Zeiss 35mm f2 to Summarit 35mm f2.4... Worthy upgrade?

rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Evening dear fellows,

I am an M8 user, my only lens is the Zeiss Biogon 35mm F2. I love the images that combo delivers, however, I want to switch to a full Leica set.

Considering my budget is limited, I might spend USD 1750-2000 tops as a well-deserved treat after a highly stressed first 6 months of the year.

I was thinking in something wider like a 28mm, but if in the future I put my hands on an M240  ^_^  I rather have a 35mm as my main lens.

What would you suggest? An older Summicron instead or the 2.4 Summarit? I don't mind the extra depth of field of the f2.4.

Thanks for your advice,

Ricardo

I used the Zeiss 35 f2 and agree the images are great (after a DAG calibrated focus), but I found the lens too big. So I found a used Summarit 35 2.5 and love it. Images match the Zeiss, but size and handling are perfect. I wanted the 2.5 to stay with 39mm filters.

Then I added a 50 Summarit 2.5, which has identical body and handling, and it has replaced my Summicron for normal use.

• Like 2

I've used both an older Summilux 35 and a Summarit 35. I don't know that particular Zeiss lens, but in general, Zeiss is more contrasty and the colors bolder than Leica, while the Leica excels with subtle microcontrast, including the Summarit. The older lenses are a different aesthetic; they just don't have the definition that the modern ones do, but they have a mood that the modern ones do not.

Other then wanting an all Leica kit is there any other reason?  35f2.8 C Biogon is probably the sharpest 35 made and certainly small and light.  That said if you are set on Leica nothing else will do. 

Don't think you will see improvement in images by switching from Zeiss to Leitz but its your money and your decision.

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 1

Thanks for your replies,

I am not expecting any improvement in IQ vs my current kit, otherwise, I won't be using an M8 anyway. I am pretty aware of the Zeiss lenses capabilities and I enjoy using them. Is just I want to have a Leica glass in front of my Leica lens. I agree with @TomB_tx, the only thing I don't like is the Biogon is a little too long. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No experience with either but i own both Summarit 35/2.5 and Biogon 35/2.8. The latter is my favorite "slow" 35 and the former one of my favorites on APS. Only cons of the 35/2.5 to me is CA and softness at edges and corners below f/5.6. Reason why i prefer using it on crop cameras but it remains a very good lens otherwise.

The 35/2 Zeiss Biogon is the only Zeiss I own, it has great IQ that I use for landscapes.   The OP doesn't mention his subject or any other details such as low light etc.   Difficult to answer as lenses are not an absolute but rather subjective with intended use an important consideration.  

Your 35 on the M8 is more like a 50 on FF, so if you're thinking of going down that route in the future then you might want a 50 for a new M, and will act as a nice short tele on the M8.

In the meantime you could buy a Leica filter to put on the Zeiss and pretend it's a Leica lens!

I don't see any point in swapping a lens you claim to love, for something else just because of a brand name. At the very least you should try before you buy.

• Like 2

You can buy the 35 Summicron ASPH V1 for $2k. If you must have a Leica lens (which I understand) get the 35 Cron over the Summarit. Otherwise, I would keep the Zeiss as it is as good as both the 35 Cron and Summarit. 

Your 35 on the M8 is more like a 50 on FF, so if you're thinking of going down that route in the future then you might want a 50 for a new M, and will act as a nice short tele on the M8.

In the meantime you could buy a Leica filter to put on the Zeiss and pretend it's a Leica lens!

I don't see any point in swapping a lens you claim to love, for something else just because of a brand name. At the very least you should try before you buy.

This is worth considering - a 50mm for the M240. I used an M8.2 from 2008 to 2017, mostly with a 35mm. I got so use to that framing that when I went to the M-P typ240  the 35mm seemed wide. Considering I've used Leicas since I bought my first one as a teenager in 1966 you'd think I'd know better. After more than a year with the FF I'm really more comfortable with the 50 instead of the 35. Deciding on lenses is never easy. Good luck with your photography.

Evening dear fellows,

I am an M8 user, my only lens is the Zeiss Biogon 35mm F2. I love the images that combo delivers, however, I want to switch to a full Leica set.

Considering my budget is limited, I might spend USD 1750-2000 tops as a well-deserved treat after a highly stressed first 6 months of the year.

I was thinking in something wider like a 28mm, but if in the future I put my hands on an M240  ^_^  I rather have a 35mm as my main lens.

What would you suggest? An older Summicron instead or the 2.4 Summarit? I don't mind the extra depth of field of the f2.4.

Thanks for your advice,

Ricardo

I think if you want the clarity and resolution stick to the 2.5 Summarit (cheaper and same optics as 2.4) or 2 Summicron ASPH (first one), the older Summicrons wont satisfy you if you love the images from the Zeiss (known for contrast and resolution)...

However I am not sure I would upgrade at all. If I were you, keep the Zeiss, add another FL when you have the money... Any then add and M240 : )

Personally I would try a 28 or 35 cron ASPH and see if you like them?

Maybe even a used 50 Summicron? Version 4 with the hood is same at the V5 and can be had rather cheaply... or the stunning Rigid for lovely smooth render but great resolution. Even the V3 is great with higher contrast.... Just gave you 8 other options  :D  :lol:  :p  good luck

Summarit 35 2.5 is well under 1500$ on eBay, NiB. This is how I purchased mine.

Crons are overpriced and many are old dogs. 

Summarits erogonomics are totally diffrent from Zeiss. They are for quick and intuitive operation, aperture ring feels almost loose.

The only bad thing I could say about Summarit 35 2.5 - it has distortions. But nowhere near 7A 35/2 :) .

This is the only 35mm lens I'm using most. I used it on M4-2 (as the only lens) first, then on M-E and have it on M8. It gives amazing pictures always.

BW and in Color. On screen and on the prints. Sometimes I want just to buy second one to have one on M4-2 and one on M-E and nothing else. 

Summarit 35 2.5 is well under 1500$ on eBay, NiB. This is how I purchased mine.

Crons are overpriced and many are old dogs. 

Summarits erogonomics are totally diffrent from Zeiss. They are for quick and intuitive operation, aperture ring feels almost loose.

The only bad thing I could say about Summarit 35 2.5 - it has distortions. But nowhere near 7A 35/2 :) .

This is the only 35mm lens I'm using most. I used it on M4-2 (as the only lens) first, then on M-E and have it on M8. It gives amazing pictures always.

BW and in Color. On screen and on the prints. Sometimes I want just to buy second one to have one on M4-2 and one on M-E and nothing else. 

Yeah, I was surprised at how loose the focus was on my 50mm 2.5. Seemed odd at first but I've grown to like it.

• Like 1