Tri-Elmar (16- 18- 21) and MP (240)

Jean-Michel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking of replacing my CV21 lens with either the 21 SEM or the tri-Elmar. There is a WATE in apparently new condition available to me for just under 5k Canadian.

I am happy enough with the CV 21, but in spite of coding it as an elmarit, I still often get clolour shifts at the edges, not always but often enough. Correcting those in LR or Cornefix do not always result in the best image.

I gather that the SEM 21 does not suffer in this way.

I wonder if users of the tri-Elmar on an M240 have any issues with it.

I also have an M9 but would not use the WATE on it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with either of these two lenses.

Jean-Michel

I own the 3 lenses you mentioned.

Yes, FlatField or Cornerfix are generally OK to correct the CV's edges. FWIW, it requires little correction on the M10, so you may want to keep it if you are planning to upgrade in the future. There are no red edges with the SEM or the WATE on the M240.

In terms of sharpness, the SEM is marginally better than the WATE at 21mm if you like pixel peeping in the corners, but both are fantastic lenses. The small difference in speed is also irrelevant in practice.

To my eyes, the SEM has a somewhat more modern rendering (ie, 'clean', high-contrast, sharp tonal and oof transitions, etc.).

But I'd say the key trade-off is mostly between small/light and less expensive vs. larger/heavier and more versatile - the 16mm and 18mm focal lengths can be pretty useful in tight places.

Jean-Michel,   I owned the 21 SEM and went to the 16-18-21 Tri-Elmar.   The 21 SEM is a true masterpiece of optical design and rendering.  But for me, after a lot of research, I decided to get the Tri-Elmar.  It gave me two additional focal lengths and nearly the same IQ as the 18 and 21 M primes.  Plus, it is small and light weight compared to carrying several primes.  I use the Tri-Elmar for landscape photography.  I have no regrets for buying the lens.  For me, it renders superbly and my clients are very happy with the results. You didn't say what the intended genre of photography the two lenses are being considered, but for landscape photography, both lenses are excellent.  As for the M240 when I owned that model, I didn't have any issues with the lenses, both worked perfectly.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark 

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

I was in the same boat years ago when I was looking for an ultra wide lens. I vacillated between the 21 SEM and the WATE, oftentimes spending an inordinate amount of time at my local Leica store comparing the two lenses. The 21 SEM may have a bit of an edge when it comes to sharpness and distortion, but In the end, the versatility of the WATE (because of its true zoom lens design) won me over.

On the M240 the WATE is just a stellar optic: no color shifts, excellent corner sharpness, pleasing color rendition, very good balance and handling. I also use it on my M9, M10, SL, and even on my MP with similar results. BTW, I use the Leica Universal Wide-angle Viewfinder (aka Frankenfinder) when using the WATE on the M9 and MP.

At 21 mm, the Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 mm Asph has marginally more lateral chromatic aberration than the Super-Elmar-M 21 mm Asph but significantly less vignetting. The Super-Elmar is a stellar performer ... and yet, I prefer the Tri-Elmar.

I too love my WATE. I just got back from Wetzlar and Leitz Park and used it quite a bit. Came in very handy at Ottmar Michaely's workshop which is quite small. The WATE saved the day here.

I will be putting my 21/2.8 ASPH and ZM 18/4 up for sale, as I can't imagine using them over the WATE.