Death of Q in Venice

Ari Kfir

Gary, many thanks for your kind feedback.  If you permit me to make a suggestion, go to Venice in one of two off-season periods, early winter or spring, stay in Cannaregio, eat where locals do it.

Ari

• Like 1

Gary, many thanks for your kind feedback.  If you permit me to make a suggestion, go to Venice in one of two off-season periods, early winter or spring, stay in Cannaregio, eat where locals do it.

Ari

A good plan Ari, but unfortunately we are going late August, not ideal, but it is what it is. We were there for 7 nights last year similar time, and again 7 nights this year.

We stayed at Guidecca, perfect location, and ate like you suggested. Guidecca is far from the mad rush if you want that, we did. But equally only a short ride to be amongst it all, if needed.

Gary

• Like 1

I trust you're fully recovered?  Lovely photos, and I hope your Q & 109 are insured.  BTW:  Years ago when Barbara slipped into a river with her Leica 10X25 bins on.  Leica found they could not be repaired but gave her a greatly discounted price on a new pair.

Good to hear  you recovered promptly ! Did you taste the water from the canal !?

As a side note, I fell last month from a steep mountain ledge, 9 stitches on the forehead ...  the SL 601 also  hit the rocks, the camera base was dented but the SL carried on working fine and the 35 summilux AA unharmed  !

Last shot before the fall:

42075828444_a166d61e5a_b.jpgAnimas by JM__, on Flickr

Best regards,

Jean-Marc.

Edited by JMF

Respected colleagues, two shots attached were made by Q in Venice, to which I am returning every couple of years for many decades.  To tell you the truth, nothing photographically great about them – just my first night walk in the beloved city, in the area I always stay, visit to the local craftsman who knows me, first shots made.  Well, a few minutes after the second shot was made I managed to take a spectacular fall in the canal which sent me to a hospital and killed Q and 109.  So, take a look and make smiles – death in Venice is a dream.

attachicon.gifArtiste_L1000769.jpg

attachicon.gifCannaregio_L1000776.jpg

Hi, you did what I've always wanted to, accidentally falling in the canal, I mean. Without my Q ! Is it still in the canal ? Nice shots anyway.

Maybe it’s a Venice thing. My M9 shutter broke there. I think a fall into the canal would have been lethal - it was minus 4 in January. Commiserations on the Q

Things happen but the main thing – you & I are still around!

Thanks for the feedback.

Good to hear  you recovered promptly ! Did you taste the water from the canal !?

As a side note, I fell last month from a steep mountain ledge, 9 stitches on the forehead ...  the SL 601 also  hit the rocks, the camera base was dented but the SL carried on working fine and the 35 summilux AA unharmed  !

Last shot before the fall:

42075828444_a166d61e5a_b.jpgAnimas by JM__, on Flickr

Best regards,

Jean-Marc.

Many thanks and best wishes to you, Jean-Marc.

Fantastic timing and atmosphere in your first picture. So very sorry to read about your traumatic experience. Hope you will soon be recovered.

The Q and 109 work so well as a travel pair. Have you managed to replace them?

• Like 1

Fantastic timing and atmosphere in your first picture. So very sorry to read about your traumatic experience. Hope you will soon be recovered.

The Q and 109 work so well as a travel pair. Have you managed to replace them?

Dear Sir, many thanks for your kind feedback.  Yes, I fully recovered and nowadays the experience, while ending in physical trauma and financial losses (the insurance company refuses to pay for cameras as there is no police report), looks too me personally like a rather comical.

Q was replaced, just got myself a used CL.

Best wishes!

Edited by Ari Kfir
  • Like 2

Dear Sir, many thanks for your kind feedback.  Yes, I fully recovered and nowadays the experience, while ending in physical trauma and financial losses (the insurance company refuses to pay for cameras as there is no police report), looks too me personally like a rather comical.

Q was replaced, just got myself a used CL.

Best wishes!

I'm an attorney in Florida, but I would suggest that the absence of a police report would not be a defense for the insurer to not pay for your claim. I would suggest that you speak with an attorney and/or file a small claims court against. (By the way, in Florida, if you prevail on a homeowner's claim, you will be awarded attorneys fees and that is a big motivator for insurers to resolve claims such as yours). 

• Like 2

I'm an attorney in Florida, but I would suggest that the absence of a police report would not be a defense for the insurer to not pay for your claim. I would suggest that you speak with an attorney and/or file a small claims court against. (By the way, in Florida, if you prevail on a homeowner's claim, you will be awarded attorneys fees and that is a big motivator for insurers to resolve claims such as yours). 

Makes sense to me. What if you dropped your camera off a cliff into the ocean? Would you be expected to call the police to report the incident in order to be reimbursed by your insurance company. People file claims and get paid all the time without involving the police.

• Like 1