Sensor fine on the MM1

Flight959

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good day to you all,

I am very new to the is forum and to Leica Cameras. I have read multiple threads with regards to the sensor corrosion problem on the MM9.

Can I ask members who "haven't" had an issue, to chime in just so I can live in the comfort of knowing that not all mk1 Monochrom bodies suffer from This blight.

I recently purchased a 2nd hand M Monochrom and I'm loving it. Seems like alot are having this sensor issue.

Kind regards

Simon

Flight959

Both my new M9 and MM1 bodies required sensor replacement within a year or two of being placed in service.There is a long running poll on RangeFinderForum that asks for user experience with this issue.  The majority of respondents report either they definitely do not have the issue or that they have seen no sign of it.  At this point in time I believe the odds are good that your MM1 has either a replaced sensor of the new design or one of the original sensors that most likely would have experienced the issue by now if it was going to.

I suspect you will get other replies that will have a different perspective.

Edited by Luke_Miller

Mine is in Wetzlar right now.  My M9 got the new sensor about a year ago.  

I would NOT buy a camera from that generation unless I got assurance that the sensor was replaced.  If done outside warranty, estimated cost is around 1100 Euros...

• Like 1

Is there anyway to tell if the sensor has been replaced in the absence of any supporting paperwork? The camera only had around 7k actuations when I purchased it. Is there anyway to check the age of the camera using the serial number?

Regards

Both my ME and MM1 had corrosion and were fixed free of charge by Leica, albeit after a six month wait for each. He ME was repaired by Leica NJ whereas the MM1 was repaired by the mothership in Wetzlar. The NJ papers are rather cryptic about the nature of the repair, although given the extensive corrosion on that one it’s evident to me that a the repair involved a new sensor. The MM1 papers are much clearer about the nature of the repair.

As for the corrosion, I think it’s a matter of time. They will likely all corrode.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there anyway to tell if the sensor has been replaced in the absence of any supporting paperwork? The camera only had around 7k actuations when I purchased it. Is there anyway to check the age of the camera using the serial number?

Regards

Yes - contact Leica with the serial number.

• Like 2