Lyon One Challenge : 13/10/18

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well at least I've got the ferry booked. We're leaving Dover on Friday lunchtime and ambling down via who knows where. Aim to get to Lyon the following Friday afternoon in time for the pre-challenge drinks. Once someone has decided on a location I assume it'll be posted to the "WhatsApp" group.

You're leaving it a bit late aren't you? Can a Land Rover travel that far so quickly?

I'm travelling across the channel on Wednesday afternoon, staying in St Omer Wednesday night, and then staying somewhere between St Omer and Lyon on Thursday (possibly Nuits St George). I can do this because I have a 'proper' car <grin>.

Not sure if I'll be out on Friday night, I'm staying with friends so may be with them. If a location is decided can it be posted here as I don't use WhatsApp?

The intention was always to post details of the Friday night evening here, Steve, although I'll also post it on the WhatsApp group that's set up for the Challenge.  Unless someone can suggest a suitable venue for Friday evening it'll have to wait until we arrive.

If anyone attending the Challenge would like to join the WhatsApp group then please send me your mobile number by PM.  It will help if you've already downloaded WhatsApp.  (I'm aware that some people prefer not to use WhatsApp.)

Pete.

• Like 1

You're leaving it a bit late aren't you? Can a Land Rover travel that far so quickly?

I'm travelling across the channel on Wednesday afternoon, staying in St Omer Wednesday night, and then staying somewhere between St Omer and Lyon on Thursday (possibly Nuits St George). I can do this because I have a 'proper' car <grin>.

Ah Ah, I'm using the TT so watch out for a red blur and be careful of the wake it leaves as I zoom past. I actually got the Clean Air Sticker and so am going to use this to off-set the need to tape the headlights up. 

Look forward to catching up with you over the weekend so we can reminisce about the grim north and Yates & Greers pork pies.

Cheers, Tom 

Edited by lanetomlane

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/285752-lyon-one-challenge-131018/?p=3594231

At the top

Cafe de Fourviere.

11 Montee Nicolas de Lange,

69005 Lyon

I'm probably missing something, but when I look at that address in Google street view I get someone's front door near the cathedral at the top of the hill.

Do you still have to tape up headlights? I thought that modern ones didn't need taping. Mine didn't when I was over there in the spring.

I think so - unless the dipped beam can switch from left to right. I never bother, but then I don't tend to drive much in the dark in mainland Europe.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm probably missing something, but when I look at that address in Google street view I get someone's front door near the cathedral at the top of the hill.

Me too, but I am assured that the entrance to the cafe is up there. It has a covered terrace that overlooks the square nearer the cathedral.

I think so - unless the dipped beam can switch from left to right. I never bother, but then I don't tend to drive much in the dark in mainland Europe.

I have LED lights and there is no way that they can be adjusted. I checked in the handbook and it said that it wasn't necessary. I assume that the sharp cut off at the top of the beam means that they don't dazzle oncoming traffic. They do adjust automatically for load in the car.

I think that if you have what are called 'adaptive' headlights you do not have to do any taping up because the top of the beam of light is flat and not angled upward toward oncoming traffic. But if you don't have those sort of lights (and most cars don't) you should still tape up. 

• Like 1

Ah Ah, I'm using the TT so watch out for a red blur and be careful of the wake it leaves as I zoom past.

I didn't realise you had an Audi. I hope you check the indicators are ok before you set off as they don't seem to be working on many of the Audis I come across.

• Like 4

Do you still have to tape up headlights? I thought that modern ones didn't need taping. Mine didn't when I was over there in the spring.

They don't have to be providing you don't mind dazzling the locals. Try explaining to a French bobby that your car doesn't need them, it's so much easier to stick a bit of black insulating tape somewhere on the headlight, they can't tell if it's in the right position!

I recently bought a BMW GS1200 and the manual for that says you needn't worry.

Edited by lanetomlane

Watch for the police on the autoroute down from the coast.

And remember that the 90 KPH limit has been reduced to 80 - most signs will likely still read 90. When I was in France in July the only place were the signs had been replaced seem to be just before a speed trap.

• Like 2

They don't have to be providing you don't mind dazzling the locals. 

I was just following the advice from BMW.

In the old days, it was easy to see where the black tape should go on the headlamp, as the lens was actually part of the outer glass. Now, it's just clear plastic, with a sophisticated LED bulb system behind. 

I did have to drive in the dark and in the rain and never had any flashes of discontent from oncoming foreigners.

I called them up and they do exist! They said they really give onto the concourse.

• Like 4

Same here, download didn't work on the continent either.

I'm still not on whatapp but can offer Apples Imessage or Threema.

Alternatively I will check here where the crowd will have moved to on Friday (assuming this is correct future perfect in English).

Stefan