using the bodies.

I've bought a Sony A7ii and am using the lenses on it. Great results. When I eventually get the current M back from Germany I'm probably going to sell it.

Given the great cost of the system and the fact that I now have been deprived the use of the camera for about a year in the period that I have owned Leicas I've realised that I cant work with the system anymore.

Have you taken the trouble to actually talk to Customer Services?  In my experience, and quite a few other's, they may be slow, but are normally generous with loaners.

Been dealing with Leica since the eighties and repairs have never been fast in my experience. On this quotation from 1964 one can read "délai prévu: 3 mois" (time allowed: 3 months). The customer involved was not a lambda user though. Guess who he was.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

Have you taken the trouble to actually talk to Customer Services?  In my experience, and quite a few other's, they may be slow, but are normally generous with loaners.

Yes, I'm in Cape Town, South Africa and their local representative has told me it's not possible.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes - I've had my troubles with the South African representative myself in the past. They absolutely refused to get of their collective backsides and provide me with a rewind crank that I had lost - years ago. I had to contact (then) Solms and it got sent out to me by express mail.

Been dealing with Leica since the eighties and repairs have never been fast in my experience. On this quotation from 1964 one can read "délai prévu: 3 mois" (time allowed: 3 months). The customer involved was not a lambda user though. Guess who he was.

attachicon.gifLeica IIIg repairs.jpg

That was more half a century ago, I just want a service and experience that works. The disruption is frustrating!

Yes - I've had my troubles with the South African representative myself in the past. They absolutely refused to get of their collective backsides and provide me with a rewind crank that I had lost - years ago. I had to contact (then) Solms and it got sent out to me by express mail.

Thanks, I'll try Solms directly.

I contacted Leica Customer service in Germany only 3 times. Back in 2006 by phone to get information if a sensor of a Digilux 2 was replaced. It took a few attempts because phone occupied but once connected I got my information at once. The second time was in 2012, by mail, for my M8 (red line sensor problem). As far as I remember I received an answer within 2 or 3 days and a quote. Could choose between different service times. Took the 5 day service and from the moment Leica received the camera I got it back in 5 days (within Europe). Last was about a non used code in 2013 or 2014 for Adobe Lightroom license. This was settled within two days. No further experience at this moment. Hope this helps.

Best

• Like 1

Do Leica have a pro support service offered for a fee? I can't see that they advertise one but it seems a bit strange that they wouldn't. If they chose to argue that "we offer the same excellent terms to all our exclusive customers" in their defence for not doing so, then that clearly doesn't stack up if poor experience is common.

Since I am selling my S system, I decided to have all of the focusing motors replaced. They were shipped to Leica in Germany through my dealer and it took about 5 weeks. They came back last week. That was quicker than I expected.

Do Leica have a pro support service offered for a fee?

When my M9 was badly damaged in an accident, Leica NJ expedited service which had the camera back to me in three weeks, for a hefty, but fair fee. That was several years ago and things change so I won't mention the amount. Contact Leica.