Peter Karbe lecture on new lenses at the Leitz Park opening

Good lord, the 35/2 MTF's look just like closely aligned parallel lines ..... :huh:

Excellent; I belong to those (few?) never falling in love with the 35Lux-M due to field flatness (or lack thereof) and the tendency for double-edge bokeh. The 35SL looks optically perfect, interesting indeed...

• Like 3

If you have the opportunity to compare the 35 Lux M with the (ten years newer) 28 Lux M, you see just how much lens design has continued to evolve.  It seems that the chance to rethink the design of the 35 with internal AF using light elements, and the ability that the SL structure offers of moving each lens element separately rather than having two groups as in the FLE designs is like another ten years advance.

• Like 3

The S System wasnˋt mentioned yesterday in Karbe‘s lecture. Only M, SL and TL/CL.

Perhaps this is the wrong forum for the question, but were there any lenses or updates mentioned for the M or the TL/CL? 

• Like 1

The 35/50 are SL lenses, not CL. They cover the FF sensor.

Given the CL's 1.5X expansion factor, they make sense for use on the CL as well.  There is no CL 50/1.4 offering, and the CL 60 APO macro is an f/2.8, so the SL 50/2.0 does fill a gap, and the two 35 lenses would offer two approaches that are similar to the flavors of the 50 SX and the APO 50 SC in the M mount lens line.  I have an order in for the SL 50 Summicron, and expect to use it with both cameras.  I use one of the M 50s fairly often at present with a CL.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Why would you not live stream or at least put online a video of a company presentation. Especially where there is such a hunger for information as in the Leica world. Could it be that exclusivity is a more important message for them?

• Like 1

Given the CL's 1.5X expansion factor, they make sense for use on the CL as well. There is no CL 50/1.4 offering, and the CL 60 APO macro is an f/2.8, so the SL 50/2.0 does fill a gap, and the two 35 lenses would offer two approaches that are similar to the flavors of the 50 SX and the APO 50 SC in the M mount lens line.

I understand the SL lenses can be used on the TL/CL. The question asked was wether any TL/CL lenses were discussed and none were.

I don’t see the Summicrons making up for a missing 50/1.4 in TL/CL mount. There is already a 35/1.4 and the 60 macro isn’t much slower than the new Summicron 50.

I don’t see the Summicrons making up for a missing 50/1.4 in TL/CL mount. There is already a 35/1.4 and the 60 macro isn’t much slower than the new Summicron 50.

There is  a Summilux 50 for SL.   Very big and heavy but excellent.   Are you suggesting a smaller version somehow?  I'd be for that.

Considering APS-C format what would be purpose of 50mm lens forTL/CL? There are already Summicron 23mm and Summilux 35mm TL lens which have FOV of 35mm and 50mm respectively on full frame.  Any deiidicated 50mm lens would be 75mm FOV, unless question is specifically with respect to short telephoto.

Edited by mmradman