What was in the original Leica M3 box?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm presently tracking down the history of my M3 (700061) and Leica in Wetzlar are being very helpful, having identified it as one of two "demo" models (700060 and 700061) that were sent to the US on March 3, 1954, before the M3 was released at Photokina that fall. As an aside, the model shown in the original 1954 manual, page 7 is 700059 without a corner, my 700061 doesn't have a corner either which is a bit contrary to what Leica are telling me, that all these early models did have the corner.

I will ask my contact there about the original contents of the 1954 boxes, hopefully he'll be able to help.  I'll post any reply.

I haven't heard back from Leica yet, I suppose it's only just Monday morning over there, but speaking with a guy here in Singapore who's father bought an early M3 which he inherited, unused, he seems to recall there were no inserts in the box, but rather the camera was heavily wrapped in tissue paper with blue asterisks, maybe eight pointed stars or such.  He doesn't know if that was how it was received as new, or his father did the wrapping after he got it.  He's long since disposed of the camera, sadly.

Hopefully Leica will come back with some more info.

• 1 month later...

My 1950’s BEOON has lots of corrugated cardboard inserts to space and pack out the various components that assemble into a BEOON. It is more like a 3D jigsaw puzzle than anything else. Not the most elegant solution. It is all in the usual off white grey/beige box.

Wilson

yes, i saw one in Tokyo recently..thin white paper with some blue star like designs..it was a red box with a red cloth interior..they didn't want me to take pics with my phone in the shop

this is the shop

http://www.katsumido-camera.com/

they have a lot more than their site shows ;) very nice people and very knowledgeable..but grumpy about taking pics inside :)

I haven't heard back from Leica yet, I suppose it's only just Monday morning over there, but speaking with a guy here in Singapore who's father bought an early M3 which he inherited, unused, he seems to recall there were no inserts in the box, but rather the camera was heavily wrapped in tissue paper with blue asterisks, maybe eight pointed stars or such.  He doesn't know if that was how it was received as new, or his father did the wrapping after he got it.  He's long since disposed of the camera, sadly.

Hopefully Leica will come back with some more info.

Edited by frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My friend with the boxed M3 has never showed up with it. I will ask in the Leica Archives in Wetzlar when I am there 2 weeks from now. I have a few personal requests for information from them on examples of my two favourite Leica camera types in my collection, a couple of I Model As from 1926 and a II Model D from 1932 with a Dublin dealer engraving. I can also ask Jim Lager, who I will be meeting in Wetzlar, whether he knows anything about the original M3 box contents and US dealer demo models from 1954.

William

• 2 years later...
5 minutes ago, Reini said:

Hello Willileica! It's been a long time ... do you have any new information? Contents of a velvet box? I'm still interested in the topic.

God bless your memory, Reini. I believe I saw the box sometime ago and it contained nothing but the camera. I did not purchase the camera as I already have examples of DS and SS M3s and my main collecting interest is in LTM models anyway. Our little collectors group here in Dublin met outdoors a few times during the Summer, but the latest lockdown measures in Dublin mean that we cannot even do that. As for the Leica Archives they currently are unresponsive. I am making enquiries about that.

William 

11 minutes ago, willeica said:

As for the Leica Archives they currently are unresponsive. I am making enquiries about that.

William 

Not for the first time. The query on my 250FF Reporter from 2 years ago is still unanswered. 

Wilson

1 minute ago, wlaidlaw said:

Not for the first time. The query on my 250FF Reporter from 2 years ago is still unanswered. 

Wilson

I am escalating the issue. I suspect that resources are very constrained in Wetzlar just now and that priorities have had to be redefined. I am also concerned about the number of factory prototypes that are appearing in the Leitz Auction. I have written two reviews for different publications of the book 'Museum Leica', by Lars Netopil, but so far the items in that book are not on public display in Wetzlar. Dr Kaufmann mentioned some building conversion issues in Wetlzlar in an interview earlier this year and, of course, the whole Covid situation has not helped.

William

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

Selling off the family silver? 

Wilson

I hope not, speaking as one of the broader 'Leica Family' often referenced.

53 minutes ago, pedaes said:

If you watched the recent session with Dr.K you will know he has some factory records (delivery books) at his house in Austria. Hope he has a good fire proof safe!

That is good to hear and it fits with the possibility that building work is going on in Wetzlar. Somebody sent me some historical documents about the 50mm Elmar which he was said to have posted on a Facebook page, but I have been unable to trace the page. A more structured archive arrangement is required. 

4 minutes ago, FPangrazi said:

A wonderful set. I wonder if this answers Reini's question?

William

My 1967 M4 came new, seated in a dark red flock/velvet covered cardboard cradle inside the crimson box with a black base. It was intended as a dealer display model, so regular ones may not have had this. Inside above the camera, was a flock covered cardboard tray for all the documentation. Sadly the box disappeared during during a house move of my parents in the 1970's.

Wilson

1 hour ago, FPangrazi said:

Wonderful !  So Cattaneo used to have an agreement with a local Insurer to cover 1 year for theft damage etc... I wonder if it was a bonus or a paid option...