Winedemonium

Leica Watches - L1 & L2 - what do you think?

I will admit that I not only have a Leica addiction but I also have a watch addiction. Since my first real job back in 1974 when I could afford it, I bought a Rolex and have owned many different ones since then. My current one is a Submariner which I have owned now for several years. It keeps excellent time and in stainless is very durable. But the Leica watches are not to my liking. I would not own a manual wind watch. I think they are great looking but personally I wish Leica would put the R&D into more photo related programs.

I’m not sure when I have last worn a watch – that must have been many years ago. I don’t need a watch to tell me the time, and frankly that was the only reason I have ever worn a watch. I suppose some regard luxury watches as a masculine kind of jewelry but then I couldn’t care less about jewelry of any kind.

Reality seems to have left The Onion behind. On Facebook today:

The Master & Dynamic for 0.95 Headphones collection is now available in silver. Follow the link to learn more on how these sound tools were inspired by the design of the world's fastest aspherical lens

Reality seems to have left The Onion behind. On Facebook today:

The Master & Dynamic for 0.95 Headphones collection is now available in silver. Follow the link to learn more on how these sound tools were inspired by the design of the world's fastest aspherical lens

It's not easy to make money from the headphone business even when you have a great product. Oppo whose planar headphones had a very good reputation, withdrew completely from all their consumer audio business about two months ago. I use a pair of their PM3 headphones with their portable HA2-SE DAC/headphone amplifier when travelling and very good they are too but no longer made. 

FYI There is a lot in this thread about manual wind of these Leica watches -- manuals have the greatest resale value over time. Auto wind do not. So Leica did build something with longer term value in mind. It is also something I will most definitely not be buying.

Noctilux inspired headphones? I take that to mean bulky, heavy, very very expensive and fuzzy sound quality?

Particularly at the edges when used wide open 

I think Van Torsen already asked to get baby Komodo dragon skin for the L strap.

I will admit that I not only have a Leica addiction but I also have a watch addiction. Since my first real job back in 1974 when I could afford it, I bought a Rolex and have owned many different ones since then. My current one is a Submariner which I have owned now for several years. It keeps excellent time and in stainless is very durable. But the Leica watches are not to my liking. I would not own a manual wind watch. I think they are great looking but personally I wish Leica would put the R&D into more photo related programs.

R&D must have been close to nil. They are not making the movement, they are not making the cases, they are not making the straps, i very much doubt that they are making the dial. They are probably only putting the pieces together.

R&D must have been close to nil. They are not making the movement, they are not making the cases, they are not making the straps, i very much doubt that they are making the dial. They are probably only putting the pieces together.

There are quite some mini-brands working this way. I myself own (inter alia) such a “Dutch” brand.

FYI There is a lot in this thread about manual wind of these Leica watches -- manuals have the greatest resale value over time. Auto wind do not...

That's an interesting viewpoint. What makes you think that?

Ernst

Out of curiousity- is anyone on this thread actually considering buying one of these watches?

I probably missed it, but so far I don't remember seeing a single post either here or at other forums (i.e. dpreview) where someone is actually considering buying these watches.

Its a strange world we live in. 

Leica who make cameras and lenses now sell watches. Apple who make computers also sell watches which are actually phones. Huawei sell phones which have Leica lenses in them as they are also cameras, although they are really phones. Its very confusing out there.

What we really need is a Swiss Army Knife type product which can do absolutely everything (although the thing for taking bits out of horses hooves is potentially of limited use today. Dawn of the machines is upon us. What we really need is to discover where we actually fit into all this or whether we are actually becoming irrelevant because everything can do everything without us.

Its a strange world we live in. 

Leica who make cameras and lenses now sell watches. Apple who make computers also sell watches which are actually phones. Huawei sell phones which have Leica lenses in them as they are also cameras, although they are really phones. Its very confusing out there.

What we really need is a Swiss Army Knife type product which can do absolutely everything (although the thing for taking bits out of horses hooves is potentially of limited use today. Dawn of the machines is upon us. What we really need is to discover where we actually fit into all this or whether we are actually becoming irrelevant because everything can do everything without us.

Smart phone, be it one with Leica camera or not, is already "Swiss Knife" - it can tell time, take stills and videos, brows internet, be used as GPS device and even be used as conventional phone.  A while back there was prestigious line of Nokia phones dressed up in precious metal and gems, surprised Leica didn't try this...yet.

The Nokia line was called VERTU, http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/luxury-mobile-phones-for-nokia-excess-is-a-vertu-a-525218.html