andybarton

Lyon One Challenge : 13/10/18

4 minutes ago, farnz said:

I'm just looking at my PDF of the Challenge arrangements and I can't see what time we need to be at Brasserie le Nord for dinner. Could someone very kindly remind me please?

Pete. 

7:30 for eight. 

A really big thank you to Andy, Christoph, and last but not least, Veronique for organising a superb One Challenge here in Lyon today. All topped off with a wonderful meal tonight at ‘Le Nord’. Great to see everyone. 

Safe travels home, and here’s to Seville 2019! 

10 minutes ago, jcraf said:

A really big thank you to Andy, Christoph, and last but not least, Veronique for organising a superb One Challenge here in Lyon today. All topped off with a wonderful meal tonight at ‘Le Nord’. Great to see everyone. 

Safe travels home, and here’s to Seville 2019! 

Indeed, congratulations to all involved in organising it. I really enjoyed the meal and company.

Sorry I couldn’t take part in the night challenge as I had to get the metro back. I look forward to seeing all the entries. 

I’ll probably be going to Perpignan next September so won’t be able to make Seville. However it’s twelve months off and anything can happen between now and then. 

Adding my best thanks to Veronique, Christoph and Andy as well and to everyone for joining and taking part. Lyon is certainly a place to come back to.

As as side note, la cafè du SNCF is not brilliant but actually pretty good for train coffee. Having had the chance to compare, I wish we could have Japanese train service at home. If this is not possible a TGV will do as well, merci bien.

Stefan

Same here.

I have to admit that I prefer the TGV over the ICE. Which might be less relevant in the near future, since Alstom and Siemens Mobility plan to join forces in the light of the growing competition from China and Korea.

Stefan

May I add our thanks to Veronique, Christoph and Andy for their organization of a memorable challenge. We enjoyed ourselves and all of your company and are looking forward to the next time. 

My thanks too, to Veronique. One of the best meals and wine lists we have had. 

I will learn from you - any other tips for next year would be greatly appreciated. 

FYI: this weekend: 

Lyon 46N-5E; sunrise 0754 and sunset 1859

London 51N-0; sunrise 0721 and sunset 1812

Seville 37N-6W; sunrise 0830 and sunset 1950 

Spain is in the wrong time zone - instead of following Europe at (British Summer Time) BST+1; it should actually be either BST or BST-1 hour. 

This is an explanation of why the Spanish get up late and eat very late - they are simply following circadian rhythms and I suggest we do that as well next year. Anyway, it will be hard to find a restaurant that opens before 9pm, so set you expectations now, that it will all me much later next year; a later lunch and a later dinner and a later start to each day.  

Would it be worth finding one or two hotels and see if they can do a deal for a group? Obviously those wanting to do their own thing would not have to be bound to the suggested hotel(s) but it could be beneficial to some.