Lyon One Challenge : 13/10/18

Breathalysers no longer needed in France, but reflective vests are.

The story was that the French factory that made them was owned by the brother in law of Sarkozy, who happened to pass the legislation.

If I remember it's one reflective vest needed per car, where as in Spain it's one per passenger. 

Edited by stunsworth

I'm very sad to say that Marilyn and I won't be able to make Lyon. The event clashes with a big family anniversary here in the UK that we would also very much like to attend. Have a great time everyone.

We are though driving through Europe earlier in the Summer, and Marilyn has just sent off for the car air pollution rating sticker (about 4 euros). She got sent an on-line receipt, saying that the receipt would serve to keep one out of trouble if the sticker hadn't arrived in time (they did quote up to 6 weeks). Be aware that the on-line application requires you to attach an electronic copy of the Vehicle Registration Document ("log book" in old money) with a maximum file size of 400kB. We found that scanning the second page (the one that matters) in monochrome and saving as a .jpg met the limit without further processing.

Our understanding was that you needed a reflective vest for every available seat in the car (so we've always had 5) stored accessibly inside the vehicle, but that might have been the AA website giving a worst case to cover all of Europe.

• Like 2

I'm very sad to say that Marilyn and I won't be able to make Lyon. The event clashes with a big family anniversary here in the UK that we would also very much like to attend. Have a great time everyone.

Our understanding was that you needed a reflective vest for every available seat in the car (so we've always had 5) stored accessibly inside the vehicle, but that might have been the AA website giving a worst case to cover all of Europe.

Gosh that sounds like a very large reflective vest, John!  :D

I'm very sad to hear that Marilyn and you won't be able to join us in Lyon but hopefully I'll see you in York.

Pete.

• Like 2

John, sorry to hear that, but family comes first. I'll have a glass of red on your behalf.

My sticker arrived in a lot less than 6 weeks, but I'm guessing that depends on the demand at any particular time.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone help a newb out and please elaborate? What's the One Challenge exactly? Do users of this forum meet at a certain place to take photos and the best n ones will be awarded with goodies?

It takes place at a different European venue each year that's chosen through the forum and members participate using a Leica camera or lens or both.  It's called the One Challenge because participants using one camera body and one focal length are allowed one hour (it's been increased to 2 hours now) to shoot up to one roll of film (or up to 36 digital pictures) at one ISO value and subsequently submit one picture for judging by any members of the forum.  The identities of the members who took the pictures that are submitted for judging are withheld to avoid accidental favouritism and the judging usually takes place three or four weeks after the Challenge itself.

Typically about 30 or 40 members take part in the Challenge, which is always held annually on a Saturday in mid October, and most gather for a pre-arranged dinner on the Saturday evening.

So far the One Challenge has been held in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Krakow, Valletta (Malta), Venice, Palermo, Copenhagen, Wetzlar, Istanbul, Vienna, Lisbon, and Rome.

You would be most welcome to join us in Lyon this year and in my opinion it's largely a social event for which the One Challenge presents a focal point (if you'll excuse the unintended pun).  Members from Germany, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, UK, the Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Greece, USA, Japan, and Australia have participated in the past.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 5

Sorry to hear that John. I will miss you and Marilyn. 

• Like 3

I'm very sorry to hear Marilyn and you can't come, John.

To cover all countries, one probably needs one yellow and one orange reflective vest for each seat in the car, since some countries would like to see an orange one (although most have settled for yellow). Well, when I'm travelling, I'm renting a car on location and rely on the rental car company to provide all legally required vests, first aid kits, stickers, shotgun holders and the likes in the car when I take it over.

Stefan

• Like 4

As promised above, I am delighted to say that Christoph and Veronique have put together a Guide to Lyon, with some ideas about restaurants, hotels, trips etc. The only thing that needs to be sorted is the lunchtime meeting venue.

It's too large to attach as a PDF here, so I have placed it into a Dropbox, from where it can be downloaded.

It looks like it's going to be a good weekend!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bopag22c5ikfhtf/Welcome%20to%20Lyon%20%28sm%29.pdf?dl=0

My best thanks to Veronique and Christoph for this guide, it is very well made and nicely designed.

Stefan

• Like 4

We need to find a venue to meet at lunchtime and we also need to gather numbers for the Saturday dinner.

The former will take some more research, but as for the latter, I will start things off:-

Andy and Ann Barton.

• Like 2