Leica Watches - L1 & L2 - what do you think?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Smart phone, be it one with Leica camera or not, is already "Swiss Knife" - it can tell time, take stills and videos, brows internet, be used as GPS device and even be used as conventional phone.  A while back there was prestigious line of Nokia phones dressed up in precious metal and gems, surprised Leica didn't try this...yet.

The Nokia line was called VERTU, http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/luxury-mobile-phones-for-nokia-excess-is-a-vertu-a-525218.html

Vertu went bust so maybe not such a good idea  :)

Thanks Stuart

As I suspected the thingy for removing stuff from horses hooves has gone. I'd like to see someone scaling a fish with it though - looks potentially very messy and I imagine that the scales would be in it forever. No phone, watch or camera though.

When I see a phone with a fish scaler I will know that the world has finally gone completely mad (or perhaps madder?).

Out of curiousity- is anyone on this thread actually considering buying one of these watches?

I probably missed it, but so far I don't remember seeing a single post either here or at other forums (i.e. dpreview) where someone is actually considering buying these watches.

Probably not. They initially plan only 200 to 300 units I read. 

I would not be totally surprised to find they are being discounted in 18 months or so. Porsche watches are often heavily discounted after a couple of years, all except the IWC ones. 

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While I do like fine watches, as a customer of Leica photographic products, I wish they wouldn't dilute their corporate focus with bling. Leica has perennial problems shipping its photographic products in quantities sufficient to meet demand. Many of us wait months--even years--to receive products.  "No, you can't have the lens you you've asked for since it is back ordered until Leica turns 150 and you can't have the lens you sent in for repair 3.5 years ago, but how about buying our new watch?"

I'd hate to encourage more of this dilution of corporate attention, so, no, I wouldn't consider buying one of these, regardless of how well made they are.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/30/2018 at 11:33 PM, Ron Weissman said:

While I do like fine watches, as a customer of Leica photographic products, I wish they wouldn't dilute their corporate focus with bling. Leica has perennial problems shipping its photographic products in quantities sufficient to meet demand. Many of us wait months--even years--to receive products.  "No, you can't have the lens you you've asked for since it is back ordered until Leica turns 150 and you can't have the lens you sent in for repair 3.5 years ago, but how about buying our new watch?"

I'd hate to encourage more of this dilution of corporate attention, so, no, I wouldn't consider buying one of these, regardless of how well made they are.

Do you really think that Leica builds these watches themselves? No corporate resources are involved (except maybe the people in procurement, sales and marketing.)

Actually, Leica has been selling watches on and off, ranging from cheap to expensive, for decades.