Lyon One Challenge : 13/10/18

Names on the people who were at lunch, for anyone interested.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

David, Dan and Ritsuko

• Like 8

Lynn and Eileen

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Charles and Elizabeth

Edited by StS
Should add a picture
  • Like 7

Tom with Ritsuko and Dan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ritsuko, Dan, Tom, Eileen, Lynn and Stefan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Tom, myself and StS

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

A very unscientific analysis of the cars in the street outside my friends in Lyon indicated that around one in five cars had the supposedly mandatory emissions sticker. 

And here’s something just for Tom, the finest pork pie in the world from Yates and Greer. 

• Like 2

I have the emissions sticker (Cat 1 as it is a petrol plug in hybrid). I suspect it will all fade away like the carrying breathalysers did. Mine are now about 6 years old and totally expired but at least I can show willing. 

Wilson

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

I have the emissions sticker (Cat 1 as it is a petrol plug in hybrid). I suspect it will all fade away like the carrying breathalysers did. Mine are now about 6 years old and totally expired but at least I can show willing. 

You could be right, it certainly didn’t seem to be of interest to many Lyonais.

My car’s a 2 litre diesel so I was quite surprised to discover it’s only category 3. 

Edited by stunsworth
  • Like 1

Since it’s based on particulates and Nitrous oxides rather than the CO2 tax bands we’re used to it is designed to target local health issues rather than “global” ones. It seems perhaps a little surprising when one is used to the UK vehicle tax structure. My 4litre V8 twin turbo petrol engine which is Euro6 compliant is the same Cat 1 as Wilson’s hybrid.......

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NigelG said:

Since it’s based on particulates and Nitrous oxides rather than the CO2 tax bands we’re used to it is designed to target local health issues rather than “global” ones. It seems perhaps a little surprising when one is used to the UK vehicle tax structure. My 4litre V8 twin turbo petrol engine which is Euro6 compliant is the same Cat 1 as Wilson’s hybrid.......

Our BMW 218i Active Tourer is also Euro 6 compliant, and C1. (UK car tax £30 per annum.)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, masjah said:

Our BMW 218i Active Tourer is also Euro 6 compliant, and C1. (UK car tax £30 per annum.)

But if your car has a list price of over £40k and was registered after April 2017, irrespective of emissions, years 2 to 6 attract an additional premium of £310 per annum. So my 2017 Merc, which is pretty clean for its size and power should only be £140 a year to tax based on emissions. But it’s not, it’s £450. And if that’s not daylight robbery, I don’t know what is.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jcraf said:

But if your car has a list price of over £40k and was registered after April 2017, irrespective of emissions, years 2 to 6 attract an additional premium of £310 per annum. So my 2017 Merc, which is pretty clean for its size and power should only be £140 a year to tax based on emissions. But it’s not, it’s £450. And if that’s not daylight robbery, I don’t know what is.

Same for me. My Panamera 4 E-Hybrid should be £130 but instead I just paid £440 last week. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Same for me. My Panamera 4 E-Hybrid should be £130 but instead I just paid £440 last week. 

That must smart even more for a hybrid, Wilson.

It's all gone totally pear-shaped, and I for one don't buy the diesel demonisation.  There are diesels...and then there are diesels. My day to day company lease vehicle is a newly-released 2018 model, with a brand new design of highly efficient small diesel engine.  When I tried to park it on a London street recently, in addition to the exorbitant fee, I was going to be charged an extra 8 quid because I was driving a diesel car with an engine which was, seemingly, emitting the poisonous and foul discharge from Satan's bottom itself.  Madness.

Anyhow I guess we're way off thread from Lyon. Which was massively enjoyable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2018 at 2:38 PM, stunsworth said:

A very unscientific analysis of the cars in the street outside my friends in Lyon indicated that around one in five cars had the supposedly mandatory emissions sticker. 

And here’s something just for Tom, the finest pork pie in the world from Yates and Greer. 

Why did you have to go and this. I'd just got over the urge after talking about them in Lyon. Am presently in Xiamen, China and could kill for one instead of duck intestines, snakes gaul bladders and chicken feet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2