Exposure Compensation in manual mode

geetee1972

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I mostly shoot in apperture priority and use the large top dial for exposure compensation (I can't recall if I set this myself or if it's a default). Quite often though I want to shoot in manual mode (with auto ISO) so that I can set the shutter speed. Is there an easy way of managing exposure compensation on the camera in this situation?

I have Exposure compensation on my upper right button, long press.  The front wheel doesn't seem to do anything in manual mode with an L lens.  It's been a while since I studied the options on the SL, so this may not be a definitive answer.

Isn't it curious that the SL, with lots of buttons, has idle wheels, while the CL, with only three buttons (one less) is struggling to find ways to control things like back button AF, separating exposure from focus setting, and so forth?  I'd love to participate in a Leica discussion leading to more consistent modes of operation for present and future cameras.

I have Exposure compensation on my upper right button, long press.  The front wheel doesn't seem to do anything in manual mode with an L lens.  It's been a while since I studied the options on the SL, so this may not be a definitive answer.

Isn't it curious that the SL, with lots of buttons, has idle wheels, while the CL, with only three buttons (one less) is struggling to find ways to control things like back button AF, separating exposure from focus setting, and so forth?  I'd love to participate in a Leica discussion leading to more consistent modes of operation for present and future cameras.

Brilliant thanks for this as you have actually answered my question perfectly.

I also have exposure compensation programmed onto the camera; I have it on the left button the top of the body rather than the back and have had that set so that when I'm shooting fully manual (including ISO) with studio lights in PAS mode, I can brighten the viewfinder (it doesn't affecrt exposure in this situation) if it's too dark. But in M mode with auto ISO, it does provide access to exposure compensation.

When you say the 'front wheel' which wheel do you mean? In manual mode the top dial does shutter speed and the rear does apperture. There isn't however a 'front' dial unless you mean the one on the top plate?

• 8 months later...