What was in the original Leica M3 box?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

A question I haven't seen mentioned or answered anywhere.  When the Leica M3 first came out and still was shipped in the velvet red box, what all was in the package?  I see several of the original M3 boxes for sale on that auction site .... but they are empty and have no internal structure to hold the M3 camera.  Later boxes had flip forward walls and a velvet structure that held the camera but I wonder what structure was in that original doublestroker box.  It's strange that all the boxes I see, including those sold with a camera are completely empty ... no styrofoam, no velvet ... nothing.  I'm guessing that whatever was in there degraded and was thrown away.

I ask, because I just bought a very nice (nearly mint) 705xxx M3 with it's box.  But no structure to hold the camera within.

Perhaps someone here has got the original complete package and can show the unboxing of it?  Pictures are welcomed.   It seems a shame to gave a nice M3 and a box but no way to show it off. 

I'm also interested in what specific manuals, and other detritus was included in these original shipments.

Oh, and yes, I am actually going to use the camera:)

Thanks!

Depends on the box i guess, grey, red, red and white or others i don't know of. Seems to be some velvet in this grey one.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've seen the later ones. Very nice.  Just hoping someone here might have gotten one out the box back in the 50's and can remember how it was packaged.  Or perhaps,  someone has gotten an unused early M3 with the box and packing materials.

It's worth asking though I understand that people might know.  Thanks for the answers so far.  Any other insight?

My M4 came in 1967 in a pale grey Box with a crimson velveteen covered papier maché cradle inside, to hold the camera. The manual and warranty paperwork, in a Leitz branded envelope, came together in a cellophane sachet, sitting on top of the camera. It may have been wrapped in tissue paper originally and maybe in a cellophane bag. When it had been opened by the dealer first thing, on the same day my father bought it for me, it had been planned it would be the dealer's demo camera and they must have chucked the coverings. Lizars found a nice beige velvet bag (which I don't think was original but was marked Leitz) to put the camera in when sitting it back in its box. It was the same beige velvet material as the bag that holds my ABLON and ABCOO, each in their individual leather cases. Sadly the original box and velvet bag are long gone. I bought an original manual a few years ago, albeit a later edition (1972) and I would quite like to re-acquire an original box for my M4. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The oldest M3 "manual" I had in my collection ( and still have) is in French and dated August, 1956. Here are a few illustrations : the "cover" consist of eight pages (four recto-verso) folded in four. The free booklet inside has 36 pages. First three images are of front and back pages and inside of the "cover", two following ones of the front and back pages of the instructions booklet, and the last one illustrates the typical content.

The oldest M3 "manual" I had in my collection ( and still have) is in French and dated August, 1956. Here are a few illustrations : the "cover" consist of eight pages (four recto-verso) folded in four. The free booklet inside has 36 pages. First three images are of front and back pages and inside of the "cover", two following ones of the front and back pages of the instructions booklet, and the last one illustrates the typical content.

attachicon.gifL1080758.JPG

attachicon.gifL1080759.JPG

attachicon.gifL1080763.JPG

attachicon.gifL1080760.JPG

attachicon.gifL1080761.JPG

attachicon.gifL1080762.JPG

I have that same manual in German from 1957. I also have some bits and pieces like the little silver shield that opens with details inside and some certificates of importation for the US from the same era. I don't as yet have a box for an M3, but a fellow member of our collectors' circle here in Dublin tells me that he has an M3 in its original box. I will see it at our meeting on next Tuesday and will report on anything interesting that it might contain.

William

• Like 2

Mine came (in 1968) with the red and white box, instruction book and a guarantee card from the Canadian distributor (Walter A Carveth). It all in the loft somewhere!

Gerry

Edited by gyoung

Was there ever a period when the cameras also came in faux lizard skin boxes like my MR Meter box or were those boxes a Metrawatt product? 

I wonder if someone made a cine film of themselves unboxing their new M3?

People were more 'sensible' in those days before social media and rampant consumerism. My favourite new M3 story concerns Miles Davis who said that he left it on the exposure settings made by the store clerk when he bought it. He did, however, appear sporting a Leicameter on his M3 at the Newport Jazz Festival, from where the M3 made it onto an album cover.

William

• Like 7

My earliest M3 instruction manual is dated April 1954, and has photos of camera 700059.  This camera does not appear to have the so-called "corner" on the top cover in front of the frame counter. It does have the 4 screw top plate, 200 ASA and other early features.

• Like 1

I have that same manual in German from 1957. I also have some bits and pieces like the little silver shield that opens with details inside and some certificates of importation for the US from the same era. I don't as yet have a box for an M3, but a fellow member of our collectors' circle here in Dublin tells me that he has an M3 in its original box. I will see it at our meeting on next Tuesday and will report on anything interesting that it might contain.

William

Thanks William. I'm excite to hear what he tells you.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far.  I really like the later boxes with the fold down front and velvet bed for the camera.  I guess I was surprised when I recently obtained a 1954 camera with original box but found there was no additional materials or evidence of how it was packed in the box.  Peeked my curiosity, hence the posting.  I look forward to hearing more.  The M3 boxes look so classy on the outside so I thought they must have had equally classy innards.

• 3 weeks later...