Adding EXIF to film scans

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found an app “film rolls” which allows you to record exif data and notes for each frame as you shoot film. It also records time stamp and geo.

So far so good, however there is no simple way to apply this to the scanned files. App exports the info in a XML format. That’s all. At least it is a record of the roll. For now I am simply planning to copy this file in the same folder where scans are kept. It will be useful for a reference if needed. Better than carrying a pencil and a paper.

Does anyone know a better way to record the EXIF info?

• Like 1

To add exif data to film scans later:

exiftool forums have lots of example files that you can copy, paste, customize, and save as a executable batch file

for example :

# ExifTool option file for adding data to scanned files

-AllDates=2016:04:20 12:00:00-04:00
-Make=NIKON CORPORATION
-Model=NIKON F3
 -FocalLength=55
 -FocalLengthIn35mmformat=55
 -LensMake=Micro-Nikkor
 -LensModel=55mm f/2.8
 -MaxApertureValue=2.8
 -Lens=Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8
 -LensInfo=55 55 2.8 2.8
 -ExposureTime=1/500
 -FNumber=5.6
-ISO=100

The file is a simple text file, change properties to make it executable..and run it from the command line

ideally create one for each lens / camera combo

Edited by frame-it

Manually running exiftool command line for each scan is painful. I wish someone had written a script to read XML (from film roll app or some other app’s output) and create corresponding exiftool command.

For now I am adding tags in LR for camera, lens and film info. This is faster than running exiftool plugin. For me the use of this information is to be able to search later. Tags allow me to go that.

• Like 1

I wish someone had written a script to read XML (from film roll app or some other app’s output) and create corresponding exiftool command.

Forgive my ignorance, but are you sure you want to write XML? When settled, we can proceed. Thank you.

Manually running exiftool command line for each scan is painful. I wish someone had written a script to read XML (from film roll app or some other app’s output) and create corresponding exiftool command.

For now I am adding tags in LR for camera, lens and film info. This is faster than running exiftool plugin. For me the use of this information is to be able to search later. Tags allow me to go that.

If you are on MacOs, you can use a drop folder with a script attached. Use Automator to include the script shown above (I haven't looked at that script but it's fairly similar to the one I use).

Or you could use a paid product called Hazel. I use this for a lot of automation and it's really very good.

Or you could use a paid product called FullFrame. I have started using the demo version a couple of days ago and so far I like it.

why manually for each scan ? you can batch process the whole folder..sort out pics into folders based on lens or whatever...and run the process for each folder

BTW in flickr it shows like this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

why manually for each scan ? you can batch process the whole folder..sort out pics into folders based on lens or whatever...and run the process for each folder

BTW in flickr it shows like this:

Adding camera and lens info for a set of photos is easy. I use LR plugin to do that (it runs exiftool in the background). The complexity is in adding aperture and shutterspeed info since each frame can be different. I will have to run this plugin one by one for each frame. Since this information is recorded by “film roll” in an xml file, I was wondering whether I can use that to run exiftool script. Edited by jmahto

If you are on MacOs, you can use a drop folder with a script attached. Use Automator to include the script shown above (I haven't looked at that script but it's fairly similar to the one I use).

Or you could use a paid product called Hazel. I use this for a lot of automation and it's really very good.

Or you could use a paid product called FullFrame. I have started using the demo version a couple of days ago and so far I like it.

Thanks, I will take a look at full frame.

Forgive my ignorance, but are you sure you want to write XML? When settled, we can proceed. Thank you.

XML is written by the app “film rolls” based on information captured as I shoot film (I manually noted down camera, lens, aperture and shutterspeed in the app). I was wondering whether this file can be used for driving exiftool automatically.

this might work better for you then

https://marc.vos.net/downloads/setexifdata/

Adding camera and lens info for a set of photos is easy. I use LR plugin to do that (it runs exiftool in the background). The complexity is in adding aperture and shutterspeed info since each frame can be different. I will have to run this plugin one by one for each frame. Since this information is recorded by “film roll” in an xml file, I was wondering whether I can use that to run exiftool script.

• Like 1

this might work better for you then

https://marc.vos.net/downloads/setexifdata/

It is still setting EXIF for the pictures one by one (aperture and shutterspeeds may be different). LensTagger plugin for LR essentially does the same thing from within LR.

Adding corresponding tags in LR is simpler.

Alternatively I am thinking of taking my film camera picture from top using cell phone after each click. By uploading both scans and cell phone picture, I will be able to tell which lens and what settings (f,t) were used. It will also give me time and geo. If I want to add this info to EXIF later then at least I have the record.

Edited by jmahto

I may be missing something, but don’t you first have to record the data somewhere as you are taking the pictures so that you have something to digitise later, on paper or some software on a phone or whatever else you are carrying around with all your other photographic gear.

I use the basic facts as the file name when I scan a print or negative ie, date,camera,lens,speed,f-stop,film,developer.

If you want to be a real Leica-nerd you would use the camera body that accepted the little data strips that slipped in the base and had recorded what you wrote on them onto the film.

I found an app “film rolls” which allows you to record exif data and notes for each frame as you shoot film. It also records time stamp and geo.

So far so good, however there is no simple way to apply this to the scanned files. App exports the info in a XML format. That’s all. At least it is a record of the roll. For now I am simply planning to copy this file in the same folder where scans are kept. It will be useful for a reference if needed. Better than carrying a pencil and a paper.

Does anyone know a better way to record the EXIF info?

what about PhotoExif?

http://photistics.com/

• Like 1

I may be missing something, but don’t you first have to record the data somewhere as you are taking the pictures so that you have something to digitise later, on paper or some software on a phone or whatever else you are carrying around with all your other photographic gear.

I use the basic facts as the file name when I scan a print or negative ie, date,camera,lens,speed,f-stop,film,developer.

If you want to be a real Leica-nerd you would use the camera body that accepted the little data strips that slipped in the base and had recorded what you wrote on them onto the film.

Yes you do need to record it first. I mentioned app “film rolls” that allows you to do that but doesn’t help in applying that to exiftool. It seems that photoexif tool mentioned above by Bart is doing it. I am yet to explore that. Edited by jmahto

XML is written by the app “film rolls” based on information captured as I shoot film (I manually noted down camera, lens, aperture and shutterspeed in the app). I was wondering whether this file can be used for driving exiftool automatically.

Yes, you could use an XML file as a source for batch encoding using Exitool. But to be honest unless you done this sort of thing before, or don't want to get your hands dirty with tools like Automator or Hazel, I think you'd be better off using FullFrame or something similar. I have searched a bit and FullFrame is the best I have found, it's also very useful as a sort of instant asset manager when importing from you SD card (this part is of course not applicable in your current case) . Or even as a DAM (digital asset manager).

Edited by ianman

i tried this today...quite cool

https://sourceforge.net/projects/analogexif/

Downloaded but this one again solves the 2nd part (of applying EXIF). The first part of recording data as you shoot has to be done manually.

Currently testing Photoexif app. The recording part is cool. The app just looks like made for manual film cameras like M2. Very simple. Haven't tested the export and applying to EXIF. Will wait for the roll to finish and developed.

I don't bother with recording the aperture and shutter time for each exposure because I've never found it to be particularly useful or important to save. Camera, lens, etc, are the key things I want film camera exposures to have associated with them. 

I don't change lenses very often, when I do and I'm using an uncoded lens on digital, or a film camera, I take an exposure noting the lens I have fitted. I use EXIFtool and script it to jam in the EXIF data. Easy.