M2 shutterspeeds.. what I just noticed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is what I just now noticed (I am still waiting for my M2 to arrive) by looking at the pictures. The shutterspeeds in M2/M3 do not closely correspond to other modern cameras.

Does it create a problem in counting stops? For example, between 1/1000 and 1/10 the difference is 7 stops but there are only 6 numbers.

Shutter speeds between 1 and 1/1000 sec

1/Sec     1    2     4     8     16     32     64     128     256     512     1024  << 11 stops spread

M240     1    2     4     8    15     30     60     125     250     500     1000   << 11 stops spread

M2/M3   1    2      5      10      25     50     100       250     500     1000    << 10 speeds for 11 stops spread!

That is for earlier M3's. My M3's from 1958 and 1959 have:

B  1  2  4  8  15  30  [50]  60  125  250  500  1000

Also, on the M3 you can use intermediates between these numbers.

You are correct. I was looking at the pictures on the internet. I checked the M2 picture that my seller sent me and it has the M240 like shuterspeeds.

Now I can sleep right. :)

Hello Everybody,

I don't think that any M2's have the earlier, 1, 2, 5, 10, etc, shutter speed sequence. I think that by the time that M2's arrived the change in shutter speeds had already taken place. If anyone has an M2 with the earlier shutter speed sequence it would be interesting to see some photos.

Also, with the later M3's with variable shutters: They are NOT variable between "B" and 1 second. Or between 1/8 and 1/15. Or between 1/30 and 1/60 EXCEPT for the lightening bolt signifying 1/50. 1/50 is the 1/2 stop (Yes, 1/2 stop.) shutter speed setting between 1/30 and 1/60.

The gaps in the variable shutters in M5's, Leicaflex's, SL's & SL2's are different again. 

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

I don't think that any M2's have the earlier, 1, 2, 5, 10, etc, shutter speed sequence. I think that by the time that M2's arrived the change in shutter speeds had already taken place. If anyone has an M2 with the earlier shutter speed sequence it would be interesting to see some photos.

Also, with the later M3's with variable shutters: They are NOT variable between "B" and 1 second. Or between 1/8 and 1/15. Or between 1/30 and 1/60 EXCEPT for the lightening bolt signifying 1/50. 1/50 is the 1/2 stop (Yes, 1/2 stop.) shutter speed setting between 1/30 and 1/60.

The gaps in the variable shutters in M5's, Leicaflex's, SL's & SL2's are different again. 

Best Regards,

Michael

You seem to be right about M2. What threw me off was the following pic when I googled for "Leica M2 top plate". I simply looked at the frame counter. Now I notice that this is special edition prototype.

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M3/M3E1-Lars/index1a.htm

Edited by jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Jayant,

Actually, the camera you have a picture of is not the same as an M2. Leitz made a number of special cameras for testing & use by professional photographers. This is 1 of them. Yes, it has the "wheel" for an exposure counter like an M2. This is a variation of an M3 which was built for Alfred Eisenstat. It is engraved "M3E-1" . 

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1