Seeking advice - Elmar-R 180mm f/4 or APO Telyt-R 180mm f/3.4 ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two local camera store options to buy an immaculate Elmar-R 180mm f/3 for $375 at one store, or, a worn APO Telyt-R 180mm f/3.4 for around $700 at the other store.  

My intent with a 180mm will be to pair with my M10 for flower photography (for distant water lilies in a pond), and for occasional motorsports (for fixed focus on a specific point in a race track). For both kinds of photography, I will use a tripod (flowers) or a monopod (motorsports), ISO 100, and an aperture at around f/5.6-f/8.  I have read about the reported sharpness of the APO lens and its' advantages, as evidenced by the 2x to 3x sale price for that lens over the f/4 lens.

That said, I also already own a nice Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS that gives great image quality, and wonder if it there is anything to gain, image wise, in buying either of the Leica options. (I also own the R 60mm, 100mm macro and 350mm options for my flower and motorsports photography, when those lengths are needed).

Given the type of use I plan to do, occasional use of a 180mm shot on a tripod and at f/8, does either of the Leica 180mm lenses offer anything better in image quality?  Is the Elmar-R f/4 option, immaculate and at just $375, good enough for how I would use it?

Thanks in advance for all comments.

UPDATE, I purchased the APO version and traded in the Nikkor 180mm.

Have a good luck with the 180/3.4 APO! I never use it wide open; rarely at f/4. I found it is superb from f/5.6 to f/11. Consider that the 180/3.4 is a Mandler design, that has 50 years! May be the 180/2.8 APO is better, but I don't need it.

Fernando.

• Like 2