Lyon One Challenge : 13/10/18

I am driving off to Croatia and Bosnia later this week, so just filled up with 98 petrol. As my car is a plug in hybrid and has a 80 litre tank, this is the first time I have put in any petrol since June. I got a bit of a shock at the price which was €1.66/litre. Good thing I use so little of it. 

Wilson

According to that chart, diesel in France is on average 1.48 Euros while in the UK it's 1.50 Euros on average. However where I live diesel is currently available from £1.30 at the suppermarket. That French price converted to Sterling at tourist rates (say 1.06 Euros to the Pound) is £1.40.

The place to fill up is Luxembourg if you want really cheap fuel, but that's a bit out of the way.

With less than four weeks to go, I’m starting to really look forward to this Challenge. Lyon looks like a really interesting city.

I have attached this year’s instructions and look forward meeting friends old and new on 13th.

attachicon.gif180916 Lyon Instructions (sm).pdf

Dear Andy, dear all,

Perhaps it is also good to state that reservations for dinner cannot be changed after Wednesday 10th in the evening, and after that date payment is due even if no show up. Also, we have to pay a 40% deposit 8 days before, so the approximate number of hungry photographers should be clear by then ;)

The restaurant provides a vegetarian option for the evening, but they need to know the number in advance, so please let us know asap.

Rgds. Christoph

Edited by christoph_d
  • Like 4

One thing I've really enjoyed at past One Challenges that has faded away in recent years is the informal meet up for a beer and a natter and maybe a bite to eat on the Friday evening*.  Can anyone who's familiar with Lyon suggest a suitable place where there's a bit of room and no irritating music that makes you have to shout to be heard?  If no suggestions are forthcoming then I'll see what looks suitable when we get to Lyon.

Pete.

*or maybe it's still happening and I've just not been invited. :lol:

Edited by farnz
  • Like 4

Friday evening will be fine for me to join that informal bite :-)

@Christophe, if you want prepayment of the diner, I can contribute for the deposit as well, so please tel us know!

Looking forward meeting  all of you again, and sorry for those that cannot make it this time!

John

• Like 2

One thing I've really enjoyed at past One Challenges that has faded away in recent years is the informal meet up for a beer and a natter and maybe a bite to eat on the Friday evening*.  Can anyone who's familiar with Lyon suggest a suitable place where there's a bit of room and no irritating music that makes you have to shout to be heard?  If no suggestions are forthcoming then I'll see what looks suitable when we get to Lyon.

Pete.

*or maybe it's still happening and I've just not been invited. :lol:

I thought that was a certainty. I seem to remember we've done it at all the challenges we've been to. We'll be arriving sometime Friday afternoon and I'll certainly be thirsty.

That reminds me, must book a ferry and hotels soon.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately it’s looking like I won’t be able to make it this year, so please remove my name from the list for dinner.

Sorry I won’t be able to join the fun....

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon, so sorry you will not be able to make it. From a purely selfish point of view, how will we find our way without your guidance?

Cheers, Tom

Hi!!

Yes, A meeting on friday is a very good idea...

I don't know very well Lyon but traditional restaurants are called "Bouchons"... 

https://www.thefork.com/restaurant+bouchon-lyonnais+lyon

Maybe in one of these? There is an interactive map on the website.. Depending of your accomodations...

Eager to be there :-)

D

• Like 1

I thought that was a certainty. I seem to remember we've done it at all the challenges we've been to. We'll be arriving sometime Friday afternoon and I'll certainly be thirsty.

That reminds me, must book a ferry and hotels soon.

Cheers

I don't disagree, Tom, but it seems to have faded a bit in recent years (please understand that in no way is this a pop at Andy!) and has been achieved ad-hoc through private messages rather than there being a general invite which could be posted on, say, this thread to let everyone who might be interested know where to join us.

Pete.

I don't disagree, Tom, but it seems to have faded a bit in recent years (please understand that in no way is this a pop at Andy!) and has been achieved ad-hoc through private messages rather than there being a general invite which could be posted on, say, this thread to let everyone who might be interested know where to join us.

Pete.

Well, it won't surprise you to know that I'm up for it Pete.  Look forward to chewing the fat with all assembled on the Friday evening.

• Like 1

Pete.

Pete

I don't think that we have ever attended one of the Friday night get togethers and (don't take this the wrong way) are content to meet up everyone on the Saturday, which is where my responsibility for the event begins and ends as far as the meeting element is concerned  (with the assistance of others, in this year's case).

Feel free to use this or another thread to organise a Friday session.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, Andy, I remember meeting Ann and you for the first time during a Friday evening get together in Valletta, which was my first One Challenge.  I suspect that Azzo arranged the venue and I recall that it was a very enjoyable evening although the walk home was a tad wobbly (which, ahem, I put down to the cobblestones moving about).  :D

Pete.

• Like 1