Very tempted to buy a Q, should I wait for Leitz Park 2018 announcements?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very tempted to get a Leica Q, however I'm not sure if I should get a new one or a used one.

Used ones sometimes show up in the market for less 1000£ than new ones, but you really don't know how the previous owner handled the camera and I wouldn't want to have to send it to Germany for repair and wait months.  Another reason I wouldn't mind shelling out the money for a new one is that I have had very bad customer service experience with Sony UK to the point I don't want to buy anything from them.  I expect Leica to provide top notch customer service and that would justify paying more for their products, in my opinion.

Is there any chance in the Leitz Park 2018 event they will announce any improvements to the Q system, and therefore I should wait?

There's a great deal of speculation on the subject, generally caused by a website with Leica rumors.  You can see the lengthy discussion at this link: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/285080-leica-cm-ml-new-leica-mirrorless-announcement/page-1.  The later entries suggest we may hear more any minute from Leica HQ.

I just got the normal edition.  Very happy with it.

Quick question: I got the finger loop attachment and the corresponding grip.  However people told me to get the Q protector and the thumb grip.  I really like the finger loop as it gives me a lot of extra security when handling the camera one handed but on the the other hand it doesn't protect the camera as the Q protector does.  Any advice?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the Leica grip, finger loop, and also the thumb grip, and among those I find the thumb grip the least essential (I ordered all of that as soon as I got my Q but if I knew how well Leica grip and finger loop work for me I would have not bothered with the thumb grip at all). Of course, if you go with the Leica grip you have to give up on half cases.

Instead I purchased the smallest high quality bag I could find (which fits perfectly when you carry just the Q with the grip and finger loop attached):

https://www.billingham.co.uk/72.html

It's a very high quality bag and water resistant. I also have the Billingham Hadley small for occasions when I want to take something else along with the camera (filters, Lieca table tripod, etc.).

I already owned a billingham hadley digital which serves me well, though the 72 looks even smaller!

The finger loop and grip are very handy, too bad they don't protect the camera body.  I think it would be nice to have a single product with both features, finger loop, protection and grip.

I didn't wait and got myself pre-owned the Q few days before June 14. I'm glad that I didn't wait and Leica Q is perfect with my style and compact enough for travel/hiking. Please don't wait for Leica Q II because it wouldn't be out sometime next year or longer.

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, photon17 said:

I started this thread back in June 2018.  If I knew the Q2 was coming I would have waited 8 months 😭

So if you don't want to repeat that mistake maybe instead of buying Q2 right now you should open the Q3 thread so that 4 years from now when it's released you will feel really good about it (probably even get 100mm digital crop option thrown in by Leica as a bonus). 🤞

Maybe you bought the Q because the focal length of 28mm is perfekt for you, then you should still be very happy that you enjoy that camera for over 8 monthths by now. The lens of the Q2 is the same and by some serious tests we could read (Reid and others) you are still perfectly fine with your Q. This is my opinion.