Possible to turn off constant metering

rontool

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have noticed that the M10 constantly meters when the camera is on, and honestly I am wondering how much battery this takes to be constantly metering even if the camera is not up to my eye. Is there any way to make it so that the camera only meters when I half press the shutter button like on classic film cameras?

Given how small the battery was and how long it lasted powering the metering on film cameras, I think the extra power the meter uses whilst the camera is "awake" is negligible. 

Actually, half pressing the shutter and keeping it pressed, locks the exposure, as in exposure lock.

If you fail to take the picture the LED's in the viewfinder remain lit and the camera continues to meter until the camera sleeps or you power it off.

Adjust the "automatic power saving" menu item to your requirements to make the camera sleep sooner.

Older camera had no off switch.  It was assumed camera was kept in closed case or camera bag.  Current passing thru meter was dependent on brightness, low light, less current.

Lens cap should solve your problem or turn camera off.

I feel the less switches , the fewer failure points exist.