Jump to content
andybarton

Lyon One Challenge : 13/10/18

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

Leg one of journey - done. 

UK’s friendliest airport awaits tomorrow morning. 

Have fun. I’m in St Omer. The area around the hotel is full of trenches. I must try to not fall in one of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the weather improves for you folks. About 300km south of Lyon, it is horrible at the moment. Very heavy rain and blowing a gale. I see that similar is forecast for me on the Sunday, driving to the Tunnel from Dijon. Look forward to seeing all Saturday lunchtime. 

Wilson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

I hope the weather improves for you folks. About 300km south of Lyon, it is horrible at the moment. Very heavy rain and blowing a gale. I see that similar is forecast for me on the Sunday, driving to the Tunnel from Dijon. Look forward to seeing all Saturday lunchtime. 

Wilson

The current forecast is sunny and mid 20s until Sunday. Then rain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say that, if the airport is as good as the Holiday Inn, 3 minutes walk from the terminal, we are in for a good experience tomorrow morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, andybarton said:

I have to say that, if the airport is as good as the Holiday Inn, 3 minutes walk from the terminal, we are in for a good experience tomorrow morning.

It’s an airport, it won’t be <grin>. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a great time everyone. Marilyn and I are really sorry that we can't make it this year (especially since Lyon was in any case one of the places we'd got down as a must visit).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The airport we are using today is “London” Southend. 

They have only got about 20 flights per day, so it’s all very relaxed when compared to LHR or LGW, our usual airports of choice. Dead easy to get through security, with staff who were actually friendly and with a smile. Amazing really  

And there’s no temptation from daft expensive concession shops. 

It’s all very civilised so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, andybarton said:

The airport we are using today is “London” Southend. 

They have only got about 20 flights per day, so it’s all very relaxed when compared to LHR or LGW, our usual airports of choice. Dead easy to get through security, with staff who were actually friendly and with a smile. Amazing really  

And there’s no temptation from daft expensive concession shops. 

It’s all very civilised so far. 

I started to learn to fly at what was then called Southend-Rochford in the early 1970's. The only commercial activity at that point was the Bristol Freighters, which made a wonderful noise, taking off at full throttle with their Bristol Hercules engines. After the freight operation went bust, they left a Blackburn Beverley sitting on the apron. The field manager asked if anyone could start it up to move it out of the way to the other side of the field, as it was too heavy for the very small tug that they had. I and two instructors from the Aero club spent the best part of a day with the flight manual trying to start this thing. We finally got the turbine APU running then the two inner of the four Centaurus engines started, having filled most of the airfield up with burnt  oil smoke and moved the aircraft off to the hangar side of the field. I wonder what happened to it in the end, as I stopped flying when private aviation was suspended for 6 months, during the 1973 fuel crisis.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the final tgv from Paris to Lyon. Looking forward to meet everybody on saturday.

gerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Friday's informal meet up.

For anyone whose interested in an informal get together on Friday evening for a pint or two, or whatever's your favourite tipple, and perhaps a bite to eat then the initial venue is Viktor at the corner of Rue Victor Hugo and Place de Carnot at 07.00-ish.  We might not stay at Viktor for too long since it will be Friday night and it might fill up quickly. If we do move on then I'll try to keep people update by posting on here but if WiFi's not playing nicely I might have difficulty doing that and will resort to the WhatsApp group but by all means text me or others and we'll let you know where we are.

We'll play things by ear so depending on how many turn up and what people want to do, we'll think about eating when people are ready and Tom has bought me lashings of ale (as he's bound to want to do).

Pete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately we are not able to join this year's Challenge after 5 years of uninterrupted attendance. Hope you all are having a lot of fun and good light in Lyon.

Remember: "Taking pictures is like tiptoeing into the kitchen late at night and stealing Oreo cookies" - Diane Arbus. 

Have a ball!

Dagmar & Carsten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, farnz said:

 Friday's informal meet up.

For anyone whose interested in an informal get together on Friday evening for a pint or two, or whatever's your favourite tipple, and perhaps a bite to eat then the initial venue is Viktor at the corner of Rue Victor Hugo and Place de Carnot at 07.00-ish.  We might not stay at Viktor for too long since it will be Friday night and it might fill up quickly. If we do move on then I'll try to keep people update by posting on here but if WiFi's not playing nicely I might have difficulty doing that and will resort to the WhatsApp group but by all means text me or others and we'll let you know where we are.

We'll play things by ear so depending on how many turn up and what people want to do, we'll think about eating when people are ready and Tom has bought me lashings of ale (as he's bound to want to do).

Pete. 

Pete, I’ll try and make it, but no guarantee I’m afraid. 

Data roaming in the EU now comes out of your UK allowance, so posting shouldn’t be a problem. 

I think Tom will blanch when he sees the beer prices, the best idea is to carry a few cans in your camera bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×