Noctilux 75/1.25 images

On 3/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, Exodies said:

I can see only two choices - do nothing or buy a 75 Noctilux. There is absolutely no point in contemplating any other course of action.

Do nothing is a bit extreme. Does that include not breathing?

Am 14.3.2019 um 02:37 schrieb IkarusJohn:

I like the 75mm field of view, compared to the 90mm - can't explain why.

I love the look of the 75 Noctilux, but have been fighting GAS over it. 

If you were to succumb to the temptation, there is no buyer's remorse with this lens. Just thought I'd mention it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From the images posted from the 75mm Noctilux it strikes me as insanely good. I'm just not insane enough to give Leica the big bucks. (I am happy with version 1 of the Summilux. I doubt my talent justifies the Noctilux. Does yours?)

2 minutes ago, pico said:

From the images posted from the 75mm Noctilux it strikes me as insanely good. I'm just not insane enough to give Leica the big bucks. (I am happy with version 1 of the Summilux. I doubt my talent justifies the Noctilux. Does yours?)

No

Dear Pakeha:

Thank you for your photographic submission to our publication. While the editorial staff was 100% impressed by every aesthetic quality, when we examined its EXIF we found it was not made with Leica's 75mm Noctilux, but by their inferior 75mm Summilux, therefore we must reject your submission.

Please keep in mind and share with your peers that we regularly pore through accepted photographs to reject any previously made with technology considered to be inferior today.

Our modest collection of photographs largely of house cats will attest to our veracity.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Everybody’s talent justifies the 75 noctilux. You only have to be able to point and shoot and it will be more interesting than any other lens you pointed and shot. Why haven’t I got one? I’m afraid that SL primes will be even better. And I’m afraid a new SL is due in months.

• Like 1

With the SL3 there won’t be a need to point and shoot anymore. One will simply scan a scene and AI and Deep Learning will allow the camera to choose a series of well composed frames. It’ll come with a 16 mm fixed lens and a 120 MPx sensor. The software will then emulate most lenses wide open and crop accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:55 AM, FrankX said:

That's what I thought before I read a very good article of a well-known photography teacher about DOF a year ago! However, it is really a myth that a longer focal length gives you a shallower DOF for a portrait like that posted above! Because of the higher magnification (smaller viewing angle) the background is more blurry, but that has nothing to do with the DOF at subject distance.

The DOF only depends on the f-stop and not on the focal length. The reason is that you have to go further away with a 75 mm to achieve the same framing! For a 50/1.4 the DOF is about 1.7 cm at a distance of 75.5 cm. For a 75/1.4 the DOF is exactly the same (1.7 cm), but at a distance of 113.3 cm. Changing the f-stop to 1.25 changes the DOF to 1.5 cm. That's only 2 mm less than with the 50/1.4 and very difficult to see in a portrait like the one posted above. 

The statement of shallower DOF is only true if you keep the distance constant. At the same distance used with a Lux50 (DOF 1.7 cm) you will get roughly 0.7 cm with the Noc75. In that case, however, your framing changes dramatically. Thus, this effect is not really relevant for your photography in most cases.

You can check all these facts with a DOF simulator like this: https://dofsimulator.net/en/

By the way that's the reason why many new owners are surprised that achieving exact focus with a 75/1.25 is easier than focusing a 50/0.95. The only problem with the RF is that the eyes to focus on get significantly smaller with longer wavelength. Thus, it is probably a good idea to use a 1.4x magnifier or having very good eyes 😉 

Considering the often discussed 'the fall off from critical focus', I believe that this has more to do with a faster decreasing contrast vs. decreasing sharpness. See Thorsten von Overgaard's interview with P. Karbe on the Summicron 50 APO.

So why use a 75 instead of a 50 (for portraits)? You will have less perspective distortion of the face because of the longer distance from the lens to the subject. (This type of distortion is not related to focal length or lens quality. Another myth... another story.)

Hope these explanations help a little bit...

Since Nocti 75 mm has such a thin DoF it limits one's choices of picking up more freely a scene, a distance to the subject, a shooting angle. More narrow area in focus means you have a fewer choices to express the essence of your work. Forced to do more with less.

It is a challenge... Is it not?

Edited by skater75

2 hours ago, skater75 said:

Since Nocti 75 mm has such a thin DoF it limits one's choices of picking up more freely a scene, a distance to the subject, a shooting angle. More narrow area in focus means you have a fewer choices to express the essence of your work. Forced to do more with less.

It is a challenge... Is it not?

Depends on what one's objective is. It's a bit like using a micrometer instead of a tape measure. Carefully choose the tool to fit the job. 😉

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, erl said:

Depends on what one's objective is. It's a bit like using a micrometer instead of a tape measure. Carefully choose the tool to fit the job. 😉

Anyone has an example of how to express yourself using a micrometer...? Having sharp focus area width of just 50 mm to convey one's objective...? Not a trivial task... imho ))))

3 hours ago, skater75 said:

Anyone has an example of how to express yourself using a micrometer...? Having sharp focus area width of just 50 mm to convey one's objective...? Not a trivial task... imho ))))

You quite right, it is not a trivial task. In photography, nothing is.

Expressing oneself with a narrow depth of field gives the photographer a unique opportunity that cannot be afforded by any other technique.

I am not conversant with the 75 Noct, but have used the 50/1.0 Noct extensively for 20(?) years. Notwithstanding the fact that I have two other 50mm lenses, the 50 Noct turns in a different image always. It paints with a brush that no other lens does. I suspect the 75 Noct may also.

59 minutes ago, erl said:

You quite right, it is not a trivial task. In photography, nothing is.

Expressing oneself with a narrow depth of field gives the photographer a unique opportunity that cannot be afforded by any other technique.

I am not conversant with the 75 Noct, but have used the 50/1.0 Noct extensively for 20(?) years. Notwithstanding the fact that I have two other 50mm lenses, the 50 Noct turns in a different image always. It paints with a brush that no other lens does. I suspect the 75 Noct may also.

Just to demonstrate my point here is a Noctilux 75 mm sample. I focused on the tip of the nose, and the left eye was already off... )))

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

3 hours ago, skater75 said:

Just to demonstrate my point here is a Noctilux 75 mm sample. I focused on the tip of the nose, and the left eye was already off... )))

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I totally see your point. To be pedantic, it is 'usual' to focus on the eyes. It would be perfectly possible to have both in focus, but of course the nose would b OOF.

That is a classic case of using too wide an aperture for the shot, if you want the nose in focus as well, with which I would agree.

Otherwise, yes nice pic.