MP 240 Alignment isuue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While on vacation the cover over  the neck strap slipped back from its seated position and with taking the camera from the bag

the strap was not engaged fully in the metal ring on the factory neck strap. when the camera was hanging  the strap slipped from the ring and the camera dropped to the cobblestone walkway.

Luckily i had a UV filter on and it took the impact of the drop, and on the corner of the body above the rangefinder window is it is dented but only slightly, and no damage to the window.

But now when focusing the  horizontal lines within the 2 patches do not align horizontally, but the camera still focuses perfectly when vertical lines in the 2 patches aligns.  The patch that moves,  the horizontal image lines within the image patch sit above the the fixed patch image horizontal lines.  I would say the horizontal lines are misaligned about 5% .                            

Prior to the drop the horizontal lines overlapped/sat over each other perfectly.

Is there a way to remedy this other then send the camera in for repair/adjustment to Leica?

Edited by lexontario

Yes, you can remove the red dot (by twisting it with your thumb to loosen the adhesive and slide it off) and adjust the vertical alignment with a 2 mm Hex key.

However, if it hit so hard as to upset the RF alignment, there is a possibility that other parts like the sensor might have shifted, that the lens mount shifted or that the body shell has cracked. Any of that would mean that the lens-sensor alignment is off, which you would not notice immediately as it may be subtle according to the amount of damage, but it would affect your images.

I would have the camera checked out by Leica., 

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. I have an MP240 so I removed the cover screw and adjusted the alignment with the 2mm hex and got the alignment set.

If it moves out of alignment from use I will have to send it to Leica to get checked and repaired...

I will have to find a new strap assembly that cannot slip off the metal ring that attaches to the body, the plastic cover that slips over it is not secure enough and can slide off.The Leica strap supplied is really not a fully secure system This time i got off lucky !

People often forget that they have to slide the cover over until it clicks. If done properly it is hard to get it to slide off. It is an extremely secure system.

Question:
How do I attach the strap?

Answer:

1. remove the ring from the loop of the strap and attach to the lug of the camera
2. slip the loop of the strap onto the ring
3. slip the loop round and make sure that both arms are on the inside of the loop
4. push the plastic retainer over the ring
5. snap the plastic retainer in place. This may take a bit of force.

It is essential for the security of the attachment that steps 3,4 and 5 are executed properly.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Yes that is the style of my strap. Somehow the plastic retainer will not stay securely in place, so I sewed a thread into the strap against the retainer

so that the retainer cannot back out from its seated position.

I did not enjoy watching my MP240 with 50 APO LHSA drop to the cobblestone ground

Yes that is the style of my strap. Somehow the plastic retainer will not stay securely in place, so I sewed a thread into the strap against the retainer

I did not enjoy watching my MP240 with 50 APO LHSA drop to the cobblestone ground

You need to push that black plastic piece down pretty hard until it clicks into the lock position.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Seated is not enough, you must lock the retainer by pushing it all the way home until it snaps in. Anyway, even if the retainer should not lock and ride up, it is still quite unlikely that the camera can fall off, as the split ring will still be holding the strap.  

The strap is secured by the split ring, if you don't fit it properly and leave one arm outside, the plastic lock will not engage and the strap will slip off the single arm, not being retained by the opposite arm, with the result that you witnessed.

I strongly suspect that you did not have  both arms of the split part of the ring inside the loop, just one, as it takes those two errors combined to get the strap to disconnect. See images 2 and 3.

In other words, if the plastic retainer does not lock with a snap, you know that you have done something wrong in the steps before. 

• Like 1

I had a similar impact except that I fell and my M landed on the extended hood on my Summilux M 50 ASPH. The hood was partly crushed. I had a tiny mark on the top edge of the body next to the viewfinder as well.

In my case the lens needed to be completely readjusted although it appeared to still work (using liveview). The complexity and tolerances are critical of course. I would suggest that you do have your APO 50 serviced too.
My RF patch was our of line too. I did have that serviced by Wetzlar as well. The camera does get a complete check out and adjust/clean as part of that and it came back in perfect condition (as did the lens). 
I keep insurance for my equipment and both repairs were covered.

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 1

Years ago I once found that one black retainer piece had come loose. But, as Jaap described, proper strap attachment prevented a similar disaster. Since then I routinely check both retainers before I go out to shoot. Just habit, not real need, as they’ve remained secure since.

Jeff

• Like 1