Compatibility of a new CL with a SF 24D flash?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As the "SF 24D" flash unite was designed for the film Leica cameras before, would it be usable on a new CL digital body?   It is a nice little flash unite for occasionally fill flash use before, but would it be compatible with a new CL?

As well would the tiny little flash unit that comes with the D-Lux (109) work with the new CL body?

Yes, but the SF40 is much better.

The D-lux one probably not.

The SF should be a much bigger (and heavier) unit compared with the SF24D?     If only is for fill-flash usage in case of bright sunlight outdoors taking people photos, do you think the SF24D is enough to term up with the CL?  

Yes, I put it on, te camera recognizes the flash, the flash "sees" the aperture, and the shot I took in TTL mode was correctly exposed as far as the SF24 exposes correctly.

However, flash shots from the SF40  simply look better, the SF40 has a tiltable head and takes AA batteries, has an automatic zoom reflector, HSS and a slave function.

In comparison, the SF24 D is obsolete. Nowadays I would only recommend the SF24D for fill flash. In fact, I only used it for fill in the past. For real flash shots I would use the CT 32-7 SCA by Metz.

BTW, when unfolded, the SF40 fits exactly into a vintage Minilux2  leather bag.

So the short answer, I guess, is:  Yes, the SF24D is compatible to the CL but not very impressive.

• Like 1

Thank you!    Yes I only use a flash for fill-flash when need, e.g. in bright sunlight of people's photo to reduce the shadows on the face...      Looks then the SF24D could do the job combine with a CL, and the total size, weight of the SF24D should be still a lot less than other newer flashes... make it much easier to bring along, even though often may not use it at all during a trip or session...

In comparison, the SF24 D is obsolete. Nowadays I would only recommend the SF24D for fill flash. In fact, I only used it for fill in the past. For real flash shots I would use the CT 32-7 SCA by Metz.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little off-topic, but I use flash so infrequently and this thread reminded me that I should see if my old Nikon SB-30 will work on the CL (in-flash metering only, no TTL). The sad news is that it doesn't: the shape of the viewfinder ocular interferes with fitting it to the camera.

I did check that my ancient RF triggers (Cactus V2 and Cactus V5) do work and trigger the flash nicely with the CL body.

I suppose that if I want an on-camera compatible flash unit, I might buy one of the Leica ones and get the TTL capability. Which one would you suggest?

SF40.

Thanks, that's what I thought. On the other hand, I can find an NOS SF24D for about half the price of that one ... For the amount that I actually need a flash, its limitations may well be fine. I put both on my list to consider. 

• Like 1

The Metz/Panasonic won't work with the CL. You need the Leica variant.

the all ebay selling are metz 26 af-2 listed as panasonic/olympus/leica,,,this works? not buy if listed only panasonic/olympus? must have 4pins flash foot?3pins only for olympus/panasonic? correct? Edited by leonasj

the all ebay selling are metz 26 af-2 listed as panasonic/olympus/leica,,,this works? not buy if listed only panasonic/olympus? must have 4pins flash foot?3pins only for olympus/panasonic? correct?

It's for the small point and shoot Leicas which are manufactured by Panasonic. Not for the Q/M/CL/TL/SL/TL2 cameras, which have a different flash protocol. These require the SF26 from Leica.

I agree, it's confusing. 

+1. Great little flash for this casual user (SF 26 on CL).

I agree. I bought mine when they first were released some years ago. The main drawback is that it is very expensive for such a simple small flash which tilts but does not rotate. The SF40 costs a bit more but is a much more sophisticated and powerful flash and therefor better value. Still pricey as you expect from Leica. If you want a small, light compact fuss free flash for fill in or indoor use on social occasions  with good TTL the SF26 is ideal.