Leica M10 Zagato Edition

colint544

I suppose you guys all realise that this is actually a trial run-out of the body shape and style of the new CM to be announced today?

The middle-aged spread on the right gives enough room for the larger battery size that is needed to cope with the extra processing for the EVF (and because all new Leica's must have a new battery and charger - it's the rule). 

ALL special editions are panned for their looks, without exception.

I don't instinctively dislike it. Using aluminium or alloy has to be a step forward to reduce weight. I like the idea of a milled aluminium body. Next step is to get rid of the base plate and just have a single skin machined base unit.

I don't use a grip, so I would rather not have the extra curves this edition has, but plenty of people here seem to like grips and half cases, all adding much more to the bulk than this.

Well worth doing this as an experiment IMO - and it's paid for by rich people who can afford to suffer a few design mishits - what not to like?

The design?

I'd rather have a ≥36MP sensor in a Leica M-P like black paint-body with a nice, high-res, optional EVF that doesn't get in the way of the shutter speed dial.

I like the general concept, not keen on the detail around the front lens element.

Don't think it'll wear too well, then again don't think many will be bough for everyday use.

I note they used a grey dot .... pitty they won't do that for everyday silver M10's

Edited by Eoin

I ask this before I post criticism. There seems to be a division in Leica to test speculative high-end  abstract designs. Can anyone see any connection of Leica's latest proposal to contemporary design that considers functionalism? For example, eliminating the accessory shoe seems a dramatic statement that directs buyers to a different, old-time, pre-digital paradigm. Is that where we want to go?

The Zagato design is cosmetics that trade-away functionality; for what?

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

I ask this before I post criticism. There seems to be a division in Leica to test speculative high-end  abstract designs. Can anyone see any connection of Leica's latest proposal to contemporary design that considers functionalism? For example, eliminating the accessory shoe seems a dramatic statement that directs buyers to a different, old-time, pre-digital paradigm. Is that where we want to go?

The Zagato design is cosmetics that trade-away functionality; for what?

But even pre-rangefinder Leicas of the 1920s had accessory shoes for viewfinders and flash units. I think it's just minimalism.