Leica M10 Zagato Edition

colint544

Indeed. It looks hideous. But the reduced weight of 70 grams due to using aluminium instead of brass would be neat to get in a regular M10.

All the finely milled aluminium groves that is used for the grip is gonna look yellow/brownish and dirty as soon as someone puts their hands on it... 

The most interesting part is that it looks like the lens is a Summilux 35 ASPH FLE with an integrated slide-out hood?

Yes, an M10 weighing in <600g, like the pre-M240 bodies, would be perfection.

• Like 1

That M10's not a Zagato. The one below is a real Zagato, parked outside my house a few years ago on the way to the Rally des Alpes.  :)

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

That M10's not a Zagato. The one below is a real Zagato, parked outside my house a few years ago on the way to the Rally des Alpes.  :)

Wilson

Right in any sense… and btw, I know rather well the present "Zagato" concern, for business.related reasons : the car company is British owned (CPP Milan, still in Arese-Rho, Evisage Group - Coventry) , but Mr. Zagato has kept, in the context of the sale (from bankrupcy) , the right to use the name of other non-car-related styling tasks…

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

That was originally Dr. Zagato's own personal car (chassis #3), which is why it is one of the very few left hand drive DB4GT Zagatos. As most of the other 24 cars were bought for at least part time competition use and, as most circuits are clockwise, irrespective of their country of residence, right hand drive is preferred from the weight distribution point of view. That is why nearly all Ferraris and Maseratis up to the mid 1950's, when they started to make real road cars, not race cars that could just about be driven on the road, are right hand drive. Here is another photo of it looking rather grubby towards the end of the Colorado Grand 1000 mile rally. When we were filling up at this gas station in very rural Colorado, the attendant came rushing out and said: "Guys I think you must have a major leak, as you have put in 50 gallons and you are still filling". After Dr. Zagato's ownership, it was used for serious long distance racing and has the Le Mans 65 US gallon fuel tank, which takes up the whole of the boot. In normal road use it gets around 10 miles to the gallon, with its 4.2L 355 BHP engine on 3 twin choke 48mm Weber DCO carburettors. 

Apologies for going off topic. 

Wilson

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The strap lugs are a great idea, but the rest of it leaves me cold.

The slide-out lens hood looks like it might be interesting, and presumably will appear in a "normal" edition down the line (otherwise, why do they have to have engraving screaming "Zagato" all the way around the lens!). Whether it is deep enough to be functional is another question, however.

But overall, this just makes me think "Hasselblad Lunar".

That was originally Dr. Zagato's own personal car...

Apologies for going off topic. 

Wilson

Elio Z. was a GREAT designer… I have always adimired how him found the way to strongly distinguish its "signature" from the top Italian designers (Pininfarina and Bertone) when he was engaged on specials based on models designed also by the other two (superb examples in Lancia Flavia and Flaminia, in Alfa Giulia and 2600...)

• Like 1

That Aston is very nice Wilson, but my favourite Zagato design is this Lancia Flaminia Sports Zagato, as mentioned by Luigi above.

As for the M10 Zagato, even though I am a collector, I have no interest whatsoever in modern M special editions. Leica produced far nicer design 'icons' in the 1920s and 1930s. That being said, the 'Z' on the side of the Aston and the Lancia might have added a bit more 'zest' to the M10 model. Even with this addition, I still would not buy one. I presume that the company has done its market research on this and other special editions.

William

• Like 2

Might I say: Yuk?

I have to go along with jaapv on this.

Since the advent a couple years back of some of Hollywood's Glitterati deciding that Leica cameras are a fitting fashion accessory/neck trinket for their megadollar fashion ensembles, some folk have declared M cameras to be the overpriced playthings of the barren of photographic talent leisure class.  This kit will only serve to reinforce that undeserved stereotype.

While the Zagato is indeed an eyesore, no camera Leica ever produced will outdo this abomination from 2015 for sheer spontaneous retch inducing fugliness https://leicarumors.com/2015/05/05/leica-mp-gold-peoples-republic-of-china-60-years-commemorative-edition-camera.aspx/

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Golden Leicas are a tradition since the thirties. 

• Like 1

I have to go along with jaapv on this.

Since the advent a couple years back of some of Hollywood's Glitterati deciding that Leica cameras are a fitting fashion accessory/neck trinket for their megadollar fashion ensembles, some folk have declared M cameras to be the overpriced playthings of the barren of photographic talent leisure class.  This kit will only serve to reinforce that undeserved stereotype.

While the Zagato is indeed an eyesore, no camera Leica ever produced will outdo this abomination from 2015 for sheer spontaneous retch inducing fugliness https://leicarumors.com/2015/05/05/leica-mp-gold-peoples-republic-of-china-60-years-commemorative-edition-camera.aspx/

The Ping Pong bat covering version would run this close. In truth, these special editions are not really intended for the market of photo/camera enthusiasts who inhabit this forum. Our views would not really feed into Leica's market research on this topic

William

Golden Leicas are a tradition since the thirties. 

attachicon.gifarticle-0-195CE82700000578-467_634x351.jpg

attachicon.gifleica-m6-king-of-thailand-edition-top.jpg

You are correct, lct. 

I cannot say why, but the antique screw mount cameras that have the gold finish (like your first example) seem acceptable while the king of Thailand M6 is skating on thin ice.

As for the red and gold ChiCom Empire commemorative - it is nothing other than garish, tacky and aesthetically abhorrent.  I would find it that way no matter who or what it was commemorating. 

Call it opinion or personal taste, but putting the ChiCom commemorative in a display case alongside what we see in the display cases of Leica boutique stores would be akin to entering a $100 USD (adjusted for inflation, of course) Las Vegas streetwalker in the Miss Universe beauty pageant. 

Edited by Herr Barnack

This one is for you then.  ;)

Wilson

Looks like the designer liked the DB3 !! 

Edit: I  just read your subsequent post. I had no idea that a Zagato is a DB  :)  :)

Edited by ianman

It will be interesting to see what it fetches. The bar was raised recently when a Ferrari 250 GTO sold for $70 million. There are some nice items in the Bonhams Goodwood Festival of Speed sale, which is coming up, but there are also some ugly modern supercars which are to the DB4 Zagato what the M10 Zagato would be to a I Model A with Anastigmatic/Elmax/Elmar/Hektor or an early M3.

William

This one is for you then.  ;)

attachicon.gifLeicaM4-2_gold.jpg

I'll pass - it's just too gold for my taste.  I have to wonder if it was perhaps marketed as the M4-2 pimp edition?

I like the traditional chrome & black M cameras and the black paint M cameras.  I like my flat black M4-P and the Lenny Kravitz reporter's kit. 

My favorite special edition so far is the stealth Monochrom kit, which is unfortunately out of reach money-wise and will remain so until after they are long gone from dealer's glass cases. 

C'est la vie, just another of my first world "problems."  :)

Edited by Herr Barnack

I'll pass - it's just too gold for my taste; looks gaudy.

I like the traditional chrome & black M cameras and the black paint M cameras.  I like my flat black M4-P and the Lenny Kravitz reporter's kit. 

My favorite special edition so far is the stealth Monochrom kit, which is unfortunately out of reach money-wise and will remain so until after they are long gone from dealer's glass cases.  C'est la vie.

With toothpick any black Leica camera/lens could be made as stealth as above mentioned special edition, unless what really matters is what is written on the box sticker.